CHAPTER 36

As the sun began to set, we finally arrived at the capital pass. It felt like a nostalgic return, as if I had been away for years instead of just one winter. The chaos of people trying to gain access to the capital and the long line of farmers and merchants selling their goods along the way remained unchanged. As we approached the gate, I felt a sense of peace wash over me, like the gentle evening breeze on a summer's night.

However, Meixiang, who was behind me, seemed uneasy and trembling. We patiently waited in line like everyone else, until finally, an hour later, we stood in front of the guards who collected our papers.

"It says two people here, and I see three." the guard pointed at Meixiang.

"It doesn't matter, she can also travel on the documents in your hands." Dark replied.

"I'll have to get confirmation on the other side before she can pass."

"Well, hurry up." Dark pointed at me. "He, is not here, do you understand?" The guard nodded.

"You know what kind of papers are in your hands, so I suggest there are no delays. I need to be there by nightfall, so make it snappy." Dark said, his voice carrying an underlying threat. I could sense the tension in his voice. The guard returned shortly after, and we dismounted our horses. We were led to a smaller door at the side of the gate, which would take us into the prefecture.

Once we crossed over, our papers were handed back to us. We rode through the surrounding villages before finally reaching the capital itself. It was already nightfall when I caught sight of the palace gates. My heart started racing as we approached, and I felt a sudden urge to release the meal I had eaten just an hour ago. The closer we got to the palace, the more anxious I became.

"We're at the palace." Meixiang gasped, gripping my sides.

"Are you just realizing that now, after the entire journey?" I snapped at her, annoyed by my own anxiety and taking it out on her.

"Sorry, I just never knew you came from here."

"Well, I'm not from here." I mumbled.

"What's the hold up? We should enter the palace soon. It's still not safe out here for you." Dark called back.

"I want to go to my family's residence." I replied to him. I wasn't ready to face His Highness yet, all the thoughts I had about him throughout the past year, the desire to see his face and figure things out, were weighing heavily on me. I could still see the remnants of wedding decorations scattered around as we passed stall after stall. Perhaps the Emperor's fascination with me had died down, and I could live some semblance of a normal life here. It would be amusing to see a man joining the imperial harem, though I had no intentions of joining myself.

"I think it's better if I return to Dragon Palace to greet my lord father." I told Dark, turning my horse towards the west entrance. Suddenly, his horse raced in front of us, startling the horse I was on, causing it to rear up on its hind legs. If I hadn't tightly held onto the reins, we would have fallen off.

"Shit, Dark! Are you trying to kill us?!" I shouted.

"Who goes there?" Lanterns appeared with the gatekeeper and two guards behind him. Great, now we've alerted the main palace of our arrival. There's no way to avoid going in there now. Dark got off his horse and walked up to them, taking something out from his breast and passing it to them. I hopped off the horse, berating Dark for what was about to happen.

"Welcome back to the palace, Cai." I muttered to myself.

Mu Yang's POV:

It was the third and final night in the queen consort's quarters. The ministers and eunuchs who had stayed outside for three days as witnesses to the wedding rituals had left an hour ago. I was getting dressed when Li Ling wrapped her arms around my waist. I slipped out of her embrace to face her.

"Why are you leaving, Your Majesty? We're finally alone." she asked me. These consorts, if I could evict them from the palace, I would. They were nothing but a headache every day. But I liked Li Ling. She was one of my favorite consorts out of them all, before I would spend my nights with her, and she wouldn't pester me as much as the others, with their fake affections. She showed me both her good and bad sides, and I appreciated her for that.

However, ever since she gained the title of empress and became pregnant with the heir to the throne, she had become bolder.

"I won't be visiting you from here on out I revealed the truth to her as I slipped my foot into my shoes. Her eyes widened and her face flushed crimson.

"What do you mean, Your Highness?" she asked, her voice desperate. I was about to inform her that she would only see me on occasion from now on, but our conversation was interrupted by a disturbance from outside.

"Apologies for the interruption, Your Highness," Eunuch Zen Chi said to me. "Your Highness," he greeted Li Ling, however she ignored him, clearly upset about the intrusion.

"Speak," I instructed him, disregarding Li Ling's frowns.

"Something of utmost importance has arisen that requires your immediate attention, Your Highness," he continued.

"It's fine, I was nearly finished here anyway," I replied. "What is it that demands my attention at this hour?" I asked the eunuch, rising to my feet. I noticed how he glanced at Li Ling with fear in his eyes before nervously looking at me.

"Well, spit it out. I don't have all night, Eunuch."

"Guests have arrived for you, my Lord," he mumbled. Guests? What could be happening in the middle of the night that warrants my urgent attention?

"Who is it?" I inquired.

"It's, uh... it's..." He glanced at the Empress again before continuing. "It's the missing Young Master Liu." he finally said. As soon as his words left his lips, I dashed out of the room, with the eunuch following closely behind.

"Where is he?" I asked, not slowing my pace.

" But there's a problem, Your Highness." He called after me. "What might this problem be?" I questioned as we made our way to the palace entrance. As soon as I stepped through the doors, I descended the long flights of steps, wondering why there were so many steps.