CHAPTER 3

"Stay with me and hold on tight," he whispered urgently. I nodded, gripping him tightly around the waist.

The figure ahead seemed to sense Zing Ah's plan, as he swiftly lunged toward us with his sword at the ready.

"Hya!" Zing Ah skillfully parried the attacks, blocking the man's every strike. With a swift smack on the horse's backside, he urged it forward.

"Don't let them escape!" the leader bellowed, mounting the abandoned horse and giving chase, sword held high.

"Capture them and bring me the woman!" he roared, his voice echoing through the air. "I am not a girl!" I shouted back at him, my eyes filled with defiance.

"He's gaining on us, Zing Ah! We need to go faster!"

"Hya...! Hya...!"

I am pushing the horse to its limits, young master. We're already at full speed," he replied, determination in his voice. I turned my head, glancing back to see the pursuers closing in. A shadow emerged from the trees, swiftly approaching us.

"To the left, Zing Ah!" I yelled, desperation creeping into my voice.

"~~Clang~~"

Zing Ah deflected the attacker's strike, but it threw us off balance. Fear surged through me, but I knew I had to contribute. With a quick maneuver, I turned the horse so that my back was pressed against Zing Ah's. I retrieved the bow that my mother had slipped into the bag earlier, steadying my breath and attempting to calm my trembling hands. I waited for the perfect angle, whispering to myself,

"Just a little bit more, a little bit more."

"~~Thump~~" The arrow hit its mark, just as my father had taught me day after day. I knew I hadn't taken his life, but I had certainly slowed him down. Turning back around, I clung to Zing Ah for dear life, my heart pounding in my chest. I couldn't believe what I had just done; I thought I was going to die.

"Lu Tian!" we heard a voice shout from behind us. It seemed that the bandits had halted their pursuit to tend to their injured leader, struck by my arrow.

"Are you alright, young master...?" Zing Ah asked, concern etched on his face.

"I'm fine," I replied, finally catching my breath. "I don't think we should stop for the night," I continued, determination in my voice. The horse continued to gallop at full speed. We needed to put as much distance between us and them as possible, in case they decided to resume their chase. And so, we rode through the night, pushing ourselves and the horse to the limits. AS we arrived at the border to cross into Ganzhou Shang province, we were met with a long line of people attempting to enter the city. Guards were stationed all around the imposing gated entrance, diligently checking each person's passes.

"You there!"

a guard bellowed at a weary farmer pushing a cart towards the entrance. "Show me your pass or pay the passage fee." The farmer presented his pass, and the guard glanced at it briefly before tossing it back to the farmer. "Not valid," he declared, shaking his head. My heart went out to the rejected farmer as we slowly rode by.

Zing Ah sighed, his expression conflicted. "Young master, it is not within my authority to allow someone to pass without proper documentation. The guards are strict, and I could jeopardize our own safety by going against their rules."

I bit my lip, feeling frustrated by the limitations of our situation. The farmer looked hopeless, and I couldn't bear to leave him behind. "But Zing Ah, we have the means to help him. We can provide him with a temporary pass, just until he reaches the other side. It's a small act of kindness that could make a world of difference for him."

Zing Ah hesitated, his eyes scanning the surroundings to ensure no one was eavesdropping. "Young master, if we get caught, the consequences could be severe. Our identities are already compromised, and any further attention could lead to our capture."

I took a deep breath, my determination unwavering. "Zing Ah, I understand the risks, but this is an opportunity for us to do something good amidst all the chaos. We cannot turn a blind eye to those in need."

"Master Cai Lung." I countered. "This surveillance is intended to track the comings and goings of individuals in the city. Given the multitude of assassins attempting to infiltrate the imperial palace with intentions to harm the emperor, it becomes a necessary precaution.

"But how could a humble farmer pose any threat? All he desires is to sell his bountiful harvest." I murmured contemplatively.

"Permission to pass." the guard uttered as we neared the entrance.

Zing Ah presented the familiar medallion, eliciting a visible recognition from the guard.

"Sir."

the guard acknowledged, bowing solemnly. His gaze then shifted towards me, prompting him to inquire, "May I inquire about your companion, sir?"

"This is the young master of the general's fu."

Zing Ah's statement hit me like a tidal wave, and my heart sank into the depths of despair. In the midst of all the recent chaos and turmoil, I had managed to momentarily forget my true identity as the general's illegitimate son. But now, on the precipice of our destination, the weight of my tragic circumstances came crashing back upon me, engulfing me in a sea of sadness.

As the guard opened the gate, granting us passage, Zing Ah's suggestion of stopping for a meal pulled me out of the depths of my despair. The prospect of delaying my arrival at the imperial palace, where I would have to embrace my new identity as Zhong Cai Lung, the general's son, was a welcome respite

With a nod, I expressed my agreement. I wasn't ready to let go of my old life just yet. I longed to hold on to the name Lui Cai Lung for as long as I possibly could.