𝟎𝟐𝟎.

-chapter twenty

-chapter twenty

THE FILE LANDED ON THE DESK, and Maeve gulped, glancing at Mike, who sat in front of her. She took a breath before reaching for the file laid before her.

The picture of her father enveloped her as she opened the file. The names and details were unrelated to the man that painted the picture smiling.

She looked up at the chief, who sat on the desk with both of his hands interlocked, sighing and shaking his head. "Your father, he didn't deserve what happened to him," he began quietly, guilt lingering in the air.

"I saw everything, but I was scared to speak because I knew that what happened to them would happen to me," he admitted, and Maeve's heart dropped as Mike furrowed his eyebrows. "Can you tell us what happened?"

The chief looked up at them before letting out a breath. "Maeve, your father was accused of pedophilia. But it was never true," he said as Maeve's eyes started to water.

"Back then, a rumor went around town that your father had assaulted a ten-year-old girl, and ever since the entire town was scared of him hurting their kids. They hated him, and they wanted him dead."

"Of course, your mother didn't believe that because she knew he was a good man. I knew it too. But it was too late; the rumors went around until that man heard of it," he said, the words too heavy on his chest as Maeve and Mike listened carefully, their faces filled with grief.

The chief took a deep breath, rubbing his forehead before continuing. "He decided to take the opportunity and kill two birds with one stone. He kidnapped his daughter and killed him because he knew no one would go looking for him."

"But what about his daughter? Didn't they think anything happened to her?" Mike asked curiously as the chief bit on his inner cheeks. "That's the problem; it was never reported that Maeve had disappeared, so everyone thought her mother ran away with her."

"Which apparently isn't true now, as she is sitting with us," he looked at Maeve as she swallowed, looking at the ground. The information was too much to handle, and the truth too heartbreaking.

Mike noticed her discomfort and placed a hand on her knees to provide her support. She looked up at the chief, her face holding no expression before she spoke.

"tell me what happened exactly."