𝟎𝟐𝟓.

-chapter twenty five

-chapter twenty five. Fallen star!

MAEVE RESTED AGAINST THE CAR SEAT, her face cloaked in regret and guilt as she gazed out the window. Her bags lay in the back seat, and Mike focused on the road ahead.

The echoes of the previous night lingered in their minds — painful tears, shared grief, and mending kisses that conveyed more than words ever could.

Everything built over the past months was on the verge of being discarded, destined to become a faded memory.

Mike swiftly parked the car in the airport lot, hastening to contain his emotions. Opening the back door, he retrieved Maeve's bags as she slipped from the passenger seat. Despite her attempt to help, he shook his head, escorting her inside the airport.

As they stood a few feet away from the security checkpoint, reality set in, and Maeve's heart raced. Mike looked down, taking a deep breath. "Have a... safe flight," his voice cracked, and Maeve gulped.

She hesitated before enveloping Mike in a tight hug, pulling him close, and he responded by wrapping his arms around her waist. Tears streamed down her face onto his shirt, capturing the sadness of their final embrace.

When she pulled away, she noticed the redness in Mike's eyes, deepening her self-loathing. The airport speakers signaled her flight.

without a word. As she reached for her bags to depart, Mike gently grasped her wrist. Holding her still.

From his pocket, he revealed a small envelope. "Open it when you get on the plane," he murmured, placing it on her palm and she nodded quietly and walked towards the security checkpoint, sparing no glance back.

Upon reaching the security officer, she realized she forgot something crucial. "Can you give me a moment?" she asked, the officer nodding. "Sure, but don't be late."

She maneuvered back through the crowd, searching for Mike upon her return. However, he was nowhere to be found, leaving her heart aching. The opportunity for that one last kiss slipped through her fingers.

Pushing through the crowd, Maeve reached the security checkpoint again, eager to board the plane and leave her past life behind.

As she settled into her seat, a growing unease enveloped her, questioning the righteousness of her actions.

Looking outside the plane window, she reached for the sealed envelope Mike handed her. Opening it, everything around her fell into silence.