CHAPTER 7

Sue Lin led me to the room she had prepared after my soothing bath. As the door swung open, I stood in awe of its vastness. The room boasted an enormous bed adorned with cascading silk covers that draped elegantly from the top, enveloping all four sides and gracefully touching the floor. The floor itself was blanketed in plush white fur, adding a touch of luxury to the space. Positioned in each corner opposite the entrance were two inviting sitting chairs, while a table and chair stood proudly in the center.

Taking a seat in one of the chairs, I patiently observed Sue Lin as she meticulously prepared the bed. With delicate movements, she pulled back the covers and skillfully tied one end of the ethereal silk curtain that encircled the bed. Stepping back, she gestured for me to lie down, her kind eyes brimming with warmth.

Grateful that this wasn't another arduous process, I sank into the chair, feeling the fatigue of my long journey creeping up on me.

I approached the bed and settled myself, carefully undoing the braid that held my hair. Once my locks were free, I surrendered myself to the embrace of the most luxuriously soft bed I had ever encountered. As I nestled my head against the plush headrest, a wave of drowsiness swept over me, gradually eclipsing my senses.

Sue Lin tenderly draped the covers over my weary body, ensuring my comfort. With a gentle touch, she released the knot in the surrounding silk curtain. The sound of her movements echoed faintly in the room as she went about extinguishing each source of light.

"Goodnight, young master," her voice reached me from a distance, carrying a soothing tone that further lulled me into the realm of dreams.

As my eyes struggled to adjust to the darkness, the faint sound of giggling reached my ears, interrupting my groggy state. Confusion and a tinge of unease crept over me. Who was in the room with me? And why were they laughing?

A voice spoke again, urging someone to wake me up. Panic began to simmer within me as my eyes gradually focused on the dimly lit surroundings. I rubbed my eyes, trying to clear away the remnants of sleep, desperately attempting to make sense of the situation.

"Look, he's waking up. Happy now?" The voice taunted, sending a chill down my spine. Something was definitely amiss, and I couldn't shake off the feeling of being watched. A surge of adrenaline coursed through me, replacing the remnants of drowsiness.

With a sudden jolt, I sat up in bed, my mind racing to piece together the fragments of reality. The realization hit me like a thunderbolt. I was in Dragon House, the grand palace where my uncle resided. Relief washed over me momentarily as I remembered my location, but the darkness and the presence of unknown individuals still weighed heavily on my mind.

Straining my eyes, I scanned the room, hoping to catch a glimpse of the figures responsible for the eerie atmosphere. However, my gaze met only darkness, leaving me with more questions than answers. "Are you awake, Ge?" echoed a familiar voice, stirring me from my slumber.

"What do you want, En Lai?" I retorted, my displeasure evident in my tone.

"I've come to give you the tour, as Father requested. Second brother and I are here to accompany you. So, get up and let's go," he said, his presence irking me.

I couldn't help but think, is he out of his mind? "It's the middle of the night," I muttered, still groggy from sleep. I had endured enough of his games for one evening.

"So what?" he scoffed. "It's the perfect time to explore, or is the timid countryside fool too afraid of a little nocturnal adventure? Come on, Jun, I knew he'd be boring. Let's go," he said, addressing the silent figure who had been present but hadn't uttered a word.