5] The Conductor

It was easy to say that the Sea Snakes weren't happy that she was leaving, Kit joined the Sea Snakes at the same time as Diena so he was fine with the fact that Vesemir was in charge

Nico and Tess had never worked for anyone other than Diena. Silas made his loyalties to Diena and no one else so working under Vesemir would be a change.

Ivan and Eva knew Vesemir, they trusted him and so long as they had each other they would be fine working for whoever. Just as long as it was one of their own.

The three Fjerdans Anneke, Aaron and Meena were like the Hatchlings they had only worked for Diena and didn't know how Vesemir worked.

Nora kept to herself in her office, she wasn't a fighter or a gambler she was just the books woman. She would report to whoever she needed to.

Klara, Alex, Dara and Sara. Diena knew that the four of them would just get on with it.

She did find it strange, they all knew Vesemir, they all lived with him in The Den. They all ate, fought and laughed with him but when it came to him actually being in charge some of them weren't okay with it.

That may have just been because Vesemir was away a lot so they didn't see him that often. Diena brought this Den of Snakes into the gang, all their loyalties were to Diena. She had earned their trust and Diena could only hope that Vesemir would be quick in earning it as well.

Diena couldn't remember the last time she was out of the Barrel, sure she went to the University District occasionally, or the Merchant District to scare some people off. But nine times out of ten she would send a Sea Snake to do it for her.

So planning on going to West Ravka, to Novokribirsk was sort of exciting for her.

"It's about time." Kaz said as Diena walked towards the carriage where Jesper and Inej were already waiting

Diena chuckled, "Are you an Information Broker who has to get all her affairs in order before she leaves the city, bastard?" Kaz just rolled his eyes, "No, you're not. I'm here aren't I?" She then noticed that Kaz was holding Arken by the back of his coat, and he wasn't dead. Impressive, "Oh, so you found him then?"

Just based on the way that Arken's face had just changed when it dawned on him who was standing in front of him. He knew exactly who Diena was, "Y-You're coming with us?"

"Who else is going to make sure you don't double cross us? In other words. Remember what I have on you." Diena told him, her arms crossed

Jesper leaned over to her, "Please tell me it's something good?" Diena nodded, "Brilliant."

Being stuck in a carriage with The Conductor, Kaz Brekker, Inej Ghafa and Jesper Fahey wasn't Diena's idea of a perfect afternoon but this was just how it had to be if they were going to pull this job off properly.

"I didn't hire you to simply get us across the Fold. You're with us because you smuggle Grisha out of the Little Palace and that's the location of our target."

"Sun Summoner-"

Kaz cut Inej off, "Alleged."

That wouldn't keep Inej down as she continued, "They wouldn't keep a fraud in the most secure location in all of Ravka."

Diena and Jesper weren't very religious, sure they believed in Saints but not to the extent that Inej did, she was religiously traditional, often reciting Suli proverbs as advice and general commentary. Something that Diena liked. Inej kept them all relatively sane.

But Diena had to admit, if the person claiming to be the Sun Summoner was a fake they wouldn't be keeping her in the Little Palace. They would have kicked her out the minute they realised that she wasn't a summoner.

"You said you have a contact who can get us inside. A Heartrender?" Diena asked, she didn't like not having any sway on the other side of the Fold. She much preferred her side of the Fold where she had the power, the information and she was more in control.

Diena had no idea what would be waiting on the other side of the Fold. She didn't like the unknown, she much preferred knowing exactly what she was walking into. With her Sea Snakes hiding, Meena, her spider on the roofs watching and waiting. And Aaron, Silas and Alex ready to fight for her.

Arken nodded at her comment, he wasn't wary of her like other people, he was more scared of her but Diena knew that Aken was one of the most manipulative people this side of the Fold.

Bar the two people he was sitting in the carriage with.

"How do I know we can trust her?" Kaz asked, seemingly thinking the same thing that Diena was

Arken looked at the group, "Nina grew up there."

Kaz didn't look convinced, "Most Grisha grew up in the Little Palace. Very few betray their general, and fewer still would help foreigners kidnap their most prized possession."

Grisha were loyal to the General Kirigan, that much Diena knew

"Nina's a radical. Thinks Grisha should get to choose if they serve the crown. She despises involuntary service more than she does Fjerdans." Arken assured them

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

But when they got to Nina's room, the Ravkan Heartrender was nowhere to be seen, Arken didn't understand where she had gone, "She knew to expect us."

"She isn't late. She's gone." Kaz said

Everyone was looking around the room, Diena had spotted something as they walked into the inn and she didn't like it, "Druskelle." Diena said as she picked up a wolf pin, she glanced at Jesper, "Grisha Hunters."

The prejudice that Druskelle and Fjerdans had against Grisha was something that Diena hated. Men always feared that which they didn't understand and they didn't understand the Small Science of the Grisha.

She couldn't even begin to think about what Nina was going through, she had never witnessed a Druskelle attack but she had heard it all from her three Fjerdans back home. She knew that it would be much worse than anything she had ever done, they treated Grisha worse than animals.

Aaron was a training Druskelle before Anneke let slip to him that she was a Grisha. Aaron gave up everything he had been taught to believe for his sister, so Diena chose to believe that not all Druskelle were bad.

But the vast majority were

"It explains the Fjerdan krydda the innkeeper was counting when we got here. He probably ratted her out." Diena explained

Arken nodded and sighed, "She's probably captive on a ship to Fjerda by now."

Inej was at the window looking out, "They had a clear line of attack."

Kaz looked at her and said, "Take a look. Make sure there aren't any more surprises."

Inej nodded as she pulled her hood up and climbed out the window, "Well, that's that."

Arken sat on the bed saying, "We've lost our way to the Little Palace."

Thank you for reading

Comment and Vote :)