𝟎𝟎𝟏.

-chapter one

-chapter one

MIKE PARKED HIS CAR IN THE EMPTY PARKING LOT, letting out a heavy sigh as he glanced at his little sister.

"I'll work, and you will sleep. Under no circumstances are you going to come out of my office," he paused, noticing his sister's fascination with the building. "Do you understand?"

She nodded slowly, clutching her teddy bear. "I understand," she replied, a smile brightening her face.

"This is not a vacation, okay? You're not here to have fun."

"Okay," she simply replied before getting out of the car, with Mike following closely behind.

The little girl began to run toward the building as Mike told her to slow down.

Once inside the abandoned building, with shattered glass and chairs and tables strewn in every direction, it was a somber reminder of what had occurred earlier.

"Whoa, what happened?" Abby asked, her eyes wide at the chaos created by some unknown visitors.

On the other hand, Mike adjusted his bag strap and extended his hand to Abby. "Give me your hand, and watch out."

They made their way to Mike's office, marked with a Security Only sign.

Monitors were scattered about, showing the entire building under construction by cameras. Abby took a seat in front of them.

Mike placed his bag on the floor, and Abby soon caught his attention. "Hey, Mike, there is someone standing in front of the camera."

Mike quickly approached the monitors, spotting a familiar figure with brunette hair knocking at the door.

A sigh of relief escaped his lips as he turned to Abby. "Don't worry, Abby, it's just Maeve." Her name brought a bright spark to Abby's eyes.

"She really came?" Abby beamed, her excitement evident, as Mike nodded faintly. He then turned toward the office door.

"I'll go get her. You better not leave this room, so you can see her," Mike warned his sister, and Abby nodded slowly.

Closing the door behind him, Mike retraced his steps to the front entrance, carefully avoiding the shattered glass on the floor. He spotted Maeve standing behind the door.

Maeve noticed Mike and smiled as he opened the door for her to enter. "Well, hello there," she greeted.

"Hey, I'm sorry again for making yo..."