𝟎𝟐𝟏.

-chapter twenty one

-chapter twenty one

MAEVE LAID ON HER BED, gazing at the ceiling. A hole seemed to reside deep within her chest, unfilled and irreparable.

Her hands rested on her stomach, attempting to soothe the turmoil within. Closing her eyes seemed an impossible task.

Memories and the past clung to her, prompting her to question whether she deserved to live after the damning revelations. Her father had died for her, a man she didn't even remember.

Her mother had forcibly left, now living with her boyfriend. It all felt like a surreal dream, leaving Maeve uncertain of how to continue with life.

When Maeve calmed down and asked the chief about her mother expecting her to be near she was kilometers away now. The information left her feeling helpless and vulnerable.

A knock on the door snapped her out of her thoughts, and Mike entered with two cups. Taking a seat beside her, he wore a sad smile. "How are you feeling now?" he asked, offering her a cup.

"I don't really know," she replied, rubbing her forehead. Her bandaged hand served as a constant reminder of the revelation she had learned hours ago.

"It's going to take some time; you can rest now," Mike said gently, his eyes expressing concern. Maeve nodded, taking a sip of the coffee he handed her.

"Can I see Abby today?" she asked softly. Mike nodded. "Yeah, sure. She already misses you a lot." Maeve felt a warmth in her heart at the thought.

Sitting back against the bed headboard, she placed the cup on the nightstand and wrapped her arms around her knees. "You know, Mike, sometimes I feel like Abby is a part of me," she confessed, her face filled with love.

"She reminds me of myself, and I've made it my duty to take care of her until my last breath, even if that is soon," Maeve said, smiling sadly. Mike shook his head. "Don't say that. But I'm sure Abby loves you more than me," he teased, a dry chuckle leaving Maeve's lips.

"You can't compete with me, Mike Schmidt," she teased back, and he chuckled. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. I mean, I agree with Abby. Who wouldn't love you?" he casually confessed, catching Maeve off guard.

Fidgeting nervously, she let out a breath. "Are you saying that you love me? Who would've thought?" she joked.

Mike's eyes widened as he realized his unintended confession. "I...I didn't mean it that way I, of course, love you as my best friend," he said, attempting to clarify, but it only made matters worse.