Chapter seventy three

Kaiden waited and when there was no sign of Aliyah, he growled in annoyance and with a wave of his hand, the deranged started running into the space in full speed.
Vertimon sighed and shook his head, “I guess, no matter what she is planning, we won’t stand idle by and watch ourselves getting killed now would we?” he asked.
Malachi snarled just as Damien growled and grey furs started appearing on his face as his eyes flashed blue. He soon turned, shredded clothes falling beside him and he howled. Aton, Sean and Steven responded to the howl by shifting as well as Sean placed Anita back in his tent. Gerald wanted to shift but Steven shook his big black head at him, telling him in the mind link to not join the fight.
Maleeka giggled and leapt in the air, her long hair growing longer as she flung it at Kaiden. Kaiden grabbed the hair and he watched as it curled on his arm and the more it curled, the tighter it became. He grunted in pain, trying to detangle the hair from his arm but it was to no avail and then Idrissa turned into a gigantic white snake, poisoning every wolf he bit to stone that they froze at the spot. His target was Kaiden and Kaiden could see it as the white python was poisoning its way to him.
“A little help, Melissa,” he growled and the witch sprang in action, muttering a spell in Latin until Maleeka’s black hair caught fire. Maleeka hissed and withdrew her hair immediately, her eyes a mixture of green and black as they landed on Melissa in annoyance.
“You stupid witch,” she growled and rushed her, leaping on the ground like a human cat. However, before she could get to her, Melissa had produced a shield that protected her and her sisters with Kaiden. Maleeka snarled, her long black claws clawing on the shield but it was very solid to touch. “Do something, witch,” she turned and growled at Irene, it was obvious from her face and voice that she was really mad.
Irene started muttering her own spell, trying to put down the shield and Mary and Merinda had to join Melissa to make sure that it doesn’t fall. Kaiden growled at Irene, his yellow eyes lurked on her and soon, wolves and Nightwalkers started rushing towards her and that was when Malachi and the rest of the high chiefs jumped into action to protect her.
Steven jumped and landed on a nightwalker, biting off the head as his eyes shone blue. Soon, the once black soil was turning red and yet it doesn’t look like they were trying. The number of the still deranged wolves and nightwalkers was alarming no matter how many they killed and it doesn’t help if Kaiden kept raising the ones that still have their heads attached.
Everyone was lost in the fight as they were outnumbered two thousand to one. It wasn’t a fair fight and even though the demon rulers are trying their best, they were still at the losing team. So many time they were tempted to call for backups but remembering what Kaiden said and seeing what he did to the wolves and nightwalkers, they didn’t want that for any of their people.
Aliyah walked out of the fire at that moment and she couldn’t believe her eyes. Gerald was tackling a wolf that had jumped up behind Irene who was lost in her spell and even though he was not in his wolf form, it was clear that the deranged wolf was weaker and could possibly be a boy that found his wolf that very year.
The bright moonlight made it possible to see everything that was happening and the space the demon rulers had created was big enough that it contained almost all the fighters but still more wolves and nightwalkers kept running out of the woods. Aliyah saw how innocent wolves and nightwalkers were falling and it brought tears to her eyes, they didn’t have to die, no one has to die. They didn’t ask for anything like this, they didn’t ask to be used.
And so wiping off her tears, her eyes becoming determined, she stepped forward and on seeing her, Kaiden smiled. However, his smile didn’t last for long when he saw that she was empty handed. He instantly knew that she had left Asher inside the palace. He growled in annoyance, how is he going to fulfil his promise to the dark woman?
He quickly called the attention of the wolves and they all abandoned their fight with the others and started rushing towards her. Aliyah smiled softly, however, she knew that if she let them bite her, she would be dead before the blood would get to all of them, plus the fact she would be bitten to beyond recognition. She glanced at Vertimon then and said, “I need your help.”
The man frowned, not understanding what she meant as Sean and the rest circled her, fighting off the deranged no matter how hard they tried to pass their formation and get to Aliyah. “What do you need from me?” Vertimon asked, taking the protection others were offering.
“I need you to control the blood in me like you control your waters,” Aliyah said.
Vertimon frowned, “do you realize what you are asking of me? You would die.”
“Yes, I know. But my blood can heal them, my blood would end this fight. No one else has to die, I can save the ones remaining and then you all can tackle Kaiden. With the deranged out of the way, he would be a piece of cake for you all.”
Vertimon shook his head, “you don’t understand. I may have only spent a little time with your mate but it was enough to tell me that he is very protective of you. If you die now and he wakes up whenever it would be, he would be coming for my head.”
“No he won’t, trust me. Please, I have to save them, I can’t let them die. I may not be an alpha but the blood is still in me and the number one rule for every alpha is that an alpha must always protect. Better one than all.”
“But that is the thing Aliyah, the one is more important than the all.”
“No, every life is important, everybody wants to live. I can’t take that from them just to save myself and right now, only you can help me. Please,” and with that, she revealed the broken glass and quickly slit her wrist before Vertimon could stop her. And looking at him with a smile, she slit the second one. “Collect it and help me make it rain, please.”
“It’s the only way, Vertimon,” Beruka said, yanking off the head of a nightwalker, “they are innocent and I kind of feel bad killing them. It’s him I want,” her orange eyes landed on Kaiden and she snarled.
Vertimon sighed and closed his eyes, when he opened them, he channeled his hand on Aliyah. Aliyah watched as her blood flow and started forming a big red ball. The more the drops leave her body, the weaker she became and in the next second, she felt her legs leaving the floor as she was lifted up by an invisible force.
Seeing what was happening, Kaiden yelled, “No!” and broke out of Melissa’s protective shield. He tried to get to Aliyah but Beruka and Maleeka snarled at him, taking a protective stance before Vertimon who was channeling all his energy on Aliyah. Not wanting to accept defeat, Kaiden increased the attack rate of the deranged and they started attacking like maniacs they were, however, neither the high chiefs, nor the demon rulers, nor even the last remaining wolves allowed them to get past their formation despite how hard it was.
The giant ball of blood lifted up in air with Aliyah and she could see her vision blurring. She could feel the life an energy sipping out of her with each pounce of blood she lost. After what felt like forever but was actually a short few seconds passed, she felt the last of her energy drop and she pictured Edward and Asher in her mind, with a smile, she closed her eyes.
Vertimon closed his eyes when he sensed the last of her energy leave her and still supporting her in air, he released his hand that has been accumulating the blood and like a balloon, the ball burst, splashing blood in the air that it looked like the sky was raining blood.
“No!” Kaiden whispered as he watched his life’s work being put to end, “no, no, no, no,” he kept saying as the blood rain started taking action. The wolves and nightwalkers that the drops touched started convulsing on the ground and while the wolves shifted into their human self, the Nightwalkers passed out on the ground.
“We have to go, when this is over, they would come for us,” Melissa said and without waiting for the man’s response, she created a spell that teleported them out of the open field and they appeared on the hilltop that was a little far from the palace but they could still watch what was happening in the open space as the ground was soon covered by naked bodies of people.
Meanwhile, inside the palace where a man was lying with a baby by his side, the black rose mark on his neck glowed a faint blue light.