Chapter seventy five

Sean held onto Monica as a gust of wind left Edward, pushing past the witches and them as well. He closed his eyes and thought of Aliyah’s face, he could feel that this was the end. Edward would be breaking out of the witches hold really soon and would be massacring everyone. He couldn’t help but blame the High Howlers and High Chiefs, if they hadn’t rushed in killing Edward before, he wouldn’t have woken up to be heartless as he was now and perhaps, he would have understood that whatever Aliyah did, she did it to save her people and his.
With two giant strides, Edward smacked a witch out of the formation and the force broke the woman before she even landed on the ground.
“Quickly, close the space,” Irene yelled and the two witches standing at the sides hurriedly came closer and held hands. “Let’s raise a shield.” And with that, they all started chanting in an ancient language.
Edward growled and targeted another witch, this time, before his hand could touch her, a shield rose and he snarled in annoyance. He smashed at the shield and he could see it waver and so he kept smashing it. With five smashes, the shield broke and he clawed the head of the witch in front of him. The rest hurriedly closed the space as they all kept chanting, raising the shield once more. But this time, knowing that he could break it, Edward just went straight to smacking it with his giant hands.
“God,” Idrissa said, “he is taking them out one after the other and soon they won’t be any of them left.”
“What can we do?” Damien rushed to the man as he was putting on Malachi’s long jacket. The nightwalkers were giving the wolves their jackets to cover themselves with. “You are the demons, surely there must be something we can do.”
“The only thing you can do is run away from here and pray that he doesn’t find you,” Maleeka said in fear-stricken voice. “No demon is as strong as the royal beasts and I don’t need to remind you that the King is not just a royal beast but also the king and a vampire original. You see those witches, he would be killing them all in less than ten minutes and then he would be coming for us. We are dead, we are all dead.”
“Control yourself, Queen Maleeka,” Beruka said but it was clear from her voice that she was scared to.
Damien couldn’t believe his eyes as his gaze went back to the beast in the center of the witches that had dwindled to almost half compared to the number they were when they first arrived.
“King Edward!” Hephzibah yelled as her eyes turned black and with that, Edward stilled as his own eyes turned black as well.
“What is happening?” Vertimon asked.
“I don’t know,” Idrissa shook his head as everyone watched them. The witches were still chanting their spell with their eyes closed since they don’t know who he would be killing next. Whereas, Edward and Hephzibah were still, their eyes pitch black.
In Edward’s mind, he heard Hephzibah’s voice, “Look at what you are doing and how you would leave this world when you are done.” With that, a scene started playing in his mind. He was standing in the middle of what should have been a forest but was nothing but a pile of black ashes. He saw himself kneeling as the fire quenched and he was wailing uncontrollably.
“Do you know why you wail like that?” Hephzibah asked but the man said nothing, however he was wondering why he should be crying like that if he got what he wanted. “Let me take it back for you and show you what you found out.” With that, the scene changed and Edward saw that amidst torching the whole place, he had set his palace on fire as well. “Do you know why setting your palace on fire affected you? It was because in your rage you have killed and burned the second most-dearest person to you. A little baby that has been left in your care by his own mother, thinking that he would be protected by you. However, you killed him and also burned the body of your mate, meaning that you can’t even give her a good burial.”
Having heard what Hephzibah said, everyone gasped and with the sorrowful look on Edward’s blank face, it was clear that he was seeing the things she said. “How is she doing that?” Sean asked but no one answered.
“Do I lie, King Edward, or did you really see a baby when you woke up in your palace?” when she asked that, the scene changed to Edward’s memory and he remembered that he had seen a baby sleeping by his side when he woke up but he had been more preoccupied in finding his mother and knowing what happened to her that made her mating mark on his neck hurt painfully.
“You killed him, Edward. You killed your son, your only legacy, that was why you were wailing. Because the only person that would have helped you heal from losing your mate was burned by you and not only was he burned by you, you know he can’t reincarnate because you burnt his soul with your Eternal fire. Do you want that, Edward? Can you picture meeting your mate when you eventually stab your yourself to death a thousand years later with the tree of death? Can you picture the look in her eyes when she sees you, knowing that you killed her son, a son that she entrusted to you with love?”
The image played in his mind, Aliyah crying with a heart wrenching look of pain in her eyes and demanding to have nothing to do with him again. He could see that he didn’t blame her, ‘cause even he couldn’t forgive himself. “Is that the way you want to live the rest of your life, King Edward?”
“Oh God,” Maleeka whispered seeing that the man was slowly returning to his normal size. His torn clothes the only proof of the hideous creature he had taken. “It’s working.”
Everyone watched in shock as a tear trailed down Edward cheek and they heard Hephzibah’s voice, “reconsider, King Edward, for controlling your anger would save not only the world but your son, including yourself.” The last image that played in Edward’s mind was the one of Aliyah smiling as she stood in front of the fighting wolves and demon rulers before she slit her wrist with a broken glass. “It was her choice, she wanted to save her people and yours. Rather than make her sacrifice in vain, you should take her body and give her the burial worthy of a queen, your Queen.” With those words, Edward heard the last wall of ice in his heart shatter into a gazillion pieces.
At that moment, Hephzibah gasped, her eyes returning back to normal as she released Edward from his trance. Her strength failed her that she almost collapsed but was caught by the witches closest to her. Everyone watched as her already white hair turned whiter including her brows and she seemed to have aged a hundred or so years instantly. The formation had fallen and everyone feared what Edward’s decision would be.
Thinking about everything she heard Hephzibah said, Irene started seeing the holes in her own vision. She had thought Edward cried because Aliyah was dead, but it turned out that it was because he had killed his son. She shook her head at how everything played, Aliyah could have left Asher with them outside, but she fought to get him inside, it all showed that everything was paving to work with the vision and if it wasn’t for Hephzibah’s intervention, it would have happened or it still would as Edward was still standing in his spot, despite the fact his eyes had returned to a fiery blue and that he was surrounded by blue flame which meant that his fire has returned.
Everyone watched Edward, waiting to see his action. However, all the man did was quenching his fire and turning around to walk up to Aliyah. He knelt beside her and picked her up, hugging her to himself and surprised everyone by screaming. A loud and painful scream. The onlookers felt the tears cloud their own visions as they watched the man. Irene wiped away her tears and ran into the palace, emerging minutes later with Asher in her arms.
She slowly walked up to Edward and kneeling beside him, she placed the baby on Aliyah’s body. Edward lifted his head from Aliyah’s neck where he was sobbing and looked at his son. The boy was watching him with his brown eyes, he wasn’t crying and it almost seemed like he understood everything that was happening. Edward watched him and then his shaking hand reached forward and caressed his little face. He sniffled and looked up, his gaze going to a particular hilltop and he slowly put Aliyah down, stood up, and flew in the sky.
“Yes,” Steven shouted happily, wiping off the tears from his eyes as everyone knew where he was going and what he was planning to do.