Chapter thirty eight

Aliyah sobbed as Irene placed her son in her arms, she brought the little one's face to hers and kissed his cheek, rubbing her tears on his chubby cheek. "He is beautiful," she whispered, staring at him. At that moment, the baby opened his eyes and she gasped, his eyes weren't blue like hers or Edward's but was golden brown. She looked up at Irene who shrugged, knowing what she wanted to ask. Aliyah's gaze went back to her son's face, she has always imagined him with blue eyes, after all, she and Edward both has blue eyes. As if knowing what was going on in her mind, the baby's eyes turned midnight blue like Edward's. "Irene," she gasped in shock, "what just happened?"

Irene was also at shock at what happened, "his eyes, it just changed to blue."

To shock the women some more, the baby's eyes turned red then, red as the mating mark on Aliyah's neck that the color had returned now that Edward has renewed it. "Irene, are you seeing this?" Aliyah was afraid, how could her baby who is only five days old according to Irene be able to change his eye colors? Her heart was beating loudly in her chest and she wanted answers, however, Edward was not around and she wondered if he would even have answers for her.

"Wait, I see what is happening here," Irene said, her voice filled with excitement and wonder, "he is recovering Aliyah. Being held by you helped him recover his lost powers. I have been treating him since he came into this world but his treatment has been slow and now, just you holding him brought back his powers. I was right, you both are connected, one cannot live without the other. But I had thought with the cutting of the umbilical cord will disconnect the bond but it's still there and I think it would be for some time. Eventually it would cut off but not so soon, I didn't think about it."

"So, what you are trying to say is that..."

"The golden-brown eyes he has had for the past five days is the eye color connected to his demon powers. The blue eyes, is connected to his alpha powers, and the red eyes is connected to his nightwalker's powers. Aliyah, your son is healthy and healed now that you are. Edward would be so happy and possibly will finally smile."

Aliyah's happy face turned into a frown hearing what she said at the end, "possibly smile? What do you mean by that? Sean mentioned that too when he came to see me. Is there something I don't know?"

Irene sighed, "ever since Edward came back, he has not been himself."

"What, is he suffering from something?"

"I don't know but one thing I know is that he came back stronger than he ever was and also, he is cold to everyone, everyone but you. He almost killed me the other day."

"Killed you? That is impossible, he loves you."

Irene smiled sadly, "not anymore."

"That is impossible," Aliyah repeated. "Edward will never hurt you."

"Aliyah, there is something that woman said that night that I can't get out of my head. She had said, 'finally, your heart is as black as mine, courtesy of cheating death,' I think Edward paid a heavy price to be here and now we are all going to reap from it."

"You lost me Irene."

"First of all, you should know that Edward has the eternal fire, the demon fire. The one I told is so strong that it can burn a soul?" When Aliyah nodded, Irene continued, "technically, possessing that power made him the rightful demon king."

"Yes," Aliyah suddenly said, her eyes imitating the fear she felt, "the demon king is Edward's brother."

"What, what are you saying?" Irene frowned.

"The first prince from the story you told me. The prince that had asked the maiden to set Edward up so that Princess Mariah will call of their engagement and for their father to take the throne from him."

"Aliyah, he died, remember, by Edward's sword."

"Yes, he died but what if he had found a way to come back, just like I came back."

Irene's frown kept getting deeper and deeper, "it doesn't make sense, how could he come back and then be a demon? I saw him that night in my cottage remember, and I saw him that night that Edward came back, he is a demon true and true, a demon with a touch of witchcraft."

"I was a human, weren't I? But I was born as a werewolf."

"Your case is different Aliyah, goddess Selene played a huge role on you because you are the instigator of this whole story. Why on earth would she bring back the very person that ruined your love story?"

"Someone else must have helped him then. I know what I am saying, I saw him and he shared similarities with Edward. Let's not forget the part that he admitted it to me himself. He is prince Kaiden, the first prince and he has come to get back at Edward for taking his title as the crowned prince."

"So you are telling me that this whole fight is because of the title 'crown prince,' for a kingdom that doesn't exist anymore?"

"That and something more, something tells me that Edward may have done something else to him, something else unforgiving. But believe me when I say that this fight is about two brothers."

Irene nodded as she thought about it, "you know, it would make sense if it's like that, but what else do you think Edward has done to him and also, who could have brought him back to life?"

"My guess now is that woman."

"No, no, no, have you forgotten? She said in the human realm that night that she doesn't work for the demon king."

"If she doesn't work for him, then maybe he works for her?" Aliyah suggested.

The door opening distracted the two women and they both turned to the door to see Edward. He was dressed in black turtleneck and blank pants with black long coat, just the way he has been dressing of recent. "Out," he ordered and Irene knew he was speaking to her and quickly turned and left the room.

Aliyah frowned at that, he has never talked to Irene like that before in her presence, she watched him as he walked over to her. There was nothing different from him apart from the fact that his eyes were sharper now and colder than the first time she met him. His midnight blue eyes almost looked icy and she could swear with her life that his eyes were never like that. "What happened?"

"What?" he asked, his eyes going to the baby in her arms, "he has recovered them."

"What?" she asked, forgetting what she was talking about earlier and looking at their son, "he has recovered what?"

"His powers," he whispered, "I can see them."

The way he said that, made Aliyah to glance at him sharply, "you can see them?"

"I can see his soul and so I can see the powers," he sighed and looked at Aliyah, "there is going to be a fight in future."

"What fight?"

"They will seek dominance, they are not coexisting. Each has a spot and the more he grow, so will they and someday, they will seek dominance, to be the main power and the one to control the body."

"What?" Aliyah couldn't believe her ears as she stared at her son who was now asleep in her arms, "but why would it be so, he is born as a part of each, they don't need to control him, he would be the one to control them."

"That is why he would have us, we would teach him to control them. Don't worry," he leaned forward and caressed her cheek, "he will have nothing to fear as long as he has us, I promise you."

Meeting with his icy gaze, she sighed and nodded, "we will protect him."

"Yes we will. Now, Irene told me you already have a name for him, can I hear it?"

Smiling, Aliyah's gaze went back to her sleeping son, "Asher, my prince Asher."

"I like it," Edward said and kissed her forehead, "it's beautiful."

Author's note

Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas everyone and I wish you a prosperous new year. And to celebrate the Christmas, I will give you an additional update. Yay!!!