CHAPTER 42

"I typically reserve death as the punishment for treason." I declared, my gaze fixed on the two individuals kneeling before me. "However, due to my mother's fragile condition, I will show her mercy and spare her life."

Silence engulfed the room, leaving the ministers and generals speechless with astonishment. "She will be stripped of her title as Empress Dowager, her name shall be erased from the annals of history. Let it be known that the late Emperor's wife met her demise following her husband's passing." She will be exiled and return to the remote corner of our kingdom, where she shall live out the remainder of her days in solitude." Any objections?" I inquired of my Council.

None dared to voice their disapproval, paralyzed by fear. With resentment burning in my eyes, I turned my attention to my mother. "She shall not be permitted any possessions." I commanded the guards who seized her arms.

"You are an unworthy Emperor! You lack the ability to rule!" she screamed as they dragged her out of the court. "I know of your intentions to bring that boy into the harem, a disgrace! I should have rid myself of you when you were born!"

I locked eyes with her as she was forcefully taken away. I was far from finished with her. By the time I was done, she would beg for her own demise. Disgust filled me as I regarded my advisor, who had been by my side since birth. "Will you provide me with the names of those who aided her, in exchange for your life?" I inquired, his head still bowed.

Eunuch Xuian lowered his head, he had no choice but to divulge the names if he wished to survive. bowing until his forehead touched the cold floor. "Yes, Your Majesty. I shall provide you with the names you seek." A smirk crept across my face, knowing I had obtained what I desired. "Right Minister Li Bai Qui Yen." I pointed at him, causing him to rise while averting his gaze. He had been leading the resistance against my wishes. If I dealt with him first, the rest would fall in line.

"You hold the most concerns regarding Cai; a man becoming my Royal Concubine, correct?"

"Yes, Your Majesty. We..." he trailed off, unsure of how to answer.

Clearly, the public display of my mother's punishment had successfully instilled fear in those who dared to oppose me. Right Minister Li Bai glanced at the other Council members for support, noticing some nodding in agreement while others avoided his gaze. "We..." Li Bai continued, share concerns, Your Majesty. If you choose to take a man into your chambers, your highness, we will turn a blind eye, but to bestow upon him such a title is rather unorthodox, Your Majesty."

"And what of you, General Lui? He is your son, after all." I turned to my general. "Do you not wish to have a say in this matter concerning him?"

"Your Majesty's desires are my command." the general responded. "If my son brings you pleasure, my lord, then he is yours."

"I see." I replied. I fell silent for a moment, causing anxiety to fill the room as everyone awaited my next move.

"Very well, Right Minister Bai. I have taken your concerns into consideration. So, you wish for me to adhere to the laws of the Old?"

They all nodded, exchanging glances.

"Alright then, tell me, what should I do with your daughter and son-in-law?" I questioned the cunning man. I knew he wanted me to take his niece. That was why he opposed Cai. If I had simply desired him as a regular concubine, there would have been no issue. He must have promised the other Ministers who stood with him something in return, once she gained my favor. However, I had anticipated his moves.

"I fail to understand, Your Majesty..." he stammered, sounding perplexed. I smirked, observing his faltering demeanor. Not so bold now, was he?

"I am asking what should be done with your daughter and son-in-law, since your son-in-law's father was Left Minister Su Dai Chen, who not only conspired with the Empress Dowager to have his Emperor killed, but also engaged in an illicit affair with a member of the royal family." I declared.

"According to ancient laws, the entire traitor's family should face death. That includes your daughter and her children." I scrutinized the man, whose face drained of color as the gravity of the situation dawned upon him.

"Now, let me pose the question again, Right Minister, should I adhere to the laws of the Old?" He hesitated before answering, wiping sweat from his brow. When he finally spoke, his voice trembled.

"No, Your Majesty." He whispered.

"I'm sorry, Minister Bai, but I can't make out your words," I remarked with a hint of amusement. The Minister's response was resolute and unwavering. In that moment, I decided to address the entire Council, ensuring my words reached each and every one of them.

"Let me ask you all this, Is there any objection to my Royal Concubine?" My voice echoed through the room, filled with authority and a chilling coolness that pierced through their souls.

Without hesitation, the Council members responded in perfect harmony.

"None, Your Majesty!"

Their unified voices resonated, bringing a smile to my face as I gracefully returned to my throne. As I settled back into my seat, my gaze shifted to the closed doors where he patiently awaited.

"Summon him. Let the Coronation commence."