CHAPTER 40

Cai's Point of View

Everything had become complicated. I longed to return to Fu Shang and live a comfortable life with Mu Quin. Sitting in the hot springs bath, I washed away his touch from my body. My mind wandered back to just a few minutes ago. What was I thinking? I felt safe in his embrace, alone with him in that room. I felt safe, something I hadn't felt in a while. That's why I let myself give in to him, to forget everything else. How foolish. What was I going to do after giving myself to him? I didn't realize I was crying until my tears clouded my vision.

"Why are you crying?" his voice asked from behind me. I felt empty. I wished to return to my innocent days, to return to Fu Shang, but dare I voice my thoughts? He had made his opinion on my leaving clear.

"I wish to go home, your majesty." I said, lifting the water in my hands and watching it fall. He came and sat by the stone, taking the washcloth in his hand and began washing my back. I didn't flinch, I just sat there like a statue and let him wash me.

"I cannot do that, Cai lung, i can never do that." He said, running his hand through my wet hair.

"Ask of me anything else, but that is something I can never do."

"I will not pretend that I am not drawn to you your highness." I said. "I am drawn to your power, your confidence, and sometimes your charms. But you know, Your Highness, as much as I am drawn to those things, I feel trapped by them, look at what has happened to me since I came to the palace. If you're looking for an epic love story, Your Highness, I'm afraid you're looking at the wrong person. Please, let me return not to my family's palace, but to my mother's home. Let me forget all of this, I beg of you. If you do not want my resentment, let me leave with whatever little affection remains." My voice pleaded with him.

His hand paused midway up my back before he continued washing me. "I know what has happened to you, and I will seek vengeance for you." He said, his voice cold and hard. "But matters regarding you staying here by my side. will never change." he declares, his hand reaching towards me.

I push his hand away firmly, refusing to be coerced any longer. "I won't be controlled by anyone anymore." I assert, my voice laced with determination. He studies me, sensing the thoughts that have been brewing in my mind during my time away.

"I see that you have been contemplating your future. Well, let me make it clear today, I am making an official decree that you cannot escape, unless it is through death." he declares, rising from his seat and towering over me with a cold, authoritative aura.

I meet his gaze, seeing the determination in his eyes, but also recognizing the mask of power he wears. If I continue to stay by his side as he desires, I know deep down that it will lead to nothing but trouble. The memories of her face, filled with hate, flash before my eyes. I cannot let myself be trapped here, i begin to laugh, the laughter turning into cries. I fought so hard to return, but now I feel just as trapped as before. How can I live carefree again? How can I end all this misery?

Suddenly, a girl's voice interrupts my thoughts. I turn to see Meixiang, and a pang of guilt hits me. How could I have forgotten about her? I brought her all the way here and then abandoned her.

"Young master." she sighs. "Eunuch Xuian has asked me to bring you in. the emperor has left for morning court and require your presence there, my lord." Nodding silently, I step out of the water as the maids hold my silk tunic open, slipping it onto my wet body. I walk through the garden, my mind filled with questions and doubts. As I enter the room, I am greeted by Eunuch Xuian and two other servants, who have prepared food.

i look around and notice that at some point Meixiang had disappear. "May I know where the girl who accompanied me here is?" I inquire, looking at Eunuch Xuian.

"She was taken to the maids' quarters after your outburst, young master." he replies.

"Bring her to me after I return from court." I instruct, allowing the servants to dress me. Two maids bring in a top knot gold crown, carefully placing it on a pillow. A strange feeling settles in the pit of my stomach as I gaze at the ornate accessory.

"What is that?" I ask, the servants exchanging glances before turning to Eunuch Xuian.

"Do not worry, young master. You need to wear this before you enter court and seek audience with emperor." he explains.

I ponder his words, a sense of suspicion creeping in. "But I have been to court before, and I don't recall any officials wearing something like this." I point out, gesturing towards the elaborate crown.

Eunuch Xuian's movements falter for a moment before he regains his composure. "Young master, this is your family crest. Every young master attending court must wear it." He states. Though skeptical, I have no choice but to allow them to dress me. Eunuch Xuian takes a step back, admiration evident in his eyes.

"How beautiful." he comments, and I shoot him a look for his remark.

"It is time, young master. We must make our way to the main palace." he announces, guiding me out of the room

. Meanwhile, further south, Chang dong finds himself face to face with the southern leader. "What a pleasant surprise to have you visit me, Liu Chang dong. What brings you here on such short notice?"

the southern leader greets him with feigned pleasantries.

"Cut the act, you know exactly why I'm here." Chang dong retorts, his gaze firmly fixed on the southern leader. The southern leader's smile fades, replaced by a hint of anger.

"Do I? Ah yes, your spoils from war seem to have mysteriously disappeared. Pray tell, how did that happen under your watch?"

Chang dong clenches his teeth, forcing a smile. If he wants to uncover more about Bai, he will have to endure this man's presence.

"Well, it appears that my men have become too complacent without any battles to fight. But rest assured, those who needed to be punished were dealt with accordingly." Chang dong explains.

"Now, let us get to the point, Chang dong. Why are you here at my base, after you rudely sent my general away?" the southern leader demands, his anger simmering beneath the surface.

Chang dong takes a deep breath, knowing that he must tread carefully to obtain the information he seeks.

"I did not come empty-handed, instead, I offer you a place at the table for the upcoming war against the emperor." he proposes, watching the southern leader's reaction intently. "All I require in return is information."