CHAPTER 10

As my eyelids slowly flutter open, a throbbing pain pulsates through my head, causing my vision to blur. With a groan, I instinctively reach for my aching temple, trying to piece together the events leading up to this moment. The last fragment of my memory reveals the image of the emperor drawing near, sending a shiver down my spine.

Gasping, I jolt upright in bed, a wave of dizziness washing over me from the sudden movement. The room is bathed in a dim, hazy light, forcing my eyes to struggle and adjust. As my vision gradually clears, I scan the surroundings, taking in every shadowy detail.

Suddenly, a deep voice resonates within the room, startling me. I turn my head towards the darkest corner, where a figure sits silently. There he is, the emperor, waiting in the shadows. My body tenses, frozen in place, as he leans forward, his face finally illuminated by a faint glow. His expressionless visage is captivating, radiating an unusual magnetism that I find both unsettling and undeniably handsome. Unable to maintain eye contact any longer, I avert my gaze, bowing my head respectfully. I refuse to risk further misfortune by disrespecting the emperor, burdened as I already am by the consequences of my own actions.

His voice cuts through the air with an icy command, demanding to know my name. "Z-zheng Cai Lung, your majesty," I stammer, my voice barely audible. There is no use concealing the truth any longer, for as I awoke, I discovered my tunic wide open, exposing my true identity as a man. Undoubtedly, he must have witnessed this and become aware of my secret.

"Zheng," he utters my name, his voice filled with a weighty silence. I dare not utter a word, apprehensive of what his next move might be. Instead, I remain still, awaiting his judgment.

"Why were you in the chamber of the royal concubine?" His voice pierces the quietude, his words laden with accusation.

As his question hangs in the air, my mind races, desperately searching for a response that would spare not only myself but also the honor of my family. I cannot admit to being deceived by En Lai, for it would create a scandal within the Dragon House. Nor can I confess to peering into the chamber, as it would bring shame upon my uncle's household. The reputation of the Zheng name is at stake, and this reckless act threatens to tarnish it irreparably. There is only one course of action remaining – to implore his majesty for forgiveness.

"P-please forgive me, Shang Shang," I stutter, my voice filled with remorse. "I was merely exploring, your majesty. I thought it would be an opportunity to appreciate the beauty of the Flower Blossom House. There was no ill intent, nor was I engaging in any form of spying," I plead, desperately hoping for his understanding.

His response was a simple "Oh," as he reclined in the chair, his face hidden from my view, causing a wave of unease to wash over me.

Tears welled up in my eyes, a mixture of frustration directed at En Lai and a deep sense of guilt that I too bore responsibility. My stubbornness had fueled this situation. I detested the palace, despised the capital, and longed to return to Fu Shang.

"Did you know," he uttered, the darkness masking his emotions, "that any man who lays eyes upon the naked bodies of my concubines, or dares to harm them in any way, shall be sentenced to death or forced into a life as a eunuch."

His words struck me like a lightning bolt, causing me to gasp in disbelief. The thought of facing death or the horrifying fate of becoming a eunuch sent a surge of fear coursing through my veins, leaving my body trembling and my palms slick with sweat.

The room fell into an eerie silence, his ultimatum hanging in the air like a heavy fog.

I was taken aback by the stunning sight before me; a captivating flower that turned out to be a boy. My eyes scanned his disheveled appearance, but what truly caught my attention was his flawlessly pale skin, akin to the purest milk. Gazing at him, my focus shifted to his lips, a striking shade of red reminiscent of a blooming rose. They seemed to yearn for my kisses, an irresistible invitation.

My anticipation grew, causing me to instinctively moisten my lips. I reached out, placing my hands on his waist, and to my astonishment, they fit perfectly. It was as if his body had been designed to be touched by me, and I found myself spellbound by his exquisite allure. His long, sweeping eyelashes graced his delicate cheekbones as he lay there, adding to his enchantment.

Involuntarily, my hands began to glide over his body, aching to explore every inch. With gentle strokes, my palms traced a path up his thighs, discreetly shifting his clothing aside. A sigh of pleasure escaped my lips upon encountering the velvety touch of his bare skin, radiating warmth and tenderness. It was as if I was caressing a delicate flower petal, so soft and inviting.

Captivated by his presence, my attention was drawn to his lustrous, midnight black hair, shimmering under the soft glow of the lamp. I carefully gathered the loose strands that adorned his surroundings, bringing them close to my nose, savoring the intoxicating scent that was uniquely his own.