CHAPTER 53

The air outside was chilly and crisp, the sun high in the sky as a group of soldiers marched through the capital city. The wind blew strongly, causing the flaps of the wagon to flutter and sending a shiver down my spine, despite the thick wool covering me. As the wind carried the scent of freshly baked bread and a hint of iron, a sense of calm washed over me. It was a feeling I hadn't experienced since the months I spent on the battlefield.

The joyful shouts of the common people echoed through the town as the envoy made their way towards the palace. The voice that haunted my dreams and consumed my every waking thought was now just moments away. It was the only thing that kept me sane amidst the betrayals and chaos of the inner court. I held onto his memory to prevent my mind and heart from being consumed by bloodlust, for those who had betrayed me would pay dearly in blood. Inside the palace walls, we gathered just before the gates.

Empress Li Ling and I stood side by side, with the rest of the flower house concubines positioned behind us. A maid held the newly born crown prince in her arms, standing just behind the empress. The ministers lined up beside us, all of us eagerly awaiting the opening of the gates to announce the return of the ruler of the nation. Has it really been eight months? My time here has been far from pleasant, my emotions in constant turmoil. Did I truly accept this man? I couldn't lie to myself, perhaps I had hoped and anticipated his return. In these past few months, I've come to understand myself. I would rather live in satisfaction than live as a coward and die as one.

Once I came to view my life from this perspective, I accepted a certain truth about myself—I hate him. I hate him for how he changed my future with his actions. But I also missed him, missed the brush of his breath against my cheek, missed the warmth of his body against mine. I had to admit that, against all odds, I, Cai Lung, had fallen for the emperor. The gates opened, and everyone fell to their knees, bowing down and shouting,

"Long live the emperor! Long live the emperor!"

LI LING**

A teacup flew across the room, shattering upon impact, as a furious empress sat in her chair. Her maids knelt before her, begging her to calm her anger. "Why has he chosen to stay in that wretched garden when his heir and empress await him in the main palace?"

Earlier that day, the emperor had given the order that he would stay in the garden house to nurse his injuries. He had forbidden anyone from entering without his permission. The empress was not having it. The power she had managed to accumulate with the ministers would mean nothing if she couldn't maintain the emperor's favor. He hadn't died out there as they had planned, so she needed to gather more influence until the crown prince came of age and she could become his regent. Just as she finished that thought, someone shouted.

"The imperial edict has arrived!"

Moments later, the empress's wet nurse hurried inside. "What is all the commotion outside?" Empress Li Ling asked.

"An edict, Your Highness. Eunuch Sang just arrived with an imperial edict."

"The emperor's personal guards are out front with him." the wet nurse added.

"What do you think has happened, Your Highness?" the old woman asked, her nerves frayed. She had followed the empress from the northern country and had been at her side ever since she entered the harem. She would follow her anywhere. Wet Nurse Bao zhai had cared for the empress since her birth, now, with the emperor returning heavily injured, she thought everything would remain the same. She had carried out the deeds the empress had entrusted to her. But something was not right now.

The heavily injured emperor had issued an imperial edict. Fear gripped her heart for the girl she considered her own child. Li Ling nervously bit her nails, afraid that he had found out. It seemed impossible; they had covered their tracks. Emerging from her inner rooms, Empress Li Ling hid her expression behind her beauty.

"What is all this about?" she asked Eunuch Sang, who stood at the entrance of the foyer.

"Your Highness, please kneel and receive the imperial edict.

" Li Ling knelt down where she stood and stretched out her hand. Eunuch San stepped forward, carrying the golden open scroll.

"Empress Li Ling, receive the imperial edict." Eunuch Sang said, extending the scroll toward her.

Li Ling bit her lip as thoughts raced through her head. Was there something she had missed? That man was as cold as ice, and if he knew anything, her head would already be gone. With a trembling voice and a heart heavy with humility, Empress Li Ling reluctantly accepted the imperial edict. Eunuch Sang tasked with delivering the decree, continued his duty without hesitation.

"The esteemed First Daughter of the Li Kingdom, now the Empress of the Dragon Kingdom, has shown great respect and filial piety. She has given birth to the future ruler, the First Prince. In recognition of her virtues, she shall be bestowed with the title of Virtuous Empress and the sacred Dragon Hair Pin, a symbol passed down to the princesses and empresses of our realm. Henceforth, the Crown Prince shall reside in the tranquil garden pavilion, beside his emperor father, to alleviate the burdens that lie ahead for the Empress."

Li Ling found herself gasping for air, her hand frozen in mid-air, unable to grasp the imperial edict. Eunuch Sang frowned impatiently at her.

"Empress, receive the imperial edict." he urged, his duty demanding swift execution. Suppressing her inner bitterness and biting back her words, she forced the words to leave her lips.

"Empress Li Ling." Her voice faltered, as if the words were stuck, refusing to escape. "receives the imperial edict and expresses gratitude to His Majesty." She raised her trembling arms, her palms open, while Eunuch Sang carefully placed the scroll upon them.

"Summon the Crown Prince," Eunuch Sang commanded, his voice ringing out. A sudden thud echoed behind him, and as he turned, he discovered the Empress had fainted on the spot. "Panic-stricken voices filled the air, desperately calling out, "Your Highness!"