➜ 𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄.

-prologue

-prologue

"HEY, IT'S MAX, LEAVE A MESSAGE, OR DON'T," the phone speaker cheerily chimed with Max's voice, marking yet another failed attempt for Mike to reach Abby's babysitter.

"Come on, Max, come on," Mike muttered to himself.

anxiety gnawing at him as he raised his hand to dial her number once more, the touch tones noises flowing through the room.

The phone rang once more as Mike leaned his arm against the wall, waiting for any response.

"Hey, it's Max, leave a message, or do..." Mike hung up the phone with a sigh, frustration evident in his face.

He gazed at Abby, who was busy drawing, she tilted her head and she gave her older brother a concerned look as he stared back at her.

"Why don't you try calling Maeve?" Abby suggested with a smile. Mike shook his head, sighing once more. "You know she can't come anymore."

Abby blinked at her brother. "Yes, but she won't say no this time. Just try, Mike."

Mike frowned, hesitating as he considered calling Maeve.

The last time he had spoken to her was over three weeks ago when she had come to the mall where he was working within.

She had gone there that day to pick up ice cream for her younger nephew and had greeted him before leaving.

Mike stood in front of the phone, picking up the receiver and slowly pressing Maeve's phone number. The phone rang, and a soft voice spoke on the other side.

"Hello?" Maeve's concerned voice alerted Mike that she had picked up the call.

"Oh, hey... um, hello Maeve."

"Yes, hello, Michael. Is everything okay?"

Mike bit his lip before sighing. "No, I'm sorry to call you at this late hour, but I really need your help."

A small chuckle flowed through the phone before she spoke. "Yes, of course. What happened?"

"Abby's new babysitter isn't picking up my calls, and I work a night shift now, so I need someone to take care of her. I understand if you can't, it was her idea."

Maeve sighed before speaking. "I'm so sorry, Mike, but I'm afraid I can't. You know I'm out of town, so I probably won't get there on time."

Mike nodded slowly, not too surprised by her response, as he knew she no longer lived in their town, which was why she had stopped being Abby's babysitter. "It's okay, Maeve. Sorry for bothering you again."

"You're no bother, Mike. I wish I could help you."

"I should probably go. Goodbye, Maeve. Have a good night," Mike said before hanging up, lost in his thoughts about what to do.

A short moment passed as Maeve stared at her phone, taken aback by Mike's sudden request.

It was a late hour, but she had always cared for Abby and saw her as a little sister. She not only felt like she had let Mike down but had disappointed her favorite girl.

At this moment, Maeve didn't know what to do anymore, except reach for her phone.

Dialing Michael's house number, the phone rang for a while until someone picked up.

"Hey, Mike, can you tell me where you work now? Perhaps I can come and take care of Abby while you work."

"Oh, yeah, sure. I work at the old Freddy's Pizzeria. I'll open the door for you when you get there."

Maeve smiled, satisfied. "Okay, then. Wait for me. I'll be there. Don't worry about Abby anymore."

Before she could close her phone, she bid Mike goodbye and hung up.

She got up from her couch, headed to her room to get ready.

She didn't know the exact location of Freddy's Pizzeria, but she had heard about the place.

It was said to have closed in the late '80s after several young kids went missing, and the authorities couldn't figure out what had happened to them or where have they gone.

Maeve didn't know how Michael ended up working there or what had happened to his old job, but she was determined to help him.

She could see how much he was still affected by the childhood incident and how he felt like a bad brother to Abby.

That's why she didn't mind babysitting Abby one more time, the young girl had a special place in Maeve's heart.

The drawings Abby made of Maeve and the cherished memories they had shared always played in the back of Maeve's mind.

So, what could possibly go wrong when she agreed to babysit Abby once more? Little did she know what awaited her.

-Secreatmaniac