Chapter sixty

To say that Damien attitude shocked everyone was an understatement compared to the words that left his mouth. Alan glanced from the older man to the baby boy in his mate’s arms and back to the older man. Surprisingly, Asher had stopped crying when Damien made his claim and to top it up, his eyes started shining blue light just like Damien’s.
“And here I was, often bothered why I don’t feel this connection with my first or any of my sons, turns out that the next High Alpha won’t be from my bloodline,” Damien whispered.
“Alpha, what are you saying?” an elder asked, standing up, “for powers to be passed down from alphas, it has to be of the same bloodline. No history spoke of an alpha having his successor from another wolf that has no blood link to him. Surely, you must be mistaken, don’t you think?”
“I am not just the alpha of a pack, Elder Luke, I am the alpha that creates alphas. I can make any wolf an alpha if I as much as wishes it, so I don’t think what you said imply to me. However, I must say that the title of High Alpha has been passed down in my generation for centuries. But there is one secret I have hidden from everyone but my Luna. None of my sons gave me the urge of energy I feel now looking at this boy. I have always known that something was wrong, that something was missing but I had thought they would just grow into it. But like you all know, my youngest son is fifty years old and yet, nothing. However, looking at this boy now, feeling his presence…I know that I have found what have always been missing.”
“But alpha, he is the blood of the nightwalker’s, is our High alpha going to share a bloodline with the nightwalkers? Doesn’t that mean he would be ruling the two clans and thereby dismiss any future threat of war?” An elder inquired.
“Make that three clans,” Elder Luke said, “for he is the son of the demon king which makes him the demon prince. Wouldn’t it all mean that he is going to rule the world, not like his father who is doing by his strength alone but because he is connected to each clan and share a part of their forms in him. If that is all true, wouldn’t that make what the witch Melissa told us true and all we have believed to be true right now false?”
When Elder Luke dropped that bomb, everyone woke up from their thoughts and the height of the manner begins to make a meaning to all of them.
“But the witch Melissa is a liar, she works for the previous demon king, she can’t possible have told us the truth. Besides, the Leader of the Westwood coven who happens to be a pure blood witch told us so,” Malachi voiced this time. He hates to think of what Melissa said as the truth because truth be told, he likes the peace with the night howlers and the last thing he wants now is to try and kill Edward the second time, not that he would succeed this time after all.
“I think we all need to calm down, perhaps we are looking at this from the wrong view,” Alan suggested, he really don’t want to consider his daughter a fugitive once more nor lose the chance to spend time with his grandson he has come to love so much. “The last thing we would want is making another mistake out of impulsiveness.”
“That is what I want to say,” the first elder that had talked about making the same mistake the very first time spoke up. “In all we do, we must understand that prince-I mean King Edward is not just the vampire original anymore, he is the demon king and if we try to kill him —not that we could— we will have the demons waging war on us and I must remind us that we can never win against them, the witches will always be quick to help them more than us. I think we all know a little of the demon history, no matter how unhappy they might be with their king, they would still give up their life trying to protect him. Now let’s talk about King Edward, we all know that none of us can get as much as ten feet close to him without being burnt to ashes if he as much as wishes.”
“The elder spoke wisely,” a high chief spoke. “No matter how we think of all this, we should never forget who we would be up against and if you ask me, I will suggest we focus on achieving what we came here for and let future pave its own path.”
There was a silent agreement and while Damien refrained from going to Asher, he didn’t stop looking at him neither did the little boy. “You all spoke wisely,” he said, “and I will suggest that Alpha Alan hurry and bring his daughter to us.” He then glanced at Alan.
At the mention of that, everyone seemed to recall Scarlet’s first concern when she joined them, however, before they could address it, Alan felt Aliyah’s mind link and quickly contacted her with it, telling her to meet him in the hall and not bothering to ask where she must have gone. “Aliyah is on her way to meet us,” he announced and got everyone staring at him, “I have just ordered her to do so.”
“But…she is not in the pack, I have searched for her before coming here,” Scarlet revealed.
“I know, but she is now, I guess she just got back from wherever she may have gone to.” And through to his words, Aliyah came barging into the hall with Steven on her tail and she paused on her footsteps when she saw the full room. Upon sensing her presence, Asher resumed his cry and she was forced to take him from her mother before glancing at the faces of the men in the room, staring back at her.
“What is going on here?” she asked at last, her voice was soft but firm. She could vividly remember that the last time there was this kind of meeting, Edward and her were immediately classified outsiders with them teaming up to kill him, thereby rendering her to months of pain and heartbreak. Now seeing them like that now, she found herself wondering what could be up their sleeves this time.
“Aliyah, the High Howlers and the High Chiefs wants to speak with you,” Alan announced.
“Edward has not done anything, he has not caused any trouble besides wanting to help and solve our issue. I know he is not the same as he used to be but he is still my mate and I love him. And the last thing I would tolerate is you lot determining who gets to live and who dies,” she said in one breath, never stopping to pause even for a second.
“What, goodness child, you misunderstood us,” a female high chief said, “the last thing we want is wage war against Prince Edward —not that we could now— and then having history repeat itself.”
Aliyah was shocked hearing that. She glanced from one face to the other and furrowed her brows, “you don’t want to kill Edward?”
“Of course not, besides, even if we want, we can’t. The man is the Demon King,” Elder Luke said.
Frowning, Aliyah asked, “then what do you want, what is the purpose of this gathering?”
“You must understand that this meeting wasn’t planned neither was it arranged but was purely coincidental. We have come to ask you for a favor and it appears that the High chiefs have come for the same favor and now together, we want to ask you,” Damien said and it was obvious that he was trying really hard to stop from staring at Asher which Aliyah noticed but couldn’t make a reason out of it.
“What favor?”
“We need your help to heal our infected,” Malachi revealed, “we are losing more by the day and if it continues at this rate, then very soon, they won’t be anyone free from the infection.”
Before she could speak, Damien said, “we understand from your father that you don’t know how yet but perhaps if you let us ponder over it, we can be able to figure out how?”
“I know how,” she suddenly said, relieving everyone and a smile was seen here and there as it was obvious that their visit wasn’t a waste. “But I’m not sure I can help,” she added, causing another fit of commotion, “it comes with a great deal to lose and with that, an unescapable danger.”