CHAPTER 41

"Very well," the man said, his thoughts on the war conflicting with his need to be present at the table to voice them. Reluctantly, he agreed. Chang dong sensed that this offer would provide him with the necessary leverage, a small smirk appearing on his lips.

"I do have connections within the emperor's court, although it seems that they will soon be exposed." The man pondered, rubbing his beard.

"That's alright." Chang dong replied. "I only require a bit of information, I tracked some escaped prisoners to the capital, and they made their way to the palace. However, I have no informants inside, so my trail went cold from there." Chang dong observed as a smile slowly spread across the man's face, confirming his suspicions that the south and north knew something crucial.

"Fortunately for you." the northern leader stated. "there has been talk of a boy who recently appeared in the palace. He was brought in by his father, who happens to be the emperor's right-hand general."

"No, I don't have any information on that." Chang dong responded, intrigued. "But why is this boy so significant?"

"The boy was seen entering the main palace, and rumor has it that the emperor took a liking to him. He is said to be the most beautiful young man they have ever laid eyes on." the northern leader explained, a knowing smile on his face. "Does that ring a bell, Chang dong?"

Chang dong took a moment to compose himself before stuttering, "Y-Yes, it does." The southern leader continued, relishing in the sight of Chang dong's shock and disbelief.

"My spies have reported that the emperor constantly accompanies this boy, even to the mountain pass where the battle took place, where you." The south leader pointed accusingly at Chang dong. "brought him back home and his name is not Bai, but Liu Cai Lung of the Dragon Palace."

Chang dong couldn't breathe, couldn't find the words to speak. Someone of such immense importance was within his grasp, someone who could potentially turn the tide of the war in their favor. His grip on the chair's armrest tightened, veins bulging on his forehead. The southern leader reveled in the sight of the great Liu Chang dong brought low with shame.

MU YANG POV

"Silence!" I commanded, my voice echoing through the grand hall. I descended from my throne and positioned myself in the center of the room, removing the heavy crown that obstructed my vision. I surveyed the council members, each one representing the old ways of thinking that I was determined to overturn. Today, I would make my intentions clear and assert my authority as the true ruler of this empire.

"I have listened to your counsel since the day I ascended the throne." I declared, gesturing towards the seat of power. "I have waged wars, governed with wisdom, and surpassed the achievements of my predecessors. "I chose a princess as my Empress, ensuring the future of our nation." I continued, my gaze sweeping across the room, commanding attention. "Now, bring forth my mother!" The council members were taken aback by my audacity to confront her in this public forum. But I needed her presence to execute my plans. As the guards escorted her into the room, accompanied by the loyal eunuch Xuian, I could sense their fear and confusion.

I had always been one step ahead of them, but they failed to learn from their past mistakes. Smirking inwardly, I maintained my piercing gaze on eunuch Xuian, who trembled under my watchful eye. There was no escape for him; he knew it all too well.

"Kneel." I commanded my mother, disregarding her attempts to stand defiantly. Reluctantly, she dropped to her knees, though her head remained held high, as if she still held some power over me. "Do you understand the crimes you are charged with?" I asked her, devoid of any emotion towards the woman who had given birth to me.

"I am well aware of the crimes you have accused me of," she retorted, her voice dripping with disdain. "But my only crime was giving birth to you, the legitimate child of your father."

"Oh, how I know you despised my father for taking you from the north and forcing you into the role of Empress against your will." I responded, meeting her cold gaze head-on. The vivid red of her painted lips reminded me of the color of blood.

"You see, Mother, what you failed to comprehend was that from a young age, my father warned me never to trust you." Her shocked expression only fueled my satisfaction. "He knew about your lover, imperial mother, and your treacherous plots." I revealed. Her gasp of disbelief fueled my delight as I continued, relishing the horror etched across her face.

"Why is your face ashen, Mother? Your scheming to hand the throne over to your new spawn and the disgraced Left Minister did not go as planned, did it?"

"I am the Empress Dowager. you vile creature!" she screamed at me, but I merely chuckled and circled around her, observing her frail frame.

"These years have not been kind to you, Mother. You appear even more feeble now."

"I should have dealt with you the same way I dealt with your father." she admitted.

"But you needed me, didn't you? Without me, you had no power, and I knew everything." I murmured, lowering my voice as I leaned in close to her ear.

"I am aware of the bastard you carry within your womb, imperial mother, so i would tread carefully if I were you. Women of your age often suffer from miscarriages. we wouldn't want to lose the precious spawn of your lover, now would we? Ensure you have a healthy pregnancy imperial mother lock away from eyes of the world."

Straightening myself, I turned my back to her and addressed the council once more.

"This woman conspired with the previous Left Minister to seize the throne, but their plan required my demise. With the assistance of my trusted advisor, eunuch Xuian, they plotted against their Emperor, betraying their sworn loyalty." I glanced at eunuch Xuian, his fate evident in the intensity of my gaze.