CHAPTER 34

The loud noise outside his room caught Mu Yang's attention, pulling him from his deep slumber. His eyes opened, adjusting to the bright sunlight pouring in from the windows. He squinted, turning away from the windows and sitting up. Rubbing his eyes, he let out a yawn, wondering what the commotion was about. Then, Eunuch Xuian burst into the room.

"Majesty, your imperial mother has arrived!" he announced. "She wishes to see you immediately."

Mu Yang was stunned. His mother the the empress Dowager was a woman who had never ventured beyond the opulent walls of the Pearl Palace to pay him a visit. It seemed she had arrived now with the sole purpose of pleading for him to revoke the decree that banished her to distant lands. However, with all the deeds she had committed, he could not entertain the idea of granting her request. With the imminent arrival of the new Empress, he intended to announce that the Empress Dowager would be leaving the palace due to health concerns, seeking solace in the practice of Buddhism.

That way, his mother would no longer be able to interfere with his plans. "Prepare a robe for me, and bring imperial mother to the main hall." Mu Yang instructed Eunuch Xuian. "I will greet her there."

"Yes, Majesty," Eunuch Xuian confirmed, exiting the room and closing the doors. A few minutes later, Eunuch Xuian returned with an elaborate set of robes. Mu Yang rose from his bed and walked toward him. Taking the robe, he pulled it on, tying it tightly before stepping in front of a mirror to examine himself.

"Tell my mother I am ready."

Mu Yang informed Eunuch Xuian. Nodding, the man departed. Mu Yang looked at his reflection, noting the dark circles under his eyes and the frown on his lips. He would have to put on a show of happiness for his mother, but inside he felt nothing but emptiness. There was no joy to be found in this union, not when he had someone else he wished to spend his life with. The only thought that brought him any semblance of comfort was knowing that he would finally get to meet his target today.

After weeks of waiting, it was finally happening. From his elevated seat on the throne, Emperor Mu Yang observed as a woman of elegance and grace entered the grand hall. She was adorned in a flowing red dress, its wide sleeves embroidered with delicate white ponies. With every step she took, the trailing hem of her dress swayed, as if the flowers upon it were gently dancing in the breeze. Despite nearing the age of fifty, her posture remained graceful, and her face retained a youthful glow that had not faded since his childhood.

As the Empress Dowager made her entrance, she gracefully bowed and knelt before her son, the emperor.

"This mother humbly greets the sun of the empire." she uttered, prostrating herself before him.

"Please rise, imperial Mother." Mu Yang responded, motioning for her to sit on the chair next to him. She straightened herself and sat, keeping her gaze focused on him. The two did not exchange pleasantries, as both knew the true reason for the empress's dowager sudden arrival. She had come to discuss the issue of her exile.

"imperial Mother, I'm afraid I cannot grant your wish to remain in the palace." Mu Yang informed her, cutting to the chase.

The empress sighed, clasping her hands together in her lap.

"your majesty, I did not come here to ask for that," the Empress Dowager stated. "I know there is nothing I can say or do to change your mind. However, I came because I received news that there was a rebellion brewing within the empire. It was said that they had gathered in the south, where a large number of troops had assembled and were marching towards the capital city."

"I see," Mu Yang replied, tapping his fingers against the armrest of his throne. "I have received reports about this matter, and have already taken steps to deal with it."

"Have you now?" The empress Dowager raised an eyebrow, her expression skeptical.

"Yes.

The leader of this rebellion, a certain General Zhou, he was killed. As for his followers, they have been subdued. I will soon announce a new general who will oversee the army in the south and deal with any future insurgents."

"A new general? You mean the former General Li will be called back to court?" the Empress Dowager questioned.

"He will, yes," Mu Yang replied.

"How wonderful. He was a loyal servant, and a good friend." she said, as her pulse quickened, a surge of adrenaline coursed through her veins. this unforeseen turn of events shattered the carefully constructed strategy she had painstakingly crafted. the grand scheme she had set in motion crumbled before her eyes, and the aged fool she had work so hard to remove would now be reinstated.

"Imperial Mother, it seems that our discussion has reached its conclusion. I will not be accompanying you after the wedding, but the new general has been assigned to ensure your safe journey to your new home, and to prevent any possible mishaps." Mu Yang was well aware of his mother's cunning nature and the fact that she still had spies within the court. Therefore, he felt it necessary to keep a close watch on her.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go and prepare for my Impeding wedding. imperial Mother, please enjoy the rest of your stay in within the palace walls, and take care." Mu Yang concluded, rising from his throne.

"Very well." the Empress Dowager replied, giving him a slight bow as he exited the hall. Mu Yang was greeted by Eunuch Xuian, who accompanied him back to his chambers.

"Eunuch Xuian, did my mother have anything with her when she arrived?" Mu Yang asked.

"No, Your Majesty," the eunuch answered.

"Nothing?"

"I'm sorry, Majesty, but she did not."

"Hmm.