𝟎𝟏𝟎.

-chapter ten

-chapter ten

A LOW GROAN ESCAPED MIKE'S MOUTH as he regained consciousness, Maeve sat on a chair perched beside his bed. Her eyes alert to the sound of his awakening.

"Careful, it's okay. You are okay now," she assured him, helping him sit up. He examined his body, now covered with bandages. "Where are we?" he questioned slowly.

"Police supply outpost. Thank God you're alright; you got me worried," Maeve replied. Her concern evident.

Mike looked down. "How did you get here?" he inquired, "Vanessa, she helped me," Maeve explained.

anxiety eating her out as Mike looked more tense than usual. "How did you know where I was?" Mike pressed and confusion furrowed Maeve's eyebrows.

"What are all these questions, Mike? Calm down, you are safe here," Maeve whispered, but Mike shook his head. "But Abby isn't."

Maeve's head perked up as her eyes widened. "Mike, what do you mean by that?"

"We need to save her, Maeve," he declared, passing a hand through his face, and Maeve exhaled. "What happened?"

Mike remained silent, the haunting dream replying in his mind, the lost family, the consequences of his actions always following him. And now, his little sister.

Maeve noticed tears forming in Mike's eyelids, her face grew soft as she frowned. This was beyond her emotions.

With all that Mike had been through, she finally understood his emotions, his bottling up, his actions. Mike wasn't just a sad man. He was far away from that.

Maeve felt sadness erupting through her, eating her away. Without a second thought, she wrapped her arms around him, surprising Mike. as his eyes now widened.

Hesitant at first, he eventually embraced the solace Maeve offered, letting the burden inside him vanish for a moment.

Maeve felt his hard breaths; she pulled him closer, rubbing his back softly, reassuring him that she was there. She understood him.

Mike lingered in her embrace for a few moments before breaking away, tiredness evident in his eyes. Maeve reached out, placing her hands on either side of his face, her touch comforting.

A throat cleared behind them, and Maeve pulled away slowly, mikes face flickered with anger and doubt as Vanessa stood before him.