CHAPTER 52

Weeks had passed before news of the emperor's wounds finally reached the palace. Rumors of a deadly poison without an antidote circulated, claiming that he was slowly succumbing to its effects. It seemed that everything had spiraled out of control, leaving the palace court in a state of dismay. At the forefront of it all was Empress Li Ling, secretly relieved that her own child would be crowned should the emperor meet his demise. In the midst of this chaos, I found solace in tending to the herbs, carefully sorting them to create possible antidotes.

But it was not enough; I needed more. I also sought out specific roots to aid in his failing health. Memories of my father teaching me the ancient art of herb mixing from the Ben Cao King Ji Zhu flooded my mind. Though I couldn't be certain about the exact poison used, my time spent with the Mongolians had given me enough knowledge to counteract it if it was derived from their region. Ever since the day of En Lei's visit, I had not felt like myself. Sickness still clung to me, but I persisted in sorting the plants. Weakness consumed me, and violent coughing fits wracked my body more frequently. Xiang, who stood beside me, draped a quilt over my shoulders, her worried eyes noting my unusually pale complexion.

Some days, I was too feeble to even leave my bed. And whenever I ventured into the palace gardens, I could feel my strength wane as the day progressed. Consulting a healer was pointless; they found no ailment within me. I refused to endure another round of meaningless talk about ailing hearts. Deep down, I knew something was amiss, but I lacked the motivation to preserve my own well-being.Weeks have passed since Enlai delivered my uncle's message to me, and as time went by, the weather began to change. Although it was still cold, the flowers had bloomed, making the days brighter. The talk around the palace was that the plum blossom festival was approaching. Not much has changed here at the palace.

They still seek my head, but it's better to stay out of the way than to pose a challenge for the crown when the time comes. What I find hard to believe is that they do not consider the possibility that the emperor may survive his afflictions and unleash his wrath upon them. He is not a forgiving man. While he rules with fairness, he kills with vengeance and takes what he desires without thinking of the consequences. I would not want to face his wrath, and I would assume that those who have served by his side for so long would know what he is capable of.

If that is the case, then they should not act as they are now. A wise man once said that when fate chooses its course, none can alter it. The scrolls in the library here have provided me with much knowledge that I did not possess before. The tutors sent to me each week to teach me the ways of the court have not slacked off in their lessons. Now, I know how to navigate the politics of court, even though I had no choice but to involve myself. I must protect myself, so I too find myself entangled in the politics. Yet, I have done everything in my power not to dwell on his untimely end.

Just as he fought for my safety and returned me from my captors, I will fight for his life from the clutches of the afterlife. But I have done all I can in these past weeks. I have used the brewing skills my father taught me to try and aid the emperor, but I will not know the outcome until I see him. So, all that is left for me is to wait for his return. The skies have darkened, and most of my maids have retired for the night. I have no need for them now. Staying up night after night, trying every herbal remedy I could think of, has taken its toll.

But I remind myself that I do this not out of any personal feelings towards the emperor, but for the good of the country with him as their leader. If I were a wicked man, I would not even concern myself with his affairs. Mei Xiang approaches before appearing in the doorway of the small room I am using to write my findings.

"Will you be in here all night, young master? It is way past dark." she says, glancing at the untouched tray of dinner on the desk beside me. "You have not touched your dinner tonight." she adds. She has a small quilt draped around her shoulders, holding it tightly in one hand. She is in her nightgown, and I realize that I have lost track of time with my research.

She holds a small lantern in her other hand, waiting for answers from me. I can see that she is ready to retire for the night but is waiting on me. If I send her away, she will go, but I know she will not rest until I do. With a sigh, I blow out the candlelight and rise from my chair. I know sleep will not come to me yet, as my nightmares have been worsening lately. I cannot be selfish and keep Mei Xiang awake with me.

"Do you need anything else before I retire?" she asks as I lay my aching back on the bed.

"I am perfectly fine, just wake me up early tomorrow because I have to attend morning court," I informed her, now that I have asserted my authority as my uncle refers to it. His people and the Hung family have placed me in court alongside the empress as her equal, yet I could sense the disdain on their faces every time I make an appearance. More than half of the court despises my presence, but they won't dare utter such words to my face. No, these individuals fight in the shadows, seeking to bring me down with death and ruin.

I couldn't decipher when sleep finally claimed me amidst the countless thoughts swirling in my mind, but it did. The morning light seeped through my partially-covered window, although the quilts blocked most of its radiance around my bed. I found myself in a state between wakefulness and sleep. Suddenly, a shout and the sound of hurried footsteps echoing through the halls jolted me awake. Blinking away the remnants of drowsiness, I listened as the sounds grew louder and the voices drew nearer. Intrigued, I rose from the comfort of my soft bed, brushing aside the strands of fallen hair that littered around me. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, preparing myself to face whatever challenges this new day had in store.

Just as my feet touched the soft rug beneath them, a group of people burst into my chambers. The lightweight garment I wore did little to conceal my pale skin beneath it. Looking up, I observed about ten individuals ranging from maids to ministers standing at the doorway. Their heads bowed, avoiding eye contact with me. I could never grow accustomed to this, for in all aspects, I was still a man and not a delicate flower whose petals should not be touched or gazed upon, unless, of course, one had managed to marry an emperor.

Clearing my throat to rid myself of the remnants of sleep from my voice, I inquired. "What brings ministers to my doorstep so early in the morning?"

I asked as Mei Xiang strolled past the bowing figures, holding a white robe in her hands. I stood up and allowed her to undress me while awaiting an answer to my question from these unexpected visitors.

"We apologize for this interruption, Your Highness, but the emperor has returned. Scouts arrived just before dawn, informing us that the army was half a day away from here." one of the ministers explained, as Mei Xiang held onto me for support.

If it wasn't for her presence, I would have crumbled to my knees. I wasn't prepared for the emotions that welled up inside me upon hearing the news. "When-" I cleared my throat once more, as my voice had become soft and hoarse.

"When will he arrive?"

I inquired, attempting to keep my emotions in check.

"Just before noon, Your Highness. The scouts also relayed a message from the emperor, stating that although he has hardly slept throughout most of the journey, he made sure to request being brought to you."