Chapter thirty six

"My lord," Gaziah called as he entered a throne room. There were statues of snakes and pythons in two long roles that went straight to the throne. He went on his knees immediately he came close to the throne and bowed his head, "I have failed you."

The white-haired man sitting on the throne sighed when he heard that, "you didn't bring the throne and you are covered in blood, that means the Cat demons intercepted on your mission?"

"Yes, my Lord," Gaziah confirmed. "Before we got to the royal demon palace, Medlyn and her kittens were already there, although we didn't leave with the throne, they didn't either. However, my lord, that is not the only thing I have come to report to you."

"What is it?" the man asked.

"I gathered from hearsay of the wolves that the eternal fire has been found."

"That is not true," the man shouted and stood up from his throne immediately, he was dressed in white robes with snake patterns on it and he glared at the man kneeling in front of him. "The eternal fire had been lost for the past seven hundred years, how could it have been found miraculously?"

"That was what I thought too my lord until I heard that it wasn't a demon that now possess the demon fire."

"What rubbish are you speaking Gaziah, only demons can possess the eternal fire."

"Not this time my lord, from what I heard, it is the vampire prince that now possess the eternal fire."

"Prince Edward?" The man shouted with disgust, "no, no, no, it cannot be. I will take any other person having the fire but him, no, I have not forgotten how he barged into our kingdom four months ago and brutally murdered our men. If it wasn't for me, you would have been killed by him that day too, Gaziah, or have you forgotten?"

"Of course not My lord, that is why I clearly understands your anger right now. I have kept his action in my heart, waiting for the day that I would take my revenge on him, the day that I would take the revenge of what he did to my kinsmen. Tell me my lord, what shall we do now?"

"I have never cared about the wolves or the vampires. As long as they don't interfere with our daily lives, they are nothing but the trees to me. But it all changed after that night he barged into here and killed my people like he owned them, I will never forgive that or I won't be called the python king anymore. Gaziah, find everything you can about that prince for me and summon Hephzibah to me," he shouted and walked out of the throne room before Gaziah could even get up.

***

A man lying on the bed groaned in pain and shut his eyes tightly, clenching his hand in tight fists. He was sweating badly as three witches surrounded him and performing a spell on him. "How much longer?" Mary asked, her eyes were tired just as her voice, "I don't know how long I can hold on."

"The eternal fire is not a wound you just heal from, he was lucky I came when I did otherwise, he would have been a pile of ashes by now," a voice said behind them.

"You seem strong, perhaps you can help us heal him, it's been five days already and none of us have rested or even eaten," Melissa said.

The hooded woman smiled, "but I have already done my part, I saved your lives, the least you can do is be grateful."

"We are grateful but we really need a break, we have been fighting to keep him alive these past days," Merinda said.

"You should, he is your Lord isn't it?" the woman asked. "Besides, he brought this upon himself, I told him that practicing what you read in books can only weaken you. He would have been a lot stronger and possibly would have recovered from the internal wounds had he not been trying to possess the eternal fire by force, so this is his punishment. As long as you keep doing what you are doing, he would survive, but if you leave him, he can never make it on his own."

"What about you, are you going to let him die, I thought you needed him," Melissa confronted.

"Oh darling, I don't need him, I only need the demon throne which should have been mine by now."

"Why do you want the demon throne, you are not even a demon," Mary asked.

"I just need the power that comes with it. They would come a day I would need the strength of all demons, I am only securing my future now but that is going to prove difficult now. His absence from the demon palace have alerted every other demon clans and now they are all fighting for it."

"Prince Edward won't let them now would he, after all, he is the rightful heir to the throne," Merinda commented.

"He doesn't care about the throne but I am wondering how long that would be. If his heart is really as dark as I perceived then he would want that power, everybody wants power."

"That reminds them, I never got to ask you this before. You said something about Prince Edward's heart being dark, what does that mean," Melissa asked.

"It means that he has cheated death. When you die and happens to return back to your original body, darkness plays a role because before you can go back to your body, your soul would have to endure blistering cold. At that moment, the cold was doing only one thing, freezing your heart. If you successfully return to the living, those that matters to you won't anymore and the only thing you would care about is only the reason that brought you back. In prince Edward's part, his mate is the only one he cares about but even though it's like that, only his mind tells him to care about her, his heart feels nothing, not even for her."

Melissa frowned, not understanding why it could be like that. "But, he protected her that day."

"Like I said, his mind is telling him to protect her. To get his heart to feel for her again, she would need to break the ice and get him all warmed up once more. If she can't, one day, the taste for power will overshadow his mind and even her would mean nothing to him. That is why I am waiting for the demons to play a role, get him to care more about power and once he does, then I can present myself to him again, after all, he would aid me greatly more than your lord."

"He will never kill his son for you," Melissa screamed at her.

"Oh, just wait until I offer him a position he can't refuse," she smirked. "So if you wondering why I am not helping your Lord anymore, I don't waste powers where I won't benefit. Unless he can get up now and prove otherwise to me, then I will reconsider. Other than that, our business is done for now. Ciao my witches," she vanished right then and Melissa could feel the anger bobbling inside her.

"Sister, don't waste your time being angry at her, put together to fight her, we definitely cannot do anything to her," Merinda.

"I know, that is why she is still alive," Melissa gritted.

"About the things she said, how did she know all that? None of us knows what happens when we die, how could see give such detailed explanation and she sounded pretty convincing." Mary commented.

"She is sly, I am beginning not to believe everything she said," Melissa said.

"But you should sister. We all know that she is not a witch and she definitely is not a wolf or a vampire. I don't even know what she is but something about her gives me chills. I will rather stand by her side than against her, so I will advise that we should not get in her bad side," Merinda suggested.

Mary nodded, "Merinda is right sister, let's just concentrate in getting My Lord back to his feet and hope he reconnects with her. If we really want our coven back, he is our ticket and to defeat the vampire prince, she is his ticket. We all need each other."

Melissa sighed, "you are right, let's do this and hopefully he would be healed soon."

"Yes sister," they agreed and went back to healing Kaiden while praying that he starts responding soon.

Author's note
And last but not the least, this is Steven, our annoying alpha that turned a hero 👏 😊