𝟎𝟐𝟐.

-chapter twenty two

-chapter twenty two

MAEVE FILLED THE CUP WITH RUNNING WATER, lifting it to her lips, the dryness of her throat slowly dissipating.

In the quiet, dimly lit kitchen, she took a deep breath, leaning against the counter, the weight of the day clinging to her like a heavy coat.

Returning to the Schmidt house because Abby insisted, Maeve found herself alone with the lingering silence after putting the girl to sleep.

In the living room, Mike sat on a chair, his gaze flickering to the kitchen, observing her every move.

Sighing, Maeve placed the cup on the counter and walked toward the living room, biting her inner cheeks.

"I'll go home now," she said quietly, but Mike looked at her as if she'd suggested something absurd. Shaking his head, "You're not going anywhere, it's late."

"Drive me then?"

"Can't, I'm tired," he stated, turning his attention back to the TV. Maeve huffed in annoyance. "Where should I sleep?"

Mike tilted his head slightly, still not looking her way. "Sleep in my room. I'll sleep on the couch," he offered, catching her off guard. She didn't expect such a gesture, and strangely, it disappointed her.

Rolling her eyes when he looked her way, "Fine," she agreed and proceeded to take off her jacket.

The zipper caught on her shirt, lifting it slightly before she removed the jacket. Her black cami top showcased her figure, her collar bones and curves defined. she walked closer to the sofa, placing her jacket over it, and Mike noticed something on her neck—a hickey.

Swallowing hard, he tried to shake off the strange feeling, a sensation like his skin was on fire.

When Maeve was about to head down the hallway, his voice stopped her. "It still didn't go away?" he asked, perplexing Maeve.

"What didn't go away exactly?" she questioned, and he remained silent, confirming her suspicion.

"No, I guess your 'best friend' tasted so good that one of the hickeys had to last for a week," she replied sarcastically, referring to their previous encounter.

"Come on, Maeve, you know I didn't mean that," he shut his eyes hard, taking a breath. "Then what did you mean?" she challenged, now standing in front of him.