CHAPTER 50

Gloomy clouds loom overhead, casting a shadow over the desolate battlefield. The rain pours down relentlessly, saturating the earth and washing away the remnants of bloodstains. The putrid stench of death and decay fills the air, a constant reminder of the horrors that have unfolded. My weary limbs and wounded body push forward, swords slashing through the enemy ranks. Betrayed by one of my own, I remain vigilant, determined to overcome all those who conspired against me. I navigate through the chaos, my eyes fixated on their general who sits atop his horse, wrapped in thick fur and wielding a sword. With each swing, he mercilessly cuts down my men. His intentions are clear - he seeks to defeat me, the rightful emperor.

The desire for vengeance courses through my veins, causing my body to tremble. Sweat drips down my face, stinging my eyes like venomous snakes. The cries of agony echo in the air, drowning out all other sounds. Amid the disorder and violence, my heart races, the pounding in my ears resembling a relentless drumbeat beneath my helmet. Yet, the cries of the dying men persist, refusing to be silenced. Thunder rumbles in the sky as dusk descends upon the battlefield. A cry for retreat is heard, but it is drowned out by the clash of swords. The pain from my wounds is numbed by the adrenaline surging through me. This is an ambush, and I trust no one. But in the end, even one of my trusted generals turns against me in pursuit of power. Despite this betrayal, my army remains formidable, dominating the field. Finally, I reach my destination. I send my sword soaring through the air, aimed at the Mongolian on his horse. He swiftly dodges, losing his balance and crashing to the ground. Mud clings to his body, hindering his movements. Without wasting a moment, I close in on him, my sword poised for the final blow. Yet, just as victory seems within reach, searing pain erupts from my shoulder. An arrow, laced with a potent poison, pierces my back. Weakness washes over me, my body succumbing to the poison's effects. As my vision blurs, a shout of "Your Majesty!" reaches my ears.

Someone shields me from the impending strike of a sword. My loyal men surround me, their presence a comforting embrace in the midst of chaos. "Retreat!" a voice cries out, but its origin remains unknown. Darkness creeps into my vision, and I feel as though I am floating in the sky. In his arms, beneath a blooming cherry blossom tree, I find solace. Pink petals envelop us like soft quilts, creating an ethereal atmosphere. He plays a sorrowful tune, evoking a sense of longing and love. The music calms my soul, resonating deep within me.

"Am I dreaming?" I inquire, my voice filled with uncertainty.

"We both are," he responds.

"Are you dead?" he asks me.

"I am unsure, I only knew I had to see you." The music ceases, and silence envelops us.

"I do not want you to die, Your Majesty. Perhaps I will regret these words when I awaken, but if this is but a fleeting dream, and my words cannot reach you, then let them reach you now. I beseech you, for the sake of this kingdom, do not perish."

I lift my head, meeting his gaze. His sincere wish for my safety shines in his eyes, tinged with sadness and weariness. I place my palm on his cheek, urging him to look at me. In an instant, everything changes.

We find ourselves submerged in a tranquil lake. Our lips meet, and he fades away, sinking deeper into the water. He cries out.

"I swear by the moon and the stars that I will never love another. and in our next life, I will find you! Only then, my love, will we never be parted!"

"No!" Mu Yang screams.

"No!"

Mu Yang's cries freeze in time, filled with immense pain and anguish. His body sinks, consumed by the water surrounding him.

"I will love you forever and always." Mu Yang hears the whispered words carried by the wind before everything fades to black. This dream has haunted him, appearing in fragments as he drifts in and out of consciousness.

"Will he survive?" Zing Ah asks the healer, who diligently tends to the wounds on the emperor's chest. The healer sighs, perplexed by the poison's effects.

"The poison has inflicted significant damage. Now, it is up to the Gods to decide his fate. I have done all that I can, but this poison is unlike any I have encountered before."

"Well, save him, or it will be your head that greets the Gods." Zing Ah declares.

The gentle breeze dances in from the west, sending chills down my already cold skin. The sweet aroma of plum blossoms fills the air, providing a brief moment of tranquility as I inhale deeply. Yet, despite the peaceful morning, I can't shake the unease that lingers within me. Here I sit in the garden, cradling a pot adorned with delicate floral patterns, planting the herbs that I have. This has become my daily routine, as I am forbidden from venturing beyond the palace walls or even my own manor. As the seasons change, the vibrant colors of the garden awaken, and the refreshing scent of freshly cut mint leaves eases the waves of nausea that have plagued me lately.

A supposed healer passes by, but with each visit, his incompetence only adds to my frustration. The potions he provides to restore strength to my ailing body are nothing more than diluted herbs. And when his concoctions prove ineffective, he blames it on an illness of the heart, as if that is the root of my suffering. He is nothing more than a charlatan. Yet, under my uncle's orders, I am forced to swallow every drop without complaint, lest I waste away without fulfilling my purpose.

Memories of my uncle and the empress flood my mind. I can still hear her haunting words from her last visit, whispered with malicious intent. "I shall confine you here, within this beautiful palace, you will be my husband's trophy."

Uncle is far from pleased with my deteriorating health. He expects me to assume my role as an official concubine to the emperor, a fact he makes sure I never forget. In his eyes, this is the position my mother should have held alongside the late emperor. "This time," he said before departing with the emperor, "you will regain what your mother and father cost the Zho family."