CHAPTER 15

Cai Lung stood next to the horses outside the palace, while two guards kept a watchful eye on him, awaiting the arrival of the emperor. He paid no mind to his bodyguards, his attention solely fixed on the towering gate that stood before him, towering over seven feet tall. When he had earlier exited the palace and laid eyes upon the immense structure, all hopes and notions of escaping had been crushed in that very moment. Not even the Dragon House Gate was as imposing as this. He pondered on what he had expected, realizing that every precaution had been taken to safeguard the emperor, and this colossal gate was just one of many measures in place.

Cai Lung let out a sigh and tore his gaze away from the entrance, instead taking in his surroundings. If the circumstances were different, he might have found joy in living within and exploring the palace grounds. He had to admit to himself that the palace was truly a breathtaking place. After the eunuch had hurriedly ushered him away earlier, he was taken to a room that was supposedly his. The eunuch had stood there, vigilant and watchful of his every move. Orders were given for maids to attend to Cai Lung, washing and oiling his skin. The only respite from the eunuch's watchful eyes came when the eunuch left to prepare his clothes.

However, the relief that washed over him as the man departed quickly dissipated when he unexpectedly reappeared, bearing the attire he wished for Cai Lung to don. Cai Lung studied the outfit meticulously, his gaze eventually locking onto the man's piercing stare. "Am I destined for the battlegrounds, or am I merely a pawn to be paraded and showcased for his highness?" Cai Lung questioned with a hint of frustration in his voice.

"You must maintain an impeccable appearance before the emperor, regardless of the situation or purpose," the eunuch declared curtly before turning away to collect his meal from a passing maid, signifying the end of their conversation. Cai Lung proceeded to don the exquisite attire, a mesmerizing Hanfu crafted from white and blue silk adorned with delicate patterns of blue flowers. The fabric cascaded gracefully to the ground, accompanied by matching silk pants that lay snugly beneath. As Cai Lung adorned himself in the ensemble, he reveled in the luxurious feel of the silk against his skin, appreciating its lightweight and delicate nature 

clad in the opulent golden armor adorned with the Emperor's crest and intricately carved dragons. However, the weight of the armor pressed against his limbs, constricting his movements and making him feel incredibly uneasy. Cai Lung had never worn armor before, nor did he ever anticipate needing to. As he stood there, feeling like a helpless child, maids attended to him, feeding him with gentle care while others meticulously adjusted and fastened the armor. He was forbidden to touch anything, his every action dictated by those around him.

Once the maids had completed their task, Cai Lung was escorted outside, the weight of the armor weighing heavily upon him. The golden plates gleamed under the sunlight, reflecting his discomfort. He walked cautiously, acutely aware of the restrictive nature of the armor. Every step felt cumbersome and unnatural, as if he were encased in an unfamiliar world.

As Cai Lung stood among the horses, waiting for his highness to arrive, he couldn't help but fidget and squirm within his uncomfortable armor. His gaze wandered, observing the flurry of activity around him. Maids scurried back and forth, attending to various tasks, while eunuchs carried out their duties with precision and efficiency.

A deep sense of unease coursed through Cai Lung's veins, the weight of the armor serving as a constant reminder of his constrained existence within the palace walls. He yearned to break free from this cursed place to escape the clutches of an evil king and find his own path in life. If donning this ridiculous outfit and following the tyrant into battle provided him with the chance to seize his freedom, he would not let it pass him by.