𝟎𝟏𝟗.

-chapter nineteen

-chapter nineteen

"MAEVE, WE NEED TO TALK," Mike said quietly, looking at Maeve as she folded her arms and glanced at Margot unsure.

The woman nodded in reassurance as Maeve looked at Mike. "Okay," she said, taking a few steps towards the couch.

"I'll leave you both to talk," Dr. Margot said before attempting to exit the room and closing the door behind her.

Mike stood up in front of Maeve, his eyebrows furrowed, his eyes reflecting sadness as he took a deep breath. "Look, I don't know why you never told me anything about this, but what I do know is that you didn't trust me enough," he said as Maeve looked at the ground.

She shook her head slightly. "I trust you, Mike. It's just that I was scared," she confessed, taking a breath, her hands falling from being folded to fidget her nervousness out.

"Scared of what, Maeve? Scared of me?" He paused, shaking his head. "Come on, it isn't obvious how much I would do anything for you."

Maeve looked up at him, her face full of guilt and regret. "Mike, it isn't about that," she said as he inhaled. "Then what is it, Maeve? Tell me."

"I was scared you would leave me," she admitted, avoiding his eye gaze, and his face fell, as if her words shot a million pieces of glass in his direction. The words were too heavy on his heart.

He chewed on his inner cheek. "You...you seriously thought that?" he asked as she nodded slightly. "Did I ever make you feel that way?"

"No, Mike, you never did. It's just me. You were always there for me when I needed you. I'm the problem," she paused, taking a deep breath. "Maybe it was a mistake that I got attached to you. I'll only hurt you, Mike."

Mike scoffed lightly, his hand brushing his hair out of his face as he turned his head to the side. "No, Maeve, don't say it was a mistake."

"Then what is it, Mike?" She raised her hands up in defense. "I'm completely messed up here, trying to figure out how to recover and to know anything about the family I lost. I won't be able to provide you anything if I can't do it for myself," she said, her eyelids lingering with tears.

Mike turned back to meet her gaze, his eyes softened at her expression. He closed his eyes for a brief minute before speaking. "I never asked you for that, Maeve. I'm the one who should provide you what you need."

"Why do you care about me, Mike?" She asked as his heart sank, the frustration building inside him enough to burst out and confess everything, but he remained quiet.