29] Not For The Royals

Everything seemed calm after the destruction of Pekka Rollins, Nina and Diena were sitting together at a table eating waffles, "So you and your slab of Fjerdan fur, met whilst he was going to ship you off to Fjerda?" Diena asked as she popped a pi...

Everything seemed calm after the destruction of Pekka Rollins, Nina and Diena were sitting together at a table eating waffles, "So you and your slab of Fjerdan fur, met whilst he was going to ship you off to Fjerda?" Diena asked as she popped a piece of waffle in her mouth

Nina was filling her in on how she and Matthias had met and Diena had to admit it was quite the love story, Nina nodded, "Pretty much, yeah...but he changed for me. I have to get him out."

"And we will...I'm a sucker for a love story."

Nina smiled, "What about you? There has got to be someone, I mean look at you. Man? Woman? Both? I mean this is Ketterdam. I'm not one to judge."

Diena laughed, "Man...he was here on a break from his work. He ended staying a bit longer than he should've."

Nina seemed intrigued as she leaned on the table, this was the first time since meeting her that Nina had seen Diena genuinely relaxed, not taken over by the idea of revenge, overly paranoid, or constantly looking like she was going to murder someone, "What was he like. Tell me everything. He must've been quite something if he managed to thaw that cold heart of yours. Though I do think that it is all an act."

Diena rolled her eyes with a smile, "He...he made me feel like I wasn't in the Barrel. Like we were in our own little bubble."

Nina smiled, she had never really had a healthy female friendship before. There was Zoya but that wasn't always the best. But with Diena and Inej, that was good, healthy, they were like proper friends.

"Someone somewhere is going to sweep you off your feet, Snake. Mark my words. And me and my slab of fur are going to watch and cheer you on."

Diena laughed, "I can't imagine a Fjerdan, former Druskelle cheering me on, can you?" Nina shrugged and motioned for Diena to carry on, and Diena obliged, "He was going to get pickpocketed, I stopped it..." Nina gave her a look, "I stopped it so I could pickpocket him but I didn't in the end."

Nina looked over Diena's shoulder and noticed something, "Darling, I don't mean to alarm you. But there is a roguishly handsome Shu man, looking at you...very intently, seriously he looks like he's drilling a hole into your head...but softly I guess."