𝟎𝟐𝟒.

-chapter twenty four

-chapter twenty four. Stargazing!

MAEVE STOOD BEFORE THE MIRROR, her black knee-length dress enhancing her figure as she examined her reflection.

Having just completed the decorating and baking, that utterly failed with Mike, she decided to change before the guests arrived.

In Mike's room, Maeve sought solace, attempting to smile at her reflection in the mirror. However, her face didn't reflect her internal turmoil. She felt different, entangled within her own emotions.

The memory of the last time she wore a dress eluded her, her perception of femininity and perfection now clouded by conflicting feelings.

A heavy sigh escaped her lips as she questioned if the dress was too much, too tight, or if it didn't look good. Her thoughts were interrupted when the door swung open.

Mike entered, his breath catching at the sight of her. "You... you're breathtaking," he whispered, and Maeve's head snapped in his direction, heat rushing to her cheeks. "You think so?" she asked hesitantly, and he raised his eyebrows.

Taking a few steps behind her, he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her back against his chest. Resting his chin on her head, he admired her up close. "What kind of question is that?"

Embarrassed, Maeve uttered, "I felt like it was too much," and Mike smiled at her. "No, you're just too beautiful," he confessed, pressing a soft kiss against her cheek.

Maeve's heart skipped a beat, warmth growing within her chest. His words buried her previous doubts.

"I'm such a lucky man," he whispered close to her ears before pulling away and heading towards his closet, leaving Maeve in a state of flustered delight.

Smiling to herself, newfound confidence radiating, she no longer felt uncomfortable. "I'll go help Abby while you get ready," Maeve said, heading towards the door, but Mike stopped her. "Wait," he said before getting close to her.

He placed both hands on the sides of her face, pulling her in for a soft kiss before stepping back. "Sorry, couldn't help it," he grinned, and Maeve shook her head, smiling, before exiting through the door, leaving him to change.

In Abby's room, Maeve helped the little girl into her colorful dress, did her hair, and attempted to apply lip balm.

A wide smile adorned Maeve's face as Abby smacked her lips together to apply it more, a chuckle escaping when Abby imitated her.