14] Alina

"Think we should help her?" Diena muttered as she watched the lock on the chest where the Sun Summoner was starting to burn the lock off

"Shut up, Snake." Kaz snapped back and Diena shrugged

The lock was then kicked out of the place and the lid of the chest opened, Alina's face fell at the sight of the four of them standing in front of her. Alina reminded Diena of a scared animal trying to get by.

The Shu girl hopped off of the chest, landing on the ground and raising her hands in surrender as she eyed them warily, thinking about what to do next. It was as if she had forgotten that she had the ability to kill them all

"We don't want any trouble." Jesper informed her, though his pistols were in full view

"Neither do I." Alina told them, "So I'll just be on my way."

She made a move to pass by Kaz but he stopped her with his cane, "Don't mind him. He may look grumpy but he doesn't want to hurt you, none of us do." Diena said, for Alina to listen to them she needed to be slightly less scared than she was at this moment

"Clearly you want out of East Ravka." Jesper observed, nodding along with Diena

Inej dipped her head in agreement, not taking her gaze off of Alina, "But we can help you."

"We have a secure route through the Fold." Jesper added

Alina didn't look convinced, "I prefer to travel alone."

"Don't be rash. You stick with us everybody gets what they want." Jesper said

"I'm not being anyone's captive ever again."

Diena chuckled and Alina looked at her, "Who said anything about you being captive? Honey, we're trying to help you out of East Ravka. You're the one who got in our carriage."

"I was-"

Diena cut her off, already guessing what she was going to say, "Running?" Alina nodded, "We're running too. We might've...stolen something from the Little Palace. We should run together."

"That's just going to attract attention." Alina shook her head and internally Diena smiled, Alina was thinking about it

Catching on to what Diena was doing, Jesper joined in, "Please. A Suli, two Zemeni's, a Kerch and now a Shu. We're going to attract attention wherever we go. We're not bad people."

That was a lie. Jesper and Inej weren't bad people. Kaz and Diena on the other hand, that was a very blurred line.

Alina seemed to hesitate for a second but at last she shook her head and looked at Kaz, "Just step aside and let me pass."

"I'm afraid we can't let that happen." Kaz said, and Diena sighed in the space of a second he had just ruined everything that she had just done to persuade the Summoner.

Without a warning, Alina let her power do it's job and created a beam of light strings enough to promptly temporarily blind them.

"Damn Grisha." Diena groaned as she opened her eyes and began blinking away the black spots

Jesper snorted, "Irony."

Loosing the Sun Summoner was the least of Diena's problems. She was sure she could get the money other ways, she didn't need Kaz's payment anymore but the fact that was bothering her was that Inej was on the line. And the Crow Club.

Finding out that Inej's life was on the line, Diena decided she was going to kill Tante Heleen the moment they got back into Ketterdam, she didn't care about what would happen not when Inejs' freedom or Kaz's lifes work was on the line.

Their job had gone from lucky to a chaotic failure in a matter of minutes, some would say it was a sign to stop and go home.

"You know Inej let her go yes?" Diena asked as she and Jesper were attaching a bomb to the door of one of the carriages

Jesper nodded, "I do. I also know that Kaz is going to be livid...hey you looked good in that blue kefta. It suited you"

Diena scoffed, she hated that Kefta, it reminded her of what she could have been and she didn't like it. She much preffered her own clothes, "Me? In a Kefta? Are you short of a marble? You wouldn't see me dead in that thing again. I much prefer who I am now thank you very much."

"And we're done. Shall we?" Jesper asked

Diena smiled as she took his arm and they walked back towards the bar where Kaz was, "The alarm trigger is set."

"Need I remind you that we are not Demo people." Diena reminded Kaz as she sat down, "Horses are ready and we've stashed the rest of our gear."

Kaz looked up at them and nodded, "If we don't move soon, the Black General will be on top of us. We can't waste anymore time looking for the girl."

Inej walked over to them, "I just settled out tab. We still have most of our coin."

Kaz nodded, he was pissed that Inej let Alina go. Diena didn't know who she would have backed in that argument. She knew some people that would say it was immoral to try and capture a Saint, but in the place she had come from immoral was just a way of life.

"We're really gonna leave empty handed, then?" Jesper asked around

Diena shrugged, "We could just try to steal something worth a million Kruge, I'm sure I could find a whisper of something."

Diena's eyes snapped to the window as an explosion was heard from outside and the three sitting down jumped to their feet, "Our alarm."

"Split up." Kaz said as they headed towards the door, "Much easier to take a Grisha one on one than a whole squad of them. Rendezvous at the fountain."

The four of them walked onto the street only to find a group of Grisha standing by the end of it. From the colour of the Kefta's, Diena could guess an Inferni, a Heartrender and two Squallers. One of them being the untrusting Zoya.

In one second they split up.

Thank you for reading

I can whole heartedly say that if Kaz had a best friend then it would be Diena. And over the course of this book he's going to realise it and so will she.

But especially in the next chapter he is going to realise it so much

Question: What do we think Diena's hallucination should be when season 2 happens??

Comment and Vote :)