CHAPTER 30

The eunuch observed his empress, who held her head high with a commanding presence and grace. He knew exactly what she was planning – to buy time until they could acquire what they needed in order to level the playing field. However, he never forgot who they were up against. The empress may have underestimated her own son, but the eunuch knew Mu Yang had a dangerous side that no one dared to cross. He had witnessed the young emperor grow and saw in Mu Yang a curiosity that reminded him of the late emperor. At times, he questioned why he was assisting her, but he was infatuated with the empress from the moment he laid eyes on her when the emperor brought her to the palace. This infatuation was his downfall, as he couldn't see reason when it came to the empress.

He maneuvered through the gathered crowd, making his way to his destination. The spy he was in contact with hadn't reported in the previous night, causing him to worry. When he informed her highness, she devised a plan to buy more time, suggesting she would grovel before her son – something she would rather die than do – but the end justified the means. He walked down the hall, bowing to the guards as he passed them. Once he was out of sight, he slipped into a secret passage and made his way to the maids' quarters. The girl who served as his contact to the outside world was one of the emperor's silk buyers, specifically chosen by him for this purpose. She would carry a letter to his contact in town and bring back a response.

The gate guard had taken a liking to her, making it unlikely for him to search her. Xuan had instructed the girl to do whatever was necessary to maintain his interest, ensuring their secret remained hidden. Upon arriving at the girl's chambers, she handed him the awaited letter.

"It was a close call today," she whispered as he took the letter and began to read it.

"Hush now, girl, and take a seat. You're too jumpy. Don't worry, you won't be caught."

"But, sir, I think we should cool it for a while, at least until things die down. The emperor has royal guards throughout the capital, and I'm afraid." the trembling girl expressed her concerns. The eunuch lifted his eyes from the paper and looked at her.

"Don't worry, I've obtained what I needed. It's right here," he said, folding the letter and slipping it into his sleeve. "Get some rest." Xuan instructed the girl before slipping back into the passage he came from. He needed to return to the court before his absence was noticed. He knew that when her highness saw the news he had, she would be most pleased with him.

MU YANG'S POV:

Every night, as I close my eyes, he haunts my dreams. His captivating eyes pierce through the darkness, sometimes filled with desire as we make love, other times pleading for me to find him. But the most haunting dreams are the ones where I discover him lifeless and cold, tormenting me until the early hours of the morning.

It has been ten days since I last heard from my men, and my mind is consumed by a whirlwind of thoughts that I cannot reveal to anyone. I refuse to show weakness to those lurking in the shadows, waiting for any sign of vulnerability. I make my way towards the thrones, where the imperial counsels anxiously await my presence. Yet another burden to bear, another stress to navigate. My concubine, Ni Lin, carries my child within her, and though my heart aches for him, I must not forget my position as emperor.

I have decided to marry her as my official empress before the arrival of the child, come spring. I can already envision what will transpire when he finally returns to me. I know he will fight, and I know I will not allow him to slip away, even if it means imprisoning him. It may be deemed selfish and wicked, but he is mine in every sense of the word. He may despise me, but at least he will be mine, and no one else will have a say in that. Ni Lin understands her place as empress, and in time, he will come to understand his place by my side.

Walking ahead, with Xuan trailing behind me, I am reminded of the deceit and treachery that surround me. People believe that their actions go unnoticed, but I see and hear everything. For now, I have tolerated their presence because of their usefulness to me. Their connections with the Mongols and the information they possess have served my purpose. But soon, once I have what I need, the traitors who have betrayed their emperor and country shall face the consequences. None shall be spared.