54

Chapter 54

Beitang Ao kept his promise. When Cui Nu returned with Li’er, he told her that Yan Feili was the child’s adoptive father. Yan Feili wanted Cui Nu to live here with the child for some time and take care of Yan Feili’s daily life.

After Beitang Ao stayed for a while, he returned to Shenmei Courtyard. 

Yan Feili met the child again and can be with him day and night. Naturally, he cherished this hard-won reunion. Probably it was the mother and the son who joined the heart that they got acquainted with one another within half a day. In the next few days, Yan Feili accompanied Li’er every step of the way and wanted the child to sleep with himself at night.

These days, Jianjing busied itself with the New Year’s. There were a lot of affairs, but Beitang Ao didn’t bother to make a mistake.

Soon it was New Year’s Eve again.

Floating lanterns lit up and festooned with joy. As usual, there was an annual feast in the main hall, but this year there was no such thing as Sect Master Dongfang Xi and his generals. Because of the victories in the Yue Kingdom, the Wen Kingdom was overjoyed and called this “unsatisfied” brother back to spend the festive season together. Everyone in Tianmen knew that this time Dongfang Xi finally seized the opportunity not only to consolidate his power in the Wen Kingdom but also one step closer to the goal he wanted. 

In the fully seated banquet, apart from some people who had been known in advance to be unable to attend, there was one person who was not here. That was Lin Yanyan. Her pregnancy had caused her great inconvenience, and she didn’t bother to attend this annual banquet.

This evening, only Beitang Ao was present.

Yan Feili was not distracted and absentmindedly drinking with everyone but thinking of Li’er in his heart. He thought that Li’er was very smart. In just a few days, he learned a few words under Yan Feili’s teaching. Yan Feili was proud of the child.

As soon as night fell, Yan Feili couldn’t bear it and found an excuse to retire first. Back to the Bamboo Garden, Li’er was sleeping. Yan Feili thought that this was not only Li’er’s first New Year but also his birthday. After letting Cui Nu leave, Yan Feili sat next to the bed, looked at Li’er’s sleeping face tenderly, and gently patted him with a big hand. His face was full of love.

We’re sorry for MTLers or people who like using reading mode, but our translations keep getting stolen by aggregators so we’re going to bring back the copy protection. If you need to MTL please retype the gibberish parts.

Qtfc Dflajcu Cb mjwf lc, tf rjk atlr wbnlcu rmfcf. Mbg j wbwfca, tf atbeuta tf tjv jc liierlbc ktfgf Tjc Mflil kjr tlr ‘klof’, qjaalcu atflg rbc ab riffq.

Tjc Mflil kjr j ilaaif regqglrfv ab rff Dflajcu Cb mbwlcu lc, “Vfma Zjrafg, kts jgf sbe tfgf?”

“P mjwf ab rff sbe jcv beg rbc.” Dflajcu Cb kjixfv bnfg, rja yfrlvf tlw, ibbxfv ja Ol’fg, abbx bea j ubivfc ibcufnlas ibmx ogbw tlr jgwr, jcv rjlv, “Kbwbggbk lr atf olgra ylgatvjs bo ws mtliv. P ujnf tlw j ibcu-ilof ibmx. Ojafg ktfc tf kjxfr eq, qea la bc tlw ab xffq tlw rjof.”

Yan Feili took the golden lock and turned over the lock. He saw Li’er’s name and birth date engraved on the back and the lower corner also had the words ‘Peace, Kangtai*, and Longevity’. 

*Kangtai = safety and healthy

“The Sect Master thought well, I didn’t expect this at all!”

Beitang Ao smiled proudly and said, “You must expect more from me! Tomorrow we have to hold a Year ceremony for Li’er.”

Yan Feili also smiled and said, “I’ve been thinking about this.” 

“Oh? What did you prepare?”

“What did the Sect Master prepare?”

I can’t tell you!”

“This subordinate is not rude. This subordinate also can’t tell you!” The two talked and laughed, and they didn’t realize it was almost the time. 

Yan Feili picked up Li’er, woke him, and dressed him tightly. Then, Beitang Ao put on the long-life lock for Li’er, reflecting the more and more pinkish jade on his small face. The two came to the hillside behind the Bamboo Garden with their child, and the sound of whip came from the red wall, and they felt lively.

“Puff… Touch!” The splendid fireworks gleamed out in the dark sky that glowed with a red light.

Li’er’s dark eyes opened wide, looking at the sky.

Lin Yanyan heard the fireworks outside and called the maid, “Is the Sect Master still having a banquet in front?” 

“Yes.”

“You ask someone to invite the Sect Master to come back, saying that I hope he can accompany me to see the fireworks.”

“Yes.”

The maid went down and after a while she returned to say, “Madam, I have sent someone to invite, but they did not see the master, saying that he has retired long ago.” 

“Oh?” Lin Yanyan wore a beautiful frown, “Someone probably went to have a small gathering.”

She didn’t go to the annual banquet today and took a nap for an afternoon. She was very happy now. She tidied her appearance and got up slowly, “You should accompany me to see the fireworks.”

The maid helped her out of the house and stood in the yard for a while. Lin Yanyan looked at the sky outside the high wall and said, “It’s not true here.”

She remembered last year’s New Year. She didn’t see the fireworks because she was drunk. Beitang Ao also said to her regretfully that the hillside behind the Bamboo Garden had the best view of the fireworks display. 

Lin Yanyan took a few maids out of Shenmei Courtyard and turned to the quiet hillside behind. Before she got near, she heard a faint, crisp, and tender laughter peculiar to a child accompanied by the laughter of two men. The voice of one was very familiar.

Turning around the hill, Lin Yanyan saw Beitang Ao and Yan Feili standing on the top of the slope holding Li’er, looking up at the gorgeous scenery in the air and laughing. A firework lifted into the sky, blooming brilliantly in front of everyone, and instantly reflected a bright red, and also reflected the warm smiles on the faces of Beitang Ao and Yan Feili.

Lin Yanyan was shocked! She had never seen Beitang Ao with such an easy smile. There was a trace of pride, a trace of satisfaction, and a trace of tenderness on his face.

Beitang Ao heard the footsteps and turned around to see Lin Yanyan’s surprised face. 

“Yanyan?”

Yan Feili froze.