Chapter twenty

“Careful,” Steven said, rushing over to take the bucket of water from Aliyah. “You shouldn’t do things like this.”
Aliyah rolled her eyes, “I am not a weakling, Steven.”
“I know and I never said you are. In fact, you are the strongest female I know, I guess whether you are the alpha or not, being an alpha bloodline makes you one.”
“Hmm,” Aliyah scoffed, “coming from a boy he had mocked me for being a girl.”
Steven sighed, not chuckling to the joke as he should have. “Aliyah, you have been here for nearly two weeks now, when will you see that I have changed and not the brat I was when we first met?”
“Oh, you knew you were a brat?” She teased.
“Aliyah,” Steven whispered and she laughed. He caught on to her humor a little and put down the bucket of water he was carrying. “I would have ordered the omegas to connect a tap in the house but you know…” he sighed and ran his fingers through his black hair. “I really hope this all end soon.”
“Yeah,” Aliyah exhaled loudly. “I really want to see Anita,” she smiled, “and I know Sean is dying to see her too. If only Irene would wake up, she would have helped them. You know she always creates a hologram of Sean in Monica’s room and they would talk all night. It’s how they have managed to keep in touch and now without her…” she sighed, “I feel bad for them, so bad.”
Steven nodded and after a while, he asked, “what happens then?”
“What?” She asked with a frown.
“What happens after the fight?”
Aliyah smiled, “everyone would be happy. Sean would reunite with Monica and Anita, you will get back your title as future alpha because Alpha Damien would have seen how wrong he was. Everyone could sleep peacefully at night and maybe, just maybe, Irene and Rasmus would come clean to each other,” she chuckled.
“That’s a beautiful picture, but what about you? What happens to you and him?” his gaze flitted to her protruding belly for a second before going back to her bright blue eyes, “what happens to you.”
“I can go back home, I can finally be with my parents again and he would grow in our pack. Hopefully, he would find his wolf at sixteen as the rest of us and if luck is on our side, he won’t have to search so long for his mate like his father or me.”
“What happens then?”
Aliyah frowned, “you keep asking that, what else do you want to happen?”
“Aliyah, you are only nineteen. Are you planning on living your long life alone?”
This time, Aliyah exhaled loudly and shrugged, “that is what my fate is so I guess I can do it.”
Steven bit his lip and nodded, he run his fingers through his hair again and bent over to pick up the bucket. He started walking back to the cottage without another word and it made Aliyah frown, wondering if she had said something that offended him before silently following him.
It’s been two weeks since Steven brought them to the cottage and it was the longest they have ever stayed in a place even with Irene’s scent hiding potion. Sean and Rasmus had started helping to fight whenever the Rogues or deranged nightwalkers attacked. With how busy and scared everyone usually was, no one noticed the sane nightwalker fighting alongside them or the big red wolf that certainly didn’t belong in the pack.
Sean and Rasmus had agreed that it was the only way they could secretly pay the pack for protecting them all these while even if the alpha of the pack doesn’t know they were there. Aliyah had been going through different books about witches to know if she could find out what is wrong with Irene or how to help her but none of the books Steven had brought to her was of help.
When they walked into the cottage, Steven carried the bucket of water into the room for her and she followed silently, however, Steven stopped frozen when he opened the door and wondering what could have happened, Aliyah rushed to see. Irene was sitting up on the bed, her eyes were ashen black and she was performing a spell. “No,” Aliyah yelled and pushed past Steven into the room, grabbing onto Irene on the shoulders and shaking her. “Irene no, you are giving us away, Irene.”
“Fuck,” Steven said, dropping the bucket and not caring that the water spilled. He quickly rushed to Aliyah, “she is not supposed to be doing this?”
“No, this is not her,” Aliyah responded still shaking the woman. Suddenly, Irene’s black gaze went to her stomach and her hand shoot out to grab her. Aliyah gasped in shock feeling the icy touch on her stomach, however, she felt an unsettling in her stomach. “No, Irene…” she called and then screamed as she felt a strong stomachache hit her.
“Aliyah,” Steven yelled and grabbed onto Irene’s icy hand to pull away but the grip was too strong like a magnet. He concentrated all his alpha strength and finally managed to pull her hand away but Irene’s black gaze went to him and with a flip of her hand and a muffled incantation, she smacked Steven against the wall and her hand with black lines and black nails went back to Aliyah’s stomach.
Meanwhile, in a black room, a woman was sitting with a crystal ball in her hand, watching the scene that was happening in the cottage room and a sly smile appeared on her face. “Go on, poison the little prince for me, it will make it all easier,” she chuckled as she continued infusing black smoke in the crystal ball and watched as the smoke reacts on Irene.
“Leave her alone!” Steven yelled, shifting into his alpha wolf immediately and leaped at Irene, grabbing onto her neck with his jaw and leaping out of the bed where he smacked her on the floor.
The door burst opened then and Rasmus was shocked seeing what was happening, “how dare you?” he yelled as his eyes turned red and his claws and fangs elongated. He dashed at Steven at an inhumane speed and grabbed the black wolf by its hind leg, pulling him away from Irene and flipping him at the bathroom door. Steven collided with the door which broke out of its hinges at the impact but he was on his paws in the next second, snarling at Irene, not at all trying to fight Rasmus.
Rasmus rushed to him then but Sean stepped in the way, spreading his arms wide to stop the man. “Rasmus stop,” he yelled, “something is wrong.”
“Of course, he is attacking them,” Rasmus growled.
“No, look at Aliyah, Steven will never attack Aliyah.”
“He was attacking Irene!”
“Look at her!” Sean pointed at Irene and Rasmus turned then to see Irene convulsing on the floor. Her eyes were ashen black and her fingers were curved with her black pointed nails ready for attack. “Something is happening to her and I think Steven was trying to protect Aliyah.”
Rasmus rushed to Irene then and cradled her head, rubbing his thumb on her temple to calm her down. “What is happening?” he whispered.
“I think that woman somehow has a hold on her in her unconscious state. And since it’s like that, Aliyah is not safe with her anymore,” Sean whispered just as he heard Steven shifting behind him. “Just imagine if Steven wasn’t here,” he said as she rushed to Aliyah who has lost consciousness by then and he felt her forehead to realize that she was burning. “What happened?” he turned to Steven.
“Aliyah and I just came in, I had seen her outside carrying water and offered to help her. When I opened the door, the witch was sitting on the bed and muttering an incantation. Aliyah rushed to her, shaking her and telling her to wake up that she would be giving us away. The next I know, she was grabbing Aliyah on the stomach and Aliyah was screaming. At first I had wanted to just move her hand away but she had a strong grip, a very strong one that she even managed to throw me against the wall without as much as trying. That was when I shifted, something had to be done, otherwise, I don’t know what she would have done to Aliyah or was doing to her.”
“We heard her scream, well, Rasmus did. His hearing is very good as you already know,” Sean said, his eyes going to Aliyah’s stomach to see blood stain and holes on her top, holes that were made by sharp nails impaling it. He quickly pulled up her top to confirm Steven’s story. There were five marks on her stomach in a circular motion, evidence of Irene grabbing her as tightly as Steven had said. Looking up at Rasmus, he asked, “what should we do now?”
“Since she is dangerous, we will have to be locking her up in the other room till she regains consciousness,” saying that, he stood up while carrying Irene who had lost consciousness out of the room. Sean sighed because he knew the decision was hard on the man and not only that, if Irene is now a pawn to that woman, will she ever wake up then?