CHAPTER 19

Sitting here, my eyes fixated on the entrance of the tent, I dare not look away even for a second. I wonder when he will return; it has been hours since he left and there's no sign of his arrival. Restlessness consumes me as I sit here, worrying for no reason. But I cannot afford to let my guard down. Sticky and tired from our travels and a day of riding, I desperately crave a bath. However, the fear of him walking in on me naked holds me back. Feeling dirty and frustrated, I decide to take a risk. I rise from the table and make my way to the tent entrance, only to be confronted by a guard as I part the folds.

"Master Cai Lung, you are not allowed to leave the tent, orders of the emperor." he sternly informs me.

Figures, I think to myself. "I just wanted to clean myself up. I need warm water and a tub," I explain, hoping to reason with him.

"If I don't leave, how am I supposed to get it?" I ask the guard. He frowns, seemingly torn by an internal struggle.

"But..." he trails off.

At that moment, I catch sight of Zing Ah entering a nearby tent. Before disappearing inside, his gaze meets mine, and we engage in a brief staring contest. Then, he vanishes into the tent. I sigh and redirect my attention to the guard in front of me, preparing to argue my case. However, to my surprise, Zing Ah emerges from the tent and jogs over to me.

"Are you okay?" he asks, stopping just a step away from me. The guard bows his head, addressing Zing Ah.

"Captain Zing," he says with respect. "Young Master Cai here wanted to leave the tent, but I am under orders from the emperor to confine him inside."

Zing Ah looks at me, a hint of confusion in his eyes. That man would never allow me to leave; there is no way, I think to myself. Someone is constantly watching my every move. This doesn't sound like him at all. What is Zing Ah up to? The guard appears hesitant, unsure whether to refuse or comply with the order coming from a high-ranked officer. The other guard, who had been standing silently, steps forward.

"Let the captain take him, Lee. The emperor won't return for now anyway. As long as Young Master Cai is back within the hour, there won't be any need for a commotion." The other guard suggests, looking intently at Zing Ah.

There is a clear bond of friendship in his eyes towards Zing Ah. "Right, brother Zing?" he asks.

Zing Ah responds with a sheepish smile.

"Right."

Lee, the guard, nods his head, allowing me to pass towards Zing Ah. He takes my hand and leads me past several tents until we reach the furthest one at the back, near the woods. Inside the smaller tent, not as lavishly decorated as the king's, but cozy for a tent, Zing Ah sets about arranging furs on the ground. "Have a seat," he says once he finishes.

"I'll fetch warm water for you."

Zing Ah exits the tent and returns shortly with a wooden tub, carefully carrying boiling water from the fire outside to fill it. When he finishes, he sits beside me. I give him a shy smile, and as we wait for the bath to cool, I can see the curiosity in his eyes, wanting to know how I ended up in the emperor's company.

"So..." he begins, breaking the silence between us.

"Should I start asking, or will you tell me what's going on? We have a little bit of time before the bath cools down. So, what happened, Cai Lung? five days ago, you were at the general's home, and now, I just don't get it. Make me understand, please."

Zing Ah's face is filled with worry and affection, and I am grateful that he cares so deeply for me.

Zing Ah's point of view:

"Cai?"

I say, concerned for the boy who seems lost in his thoughts. I want to help him, to be there for him in any way I can.

"Your uncle tried talking to the emperor, but he hasn't even received a glance from the man. So, tell me, how did all of this happen?" I try to make Cai feel comfortable so he can open up to me. He needs someone by his side; this situation must be incredibly stressful for him.

"It's all En Lai's fault," he whispers, holding his head down. I just want to hold him in my arms and assure him that everything will be alright.

Cai's point of view:

With a heavy heart, I lowered my head in shame, fully aware that once I revealed how everything transpired, he would deem my reasons for following Enlai as foolish.

"Young Master Cai, what do you mean?" he questioned, his eyes fixed on me with intensity. Time became my ally as I desperately tried to buy myself some moments.

"I believe the bath has cooled," I replied, attempting to stall, causing him to divert his gaze towards the cooling water. Sighing, he rose to test the temperature.

"I'll step outside while you undress." he informed me.

Perplexed, I couldn't understand why he felt the need to leave for me to disrobe. After all, I wasn't shy, for I was just a man like him. Baba and I used to frequent public baths together, although he never approved of me changing in front of other men. I simply dismissed his overbearing nature. As soon as Zing Ah exited the tent, I stood up and shed the fur coat from my slender frame. With gentle movements, I slipped out of my hanfu until I stood there completely naked.

Sliding my hands into the water, I gauged its warmth. "Are you inside yet?" Zing Ah's voice startled me from the entrance. He had turned his back towards me. I spun around and stepped into the tub, feeling the warmth envelop my body. As the stress of the past two days began to dissipate, I savored the relief washing over me.

"I am in now."

I called out to Zing Ah, who still lingered outside the tent. A shiver ran down my spine when I felt cold fingers brush against my bare shoulder, freeing my wet hair that clung there.

"So beautiful," Zing Ah whispered just above me, causing my breath to hitch. Suddenly, self-consciousness washed over me in his presence.

I opened my mouth to question his actions, but when I turned my head, he had vanished. Left alone with my thoughts and the lingering sensation of his touch on my skin, I couldn't help but whisper to myself. "What was that?"