Chapter seventy two

"Aliyah!" Irene and the rest yelled, waiting for her to be thrown back by the force of the fire but waited they did, however, Aliyah and Asher did not come out. "What just happened?" Irene asked, walking close to the fire and as she put her hand in it, she was thrown back forcefully that if it weren't for Rasmus jumping in at the right them to catch her, she would have landed on Kaiden's feet or even in front of the deranged. They both fell on the ground, crashing heavily.

"That is what I expected to happen," Idrissa said in shock as Malachi rushed to help them up.

"But why didn't it happen to Aliyha?" Maleeka asked the very question in everyones mind, even Kaiden was shocked as he never saw that happen.

Taking the cue, Sean ran out into the clearing, he had heard Irene screamed for Aliyah but from their position, they couldn't see the front of the palace so he doesn't know what had happened. Damien knew Kaiden would see him and to protect him, he rushed after him, causing Steven and Aton to join as well.

Kaiden was shocked to see them, at first he had thought four of his deranged had lost control but when he saw how they ran up to the palace and didn't attack, he knew they were still okay and he frowned. He was sure that every wolf has been infected, how come they were safe?

Sean ran into his tenth to shapeshift and put on some clothes, Steven did the same and when they walked out fully clothed, Aton and Damien followed suit. "What happened?" Sean asked Irene now, still holding Anita in his arms.

"She jumped into the fire," Genevieve answered.

"What?" Sean and Steven asked at the same time, "how possible, no one can pass through the fire, I know because I tried," Sean said.

"Aliyah did," Vertimon answered, "and now I am wondering if it's because she is his mate or something?" he glanced at his fellow demons to help him out but they shrugged, none of them had witnessed such a thing before so they don't know what to make of it.

***

Aliyah landed in front of the palace, the front door was right before her and she quickly checked herself and Asher for any burnt mark but they were okay. She couldn't believe that worked. She had seen in her dream last night that Asher could pass the fire, although in her dream, it had seemed he crawled into the fire himself and while trying to pull him back to avoid him getting hurt, she had grabbed onto his leg and her hand touched the fire and nothing happened.

She had woken up then to see that she was carrying Asher in her arms and the fact that Asher was still few weeks old and hasn't even reached the stage to crawl made her wonder if that was actually a dream or a revelation. However, she had been too scared to try since morning, not wanting to hurt Asher or herself. But desperate time calls for desperate measures. The only place Asher could be safe is inside the palace and besides, for what she planned doing, it is only right that she left him with his father and also get to say goodbye to him.

She heaved a deep sigh and hugged Asher closely as she pushed open the big door. The palace was as she remembered it, everything was intact and looking peaceful. She went up to her bedroom but Edward was not there and so she went to search for him in his private living room. He was also not there. She frowned, where else could he be sleeping if not in their bedroom? At that moment, she remembered that she had once shown her a throne room, now that he has a throne, there was a possibility he was there when the fight happened and so she found her way to the room.

The door was left ajar like something or someone has crashed on it and there were tiny pieces of glass scattered everywhere on the floor. Immediately she stepped into the room, she saw him. He was still in the attire he wore that night that she last saw him. Her eyes brimmed with tears as she rushed to him. Placing Asher beside him on the floor, she placed her head on his chest and wept.

His heartbeat was slow, beating once in a minute and she raised her head to look at him. He looked peaceful and there wasn't any wound on him. She reached up and caressed his smooth and fair face softly, sniffling as she did. "You promised to always be here, remember? You promised to always be by our side, but look at us, we are forced to live without you."

She waited but there was no movement from the man lying on the floor. Aliyah cried some more, her tears dropping on his chest. "Kaiden is attacking, all the wolves and nightwalkers have been turned, there is no hope to ever survive this or walk out of it alive, unless you wake up, unless you help us. Please Edward, can you hear me, can you open your eyes? Please," she sobbed. "I don't know what to do, I can't let everyone die, I will never live with myself if I do. I have to do something Edward, but I'm afraid if I do it, I won't be able to wait for you to wake up, I won't be here waiting when you do. What will you do then, will you kill the people I died to save?"

Asher whimpered softly and she left Edward to pick him up, she carried him in her arms, sitting beside Edward on the floor. "I don't know what else to do, without you I am the only hope. Also, even if you wake up, how can you heal the infected? At least you would see that it's my decision, my decision to save them and then you won't hurt them, right?"

She sighed and kissed Asher on the forehead, sniffling as she looked at him, "I'm sorry," she whispered and his eyes flashed blue, "I won't be here to watch you grow up but I'm sure you will get all the love you need, and plus the fact that your father would be with you, he would protect you. I am sorry but this is the only way to save our people, you will understand when you grow up right, and know that I didn't abandon you, right? I love Asher, I love you so much," she hugged him, her tears wetting his black hair.

She had always wondered what Irene meant by that she would die if she tried to save everyone, with Edward's healing speed, she would have healed as soon as she was cutting herself. But what Catherine said earlier, she finally figured it out, with a slow healing speed and loss of blood, that's how she won't survive. It was all starting to make sense.

She forced herself to stop crying and wiped her nose, she glanced at Edward and smiled softly, "you know, I only have one regret, not getting to hear you say you love me. I know you do, but it would have been sweet to hear you say it all the same." She sighed and placed Asher beside him as well, then she leaned forward and kissed Edward's cold lips. "I love you, Edward, I always have and I always will. If I can get to come alive again, even if it takes another two thousand years, I will still love you if I see you, I know that now." She sighed and caressed his face, tracing his brows with her fingertips, she leaned forward and placed her forehead on his, closing her eyes and remembering their times together, the time he was sweet to her and also threatening to kill her.

She smiled and opened her eyes, "I hope that when you wake up this time, you would be as you used to be, not the Edward I have come to know these past days, but the real you, the Edward that I fell for." She glanced at Asher, the boy was looking at her, however, he wasn't crying or even whimpering. She smiled and kissed his forehead once more, "look after him for me would you, he can be stubborn but he is really nice. What am I saying, you might grow up to be just like him," she chuckled and laid her head on Edward's chest.

After some minutes, she forced herself to get up and as she did, she picked a broken glass with her. With one last glance at her family, she sighed and her eyes became determined as she turned and walked away from the love of her life with only one thing in mind; to get it over and done with.