CHAPTER 24

"It has been a fortnight since your arrival, and yet I have received no news of any missing soldier from the imperial army. This leads me to believe that either you have deceived me about your identity or you are simply insignificant. However, I am inclined to believe the latter, so let us start anew. What is your name, your social standing, and your family background?"

Seated across from me, the leader of the gang awaited my response, hoping for answers I could not provide. I had hoped that after two weeks of relentless questioning, he would give up and release me. Unfortunately, luck was not on my side.

He had been repeating the same inquiries over and over again, unaware of my affiliation with the Liu family. I refused to be held captive for ransom, bringing shame upon the household my mother cherished.

"I have already told you my name is Bai. I was merely in the vicinity gathering herbs for my mother when your army attacked me. I had no knowledge of the capital being at war. I have lived in Fu Shang all my life," I pleaded with him.

"My mother and I are herbalists, which is why I was in such close proximity to the capital."

"How many times must I repeat myself?" I asked, my voice filled with desperation. "I am of no value to you. Please, release me. My mother must be worried sick."

I looked into his eyes, attempting to convey innocence and hope. My father had always said that my innocent gaze was hard to resist, but I wondered if those were merely the words of a doting parent. Regardless, I hoped that luck would be on my side once again.

Leaving one prison for another was a cruel twist of fate. Strangely enough, I found myself missing him. He had treated me poorly, never showing any warmth or kindness. And yet, I couldn't help but feel a pang in my chest whenever I recalled his touch. When we were in each other's presence, I detested every moment. So why, after two weeks, did I miss the scent of his skin and the way he looked at me when he thought I was asleep? He would caress my skin with tender care, only to pull away as if burned by fire. I always pretended to be asleep, but in his absence, I would lie awake, wondering what those gentle caresses meant.

I didn't want to entertain the thought that I could be attracted to a man, especially the king. I had been sent to learn how to act like a nobleman and marry a suitable woman to bear my children. The king was disrupting all of that. I couldn't let my mother down, so I held back any affection I may have felt.

Was something wrong with me? Was I losing my mind in this cave surrounded by these brutes? Or was it possible that I truly missed him? I couldn't allow myself to dwell on these feelings. What I needed was to assess my situation with the gang leader. It was clear he had no intention of setting me free, nor did he seem concerned about my lies. He was after something, and I needed to figure out what that was.

Glancing back at the mongrel leader, I noticed he was lost in thought. I wondered what his next move would be, considering my answers remained the same.

"Have it your way, Bai," he said sarcastically after a few minutes. "But I will tell you this, I know you're lying to me."

"How do you know that?" I asked, frustration seeping into my voice. "I wasn't aware that your kind could read minds."

He was getting on my nerves now. I knew I should humble myself, considering I was at their mercy, but cooperating or not wouldn't make a difference if he intended to harm me. "Because," he began, "the way you were dressed. No herbalist could afford the clothes you had on you. When you arrived here, your attire did not match that of a commoner, despite your insistence. Your skin is pure and fair, as if bathed in milk." He stood in front of me, running his fingers through strands of my hair. Bending down, he sniffed it, causing me to recoil in disgust.

"And your hair feels like silk, shining like diamonds. I would say you're a pampered young master. If you won't disclose your family, and continue with these unbelievable lies, little songbird, your stay here may become rather uncomfortable."

As I opened my mouth to speak, my mind scrambled to find the right words, but before I could utter a sound, his sudden actions caught me off guard. His firm grip on the back of my neck silenced me instantly. I was left speechless, unable to respond. I knew the emperor had commissioned these garments exclusively from the royal tailor. Upon closer examination, one could spot his distinctive mark etched into the fabric. I prayed that no one would scrutinize them too closely, for fear of dire consequences. It was common knowledge that only those of royal blood were permitted to don such attire.

"We shall continue this discussion during the evening feast." he proclaimed, breaking the tense silence that engulfed the room.

"You are free to explore both indoors and outdoors, although I strongly advise against attempting any escape. Should you dare to flee, I shall be left with no choice but to deliver pain and punishment upon you, and I would rather not blemish such flawless skin." he whispered, his fingertips tenderly tracing the back of my neck. His touch sent a shudder down my spine, as if I were being doused in frigid water.

Involuntarily, I trembled, forcing thoughts of Mu yang and his touch to the depths of my mind. With utmost composure, I stood still until their leader released his grip and strolled out of the room.