CHAPTER 29

Upon seeing this, Luo Zheng qi felt a surge of courage and decided to continue. "What I'm trying to say is that someone like him cannot simply be another commoner or farmer in the villages. He must be of high birth. I think it's time he started talking and give us some answers, don't you all agree?"

Zhang Qi looked around and noticed everyone murmuring their agreement. He smiled to himself, knowing that if all went well, he would be able to bring the boy back to his commander, who was eager to have a taste of the boy in more ways than one. He could still obtain the information he needed, with the boy as a bonus. Luo Chang dong cleared his throat, causing the room to fall silent. This brought the attention back to him.

"What is it that you're suggesting, Zhang Qi?" Chang asked the question, wanting to see where this conversation was leading. He had a suspicion, but he wanted to test the waters. He had noticed the way the North Commander had looked at Bai on his wedding night, and he knew where the man's desires lay.

Chang dong also knew that Zhang and his commander must have some information on Bai, or else they wouldn't have sent their warrior away just for these talks. Luo Chang dong wanted to find out what they knew without causing any conflict. He would give the man enough room to hang himself with his own words.

Cai's POV :

Cai paced back and forth in his room, occasionally glancing into the darkness of the caves. There was a new guard now, someone he hadn't seen before. It was nighttime, and earlier he had asked if he could go out to watch the moonlight, but his request had been denied. This worried him, as it was something that was always granted to him. For the first time, he knew something was wrong. Earlier in the day, he had seen people arriving and heard whispers that put him on edge.

Mei Xiang had returned later in the afternoon with Lui Cai Long's dinner. There was a visible handprint on the side of her face, and her lip was swollen. Seeing this, Cai felt a pang in his chest and knew somehow it was his fault that the girl was being punished. He wanted to talk to her, but she wasn't alone. A new guard had escorted her to his room and stood outside, watching them intently. Cai knew that all the other guards had gone to a gathering with their commander to discuss some missing men. He felt that this was his chance, and if he didn't take this opportunity while everyone was occupied, he wouldn't get another one. Cai had taken a bite of the food and instantly vomited it back up.

He fell to the floor, holding his stomach, waiting for Mei Xiang to approach him with worry. And she did. "We don't have much time now, listen to me." Cai whispered, asking her quietly if she was allowed outside. Mei Xiang squeezed his arm, indicating yes. "Ask to go out later tonight, find any excuse. Just squeeze my arm if that is a yes." he told her, and she complied.

"A little before the cave's opening, you will see some grass growing just above shoulder length to your right. They should look green at the bottom and red at the tip. Do you think you could pick a couple without getting caught?" he asked.

Mei Xiang hesitated for a moment but squeezed his hand again. Just as they finished speaking, the guard decided to check on them. He approached them, and Mei Xiang let go of Cai's arm. "I just need some water and rest," Cai said quietly for the guard's ears. The guard looked at them curiously, and Cai's heart raced, fearing that the man had heard their conversation. Thankfully, the guard stepped aside and allowed Mei Xiang to bring him some water. When the guard saw that Cai wasn't eating any more of the food, he led Mei Xiang away with the tray. It was now nighttime, and Cai worriedly paced, wondering if Mei Xiang had been caught. He didn't think these people knew what those grasses were.

They were called banshee and were highly poisonous when mixed with a certain wine. If they knew what they were, he doubted they would have them growing so close to their entrance. Cai tried to push away these unpleasant thoughts and decided to sit down, hoping he wouldn't draw attention to himself. Just then, he saw a light coming down the narrow path. A guard held a torch, and Mei Xiang held a tray of soup. She placed the tray down on his makeshift table, and he watched her closely, hoping to see if she had obtained what he wanted. She slipped a white cloth under the tray as she placed it down.

As Cai observed Mei Xiang diverting the guard's attention, he discreetly advanced towards the tray, casting occasional glances over his shoulder. Spotting the perfect moment, he swiftly seized the cloth and cunningly concealed it beneath his pillow.

SPY'S:

In the depths of darkness, he surveyed his surroundings. After a long day's journey inside a carriage, he had paid a humble farmer to transport him to Qin Shi Huangdi. From there, his path led to the secluded Ling Ting village, where he awaited the imminent raid. His heart clung to the hope that the information he possessed was accurate. This was their sole opportunity to infiltrate without arousing suspicion or encountering unforeseen complications. Armed with all the necessary tools, he simply had to bide his time until the raid commenced.

Approaching the residence of the village chief, he knew that assuming the role of the chief's son would grant him passage among the Mongols, who prized individuals of worth and influence. Disguised as a captured slave, he would secure his position by presenting himself as the offspring of the esteemed chieftain.

Under the cloak of night, he stealthily made his way to the sturdily built house at the village's outskirts. A black mask concealed his features as he melded with the encompassing

shadows, rendering him nearly invisible to any passerby.