𝟎𝟎𝟓.

-chapter five

-chapter five

"GOOD MORNING TO MY FAVORITE GIRL," Maeve beamed, entering the living room where Abby sat silently drawing on the table.

Abby turned around and smiled widely. "Good morning, Maeve."

"Did you sleep well?" Maeve asked, bending beside the girl to be at her level. Abby nodded, smiling.

"Good to know," Maeve said, giving Abby a soft kiss on her cheek. Abby chuckled before Maeve headed to the kitchen.

Mike stood there, looking outside the window, his eyebrows furrowed, hands gripping the counter.

The scene in front of Maeve made her frown, thinking he was still troubled by what happened yesterday.

Maeve noticed the boiling water behind him, about to burst, and quickly ran to close the gas stove, letting out a sigh of relief.

Mike turned around fast, rubbing his forehead. "I'm sorry, I zoned out," he said.

"I won't be there to save it from exploding next time. You need to stay alert," Maeve warned gently as he sigh.

"I know, I'm sorry, I... I don't know what happened," Mike admitted.

"You were thinking about last night. Don't worry, Mike, we will ask her about it. Just don't stress yourself too much," Maeve reassured him.

Mike opened a cabinet to get plates while Maeve looked around the kitchen.

"Want me to help you?" She offered.

Mike shook his head lightly. "I only need help dealing with Abby."

"I won't leave you until we know exactly what happened," Maeve said with a reassuring smile before heading out of the kitchen to play with Abby.

Mike watched them from afar. Abby seemed genuinely happy when she was with Maeve or with those animatronics yesterday.

At first, he didn't understand why Abby was so attached to Maeve or why their relationship was stronger than her bond with Max.

The difference was that Maeve cared about every detail, trying to make Abby feel like a normal girl. Mike realized he couldn't even pay attention to his little sister like Maeve did.

He sighed and brought the filled plates to the kitchen table, calling for Maeve and Abby to join him.

They raced to reach Mike, both with wide smiles as they took seats at the table.