Chapter fifty seven

“Alpha,” a young warrior ran to meet Alan and Aton who were in the training ground just to distract themselves from what happened last night as they watched the wolves training. Seeing the boy approaching them, Alan frowned but the boy quickly went on his knees on approaching them. “Alpha,” he panted, “High Howlers are here.”
“What?” Aton asked, sharing a look with Alan, “what happened?”
“They just showed up, Beta, and they are demanding to see Alpha,” the boy answered.
Alan sighed and with a curt nod, he said, “let’s go.” They left the training ground and Sean watched them leave, he had heard the boy’s report and for some reason, he could feel it in his gut that they are here for Aliyah and her healing abilities. After all, everyone knows how hard Alpha Damien have been searching for the antidote to heal the wolves and how he had been bothering and tasking Catherine to provide the antidote.
“You think they are here for Aliyah?” a voice asked and he turned to see Eric walking up to him. “I overheard them too,” he winked.
Sean shrugged, “ever since the fight at the Black wind pack, no one have seen or heard from them. If they are here now, then there is only one reason for it. I am sure that somehow, they must have known about her abilities to heal the deranged. After all, the news has travelled to nearby packs, what do you expect.”
Eric nodded. “You know, I was wondering how long it would take for her to heal everyone in the dungeon, I mean, everyone has been expecting and waiting for it. However, she only went to the dungeon to heal Elder Mattew and then these whole shenanigans happened. And now, she has not even stepped out of her room.”
Sean sighed but said nothing as he watched Alan and his father’s leaving backs.
“Hey, is it true?” Eric inquired.
“Is what true?” Sean asked without glancing at him.
“That her mate is now the demon king?”
Glancing at him, Sean frowned, “since when did we become close confidantes?”
Eric rolled his eyes, “since we were born with our birth rights.”
“Hmm, I see, as far as I am concerned, we can’t stand each other, we never did. So, what’s different now?”
“Oh come on, I used to think you were after my girl, what did you expect me to do?”
Glancing at him, Sean stared at him for some seconds before walking away without saying anything.
“Hey, we can’t leave, training is still on.” Eric yelled at his leaving back.
“I think I am beginning to miss the time you were stuck as a rogue,” he yelled back.
“I was never a rogue, I just…was stuck in my wolf form, that’s all.”
Ignoring him, Sean went over to the alpha’s house and went straight to Aliyah’s room, nodding to the greetings of the serving omegas. He paused in front of the door and knocked but no answer came. Right then, he heard the sound of a door opening before hearing someone calling for him from above. “It’s me, Luna,” he answered.
“What happened, I thought you are supposed to be conducting the training at this hour,” Scarlet asked.
“I was, Luna, but I decided to check on Aliyah. No one has seen her all morning.”
Scarlet chuckled, “it’s still early Sean, she probably could still be sleeping.”
“Yeah, you are right Luna, I guess I am just worried with all that is happening.”
“I heard Steven left this morning.”
“Yes. Alpha Ethan wanted to check on the pack after being away for some time and Steven had to tag along as the future alpha.”
“Yes, everyone needs to be in their pack with all that is happening right now.” Scarlet said and soon, Sean heard footsteps descending on the stairs. A while later, she appeared on the hallway and smiled at him, carrying a sleeping Asher. Alphas always live in mini mansions with enough rooms to accommodate the High Howlers whenever they come visiting a pack with only the High alpha’s mansion the biggest that it can contain all alphas at a time.
“You are with Asher.”
“Yes, Aliyah brought him to me few hours ago. I guess she needed to be alone with all that is happening,” she said and paused in front of him.
“Yeah,” Sean shrugged. “Well, I better return to the training ground then.”
“Sean,” Scarlet called before he left and he turned back to her. “What do you think about all these?”
“Luna,” Sean sighed, “I…” he opened his mouth to speak but he doesn’t really know what to say and so at the end, he shook his head. “I guess we can just wait and see.”
“Yes, wait and see,” the woman smiled.
“I will go now, Luna,” he bowed softly and turned to leave. He didn’t want to tell her about the High Howlers visit, after all, if the alpha hasn’t told her with the mind link, it could mean he doesn’t want her to know. He walked out of the mansion but he didn’t go back to the training ground and went straight to the conference room. He must know why the High Howlers visited and so early in the morning.
***
Edward appeared in his throne room and staggered to his throne. Nearly fifty innocent humans had lost their lives in his hands just that morning and he wondered how many more would be lost, after all, he hasn’t achieved his aim and he was always left very thirsty whenever he fell out of his throne and can only continue with the fight when he is filled up again. He doesn’t understand what was happening nor why it was taking so long. He could feel his strength draining faster after each battle and at the moment, it was already too hard to carry his legs.
He slumped on the throne and closed his eyes, wondering if he should stop and continue another day but the growing headache was becoming unbearable. He fears that if he doesn’t merge the powers soon enough, his nightwalker’s part would force him to go into slumber and he wonders how long he would sleep should that happen. The last thing he wants is to leave Aliyah and Asher alone in this world for hundreds of years. He knows the demons won’t dare hurt her now but Kaiden is still on the loose, he can’t lose consciousness with him still roaming around in the earth.
He gulped and wiped away the blood on his lips. He looked filthy; he knows that. His last feeding was the roughest he had ever had and even the smell of the blood that coated his body was irritating him rather than bringing him calm. However, he can’t bring himself to freshen up now, he can hardly stand for longer than five seconds without collapsing and forcing himself up again. He found himself wishing Rasmus was around, at least if he were, he wouldn’t have to be journeying to the human realm whenever he needs to feed. But then again, the sun was rising and Rasmus can’t travel under the sun.
He knew that he needs help but he didn’t want to summon for anyone, he doesn’t want anyone to see his weak state and right now, he was happy that the cat saliva was masking his mating mark which means that Aliyah can’t sense or feel him, which is a good thing now. He vividly remembers the cat queen said it would wash away today or tomorrow, that means he only has a few hours to put himself together.
Thinking to that, he blew out air from his mouth and clenched his fists on the throne arms, summoning his powers to the surface and soon, he was enveloped by the blue ball of flame. This time, he felt a burning pain in his heart and screamed in pain. His eyes kept flicking between red and blue in nanoseconds and veins popped on his necks, forehead and hands. At last, he could feel the blue and red mixing in his eyes, combining to become one. However, right at that time, the blue seemed to have swallowed the red and a bust of blue flame flew away from him, shattering windows and he was thrown away from his throne. He crashed on the ceiling and fell hard on the floor that he even heard his bones breaking.
Edward groaned and struggled on the floor. His body was burning like he was lit on fire and he could see the smokes reeking out of his body. Turns out, he was burning himself and he can’t stop, even though he tried. “No,” he whispered, trying to stop the fire but he couldn’t. He could feel the internal flame consuming him inside and the pain was so unbearable that it was hard for him to focus on what to do.
At that moment, he heard a voice he had heard only once —the night he saved Aliyah from Kaiden. “My, my, prince Edward, or should I say King Edward? I never thought I will see the day,” the woman chuckled, standing by the window with her hood covering her face that only her smiling mouth and chin could be seen.