Chapter fifty-two

“No,” Vertimon cried as he climbed out of the hole and saw the snake palace enveloped in blue flame and innocent young snakes were running out and screaming. “No,” He yelled and his eyes turned bright yellow as he slowly rose midair. A big whooshing sound was heard and before long, water was flowing towards them at rapid speed, passing through the forest and breaking down trees with its force. It splashed against the snake palace and soon enveloped it like a ball, keeping the blue fire away and quenching the one inside. “Hurry up and stop him, I can’t hold on like this forever,” he yelled.
Hearing that, his entourage quickly started attacking Edward and with their attacks, he lost his focus on the palace to fade them off. His blows were brutal but the men and women were not giving up, using the element of water to their advantage by quenching any fire that he started. Seeing that only made Edward angrier as he could see he can’t get through to them. He quickly closed his eyes and in a second, he was enveloped in a ball of fire like shield, similar to how he was earlier this night before the fight.
“What is he doing?” Maleeka asked.
“Is he trying to burn himself?” Beruka wondered aloud.
“Oh no,” Irene gasped seeing what was happening and that got her the stares of her companions. Without looking at them, she explained, “Edward is trying to force awake his nightwalker’s power.”
“What do you mean? If he can do that, why haven’t he done it all along?” Alan asked.
“He wasn’t strong enough,” she answered.
“And right now, he had killed a few handfuls of snake and cat demons, meaning he had gotten more energy in his fire, right?” Rasmus asked, his eyes not leaving the man he had dedicated his life to serve as long as he breathes. He still can’t believe how the man had changed from what he used to be and had become an entirely different person.
“Sadly, yes,” Irene confirmed. “And if he is able to do that now…” she shook her head and turned to Alan, “we have to go to them, if they can just release Aliyah and Asher, he can be stopped. I am sure Aliyah can speak to him, I am sure she can stop him.”
Hearing that, Alan nodded and they jumped out of their hiding spots. Sean, Steven and Aton took their wolf forms while Alan, Rasmus and Irene led them to the palace that was already in chaos.
“The wolves? What on earth are they doing here?” Beruka asked as her eyes landed on them in disgust.
“You need to listen to me,” Irene began, “release his family, it’s the only thing that is going to stop him.”
“Like hell,” Beruka rolled her eyes.
“And why should we listen to you, witch? I can’t believe you let yourself stand so low to serve them,” Maleeka said.
“Yes I am a witch, but not just a witch. I am a pure blood witch and I am telling you that if Edward regains his nightwalker’s powers tonight, no one would walk out of here alive.”
“Listen to her, I can’t hold on much longer and neither can my people distract him enough,” Vertimon yelled while fighting to keep the water ball on the palace.
“No, we will do no such thing,” Idrissa yelled, finally waking up from unconsciousness and getting on his feet. “He is not fit to be our king.”
“Are you out of your mind Idrissa, can’t you see that I am the one keeping your palace from burning?” Vertimon asked.
“All I am asking is for you to hold on just a little longer, I will get him to submit,” He said and his eyes dilated into single black lines as white scales started appearing on his body before he finally took his shape of a really big white python. He opened his mouth and started sucking in a lot of air. The force was too much that Vertimon people trying to break Edward’s fire shield flew away to save themselves from being sucked in.
The pressure started hitting Edward as his ball of fire started moving towards the giant python’s agape mouth. His eyes opened and it was a mixture of red and blue. Seeing the python’s intent, he tried to hold his ground, to stop himself from being swallowed. However, Gaziah suddenly appeared behind him and with a powerful kick, sent him flying into the python’s mouth. Idrissa closed his mouth immediately with Edward secured inside.
“He did it, he actually did it,” Vertimon said in wonder, finally letting go of the ball of water that immediately flushed away as quickly as it had come. Gaziah appeared in front of Idrissa and smiled, finally, they have gotten their revenge on Edward for forcefully killing some of them months ago and leaving with the corpse of one.
“I can’t believe it,” Maleeka said, “is he really dead?”
“Irene,” Alan asked, staring at the gigantic python in fear. He didn’t want to believe that the mighty Edward was killed just like that, even if the scene was pointing it to him. What would he tell Aliyah when they finally have her back, that she has lost her mate again?
“It can’t be,” Irene shook her head, “it’s not po…” she didn’t finish her sentence as the giant python started shaking uncontrollably.
“My King,” Gaziah yelled, not knowing what to do or how he can help. Smokes started sipping out of the python’s mouth and its reptile eyes revealed the fear it was passing through.
“Spit him out, Idrissa,” Vertimon yelled, “spit him out before he consumes you.”
Hearing that, Idrissa quickly opened his mouth and Edward flew out. His blue eyes locked on the man and in anger, he rushed him immediately.
“No!” Gaziah yelled and turned into a black python, lunging himself at Edward who quickly evaded his attack and grabbed the python by the neck, intending to do what he does best.
“Don’t even try it!” Beruka yelled and raised her tails and in one of them, Asher was tied on it. “Kill him and your son dies.”
Edward let go of Gaziah and the black python tumbled on the ground heavily. He slowly landed in front of Beruka, his eyes a fiery blue light. “Give him to me,” he said, his voice so calm amidst all the chaos he was causing.
“Give up the throne,” Beruka said. “You are not fit to be our king.”
“And if I refuse?”
“Both your son and mate dies,” she said and with that, she revealed another tail of hers that had an unconscious Aliyah tied up. “I am a woman of my word and you should know by now. And before you think this is the rat demon’s at work, take a look at the mating mark on her neck.”
Edward watched Aliyah, he doesn’t understand, the mark clearly looks like his but he can’t sense her in trouble. It was almost like the time he was holding the rat demon that projected her, he still can’t feel her. “Don’t lie to me, that is not my mate.”
Beruka chuckled, “really, then would you like to burn her? I will gladly watch,” she smiled sinisterly and brought her tail with Aliyah a little closer to him.
“Edward,” Irene yelled and he turned to her. “It’s Aliyah,” she announced.
“I can’t feel her,” he said.
“That’s because the cat demon’s spell masked the mating mark. None of you can feel each other until the spell washes away,” she explained.
“Cat female’s saliva,” Edward concurred and it all finally made sense, why he has not felt her and also didn’t notice her being taken away. It was the reason everything happened in the first place. His eyes went straight to Maleeka who smirked at him before he turned back to Beruka. “You would really let them free?”
“Like I said, I am a woman of my words.”
Edward smiled faintly. “What makes you think I won’t come back for the throne. The eternal fire resides in me.”
“Oh, that is what you don’t know about demons, darling. If you reject the throne honestly from your heart, the fire would go away and seek for another strong host. You may be pretending not to want the throne, but as long as you use the fire and enjoy the power it brings, you are bonded to the throne. But if you reject it and reject it honestly, it would leave. However, that doesn’t mean you won’t still be a demon, you just won’t be the demon king. So what is it going to be, the demon throne or the family you have always wanted.”
Everyone and everywhere was silent as Edward’s answer was anticipated. Vertimon couldn’t believe that they were actually winning against him and that Idrissa’s plan could work. Everyone waited in batted breaths for Edward to give up the throne, after all, that is what a logical male mate would do.
Edward glanced at Aliyah and Asher and his gaze went to the snake palace before going back to Beruka. “You underestimate me,” and with that, the snake palace was sent ablaze with blue flame.

Author's note

Do remember that you can always read ahead in other sites like Goodnovel, Bravonovel, Dreame, Novelcat, Joyread and Bravonovel. This book is completed there. So feel free to read ahead if you can't wait for updates here 😊