𝟎𝟎𝟕.

-chapter seven

-chapter seven

THE OLD WOODEN DOOR creaked closed as Maeve let go of the handle, finally leaving Abby to her peaceful slumber.

A lot had changed since those simpler times when a bedtime story would do the trick, and sleep would whisk Abby away effortlessly.

Now, it took nearly forever to get her to sleep, as worrisome thoughts seemed to haunt the little girl. Maeve couldn't help but feel an ache deep within her chest.

Stepping down the dimly lit hallway of the house, Maeve noticed Mike sitting at the table, fidgeting nervously with a yellow phone in front of him.

"You haven't slept yet?" Her voice broke the silence as Mike snapped out of his trance, glancing up at her. "Oh,no. How can I sleep?"

Maeve took a seat at the table, letting out a heavy sigh. "We really need to figure something out about all this," she stated, her concern etched on her face as she watched Mike.

"I already did," he replied, getting Maeve's attention. Confusion danced in her eyes as she looked at him, "What?"

Mike sighed, placing his arms on the table. "Look, I, uh, I think it would be better if Abby stayed with Jan."

Maeve shook her head vigorously, her lips trembling. "No, Mike. This won't solve anything. You'll only make the situation worse."

"I know what's best, Maeve, please don't pressure me," he pleaded, avoiding eye contact.

Her heart sank, and an overwhelming sadness washed over Maeve. She never liked seeing Mike this way, but he had always been distant and  rarely showing any emotion other than disappointment.

Despite her countless attempts to lift his spirits, she had little success every time. And now, with the situation at hand, mending that gap between them seemed even more daunting.

Standing up, Maeve approached Mike, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder, prompting him to look into her eyes. "Mike, if you truly want to make the right choice, you should wait. Don't pressure yourself. I'll take care of Abby until we find a solution."

"No, Maeve, it's enough you're still here. I don't want any more confusion. I want to know the truth," he said with a heavy heart, his gaze dropping to the table.

He passed a hand through his face. "I just... I know this is the right choice, and you won't do anything to change my mind."

"No, Mike, you don't know anything," Frustrated, she removed her hand, sighed, and turned away.