Chapter twenty four

“The attacks are getting more and more. I fear that we might be right, the woman knows where we are through Irene, and she must be working with the demon king. At the rate of this attacks, I fear that we will have to leave Black Wind pack,” Sean said to Rasmus and Steven.
“But where can you go? This is the only safe place for you now and you know it,” Steven said and Rasmus sighed.
“True, but we are endangering the lives of your packmates,” Rasmus said. “How many people were turned rogues last night? Twenty.”
“Yes but we are capturing them, when all this is over, we will be able to heal them,” Steven said.
Sean and Rasmus shared a look and they turned back to Steven. “The thing is, we are afraid of what would happen if that woman chose to use to Irene again. Yes she hasn’t in a week now but Irene has also not woken up which means she still has her. Irene is a strong witch Steven, if that woman makes her use her powers, I’m afraid of what would happen to Black wind pack.”
“We will cross that bridge when we get there,” Steven replied.
“No, we have to cross it now. We spoke with Aliyah yesterday and she thinks is a good idea. Steven, we really appreciate your help, God, we can never thank you enough but we can’t keep endangering the lives of your packmates. They know that we are here and soon, they just won’t be sending the deranged rogues and nightwalkers, they would be coming themselves and when they do…” Sean sighed, “we don’t want to think about what would happen when they do.”
“Steven, listen, we know you don’t want us to leave but you also can’t deny the fact that we are right about our reasons to. Listen, this is your pack, forget what they said that you are not the future alpha, you are of the alpha bloodline and that makes you an alpha. Now, there is this code that I have always loved about the night howlers, the alpha always protects. You are an alpha Steven and it’s time you start protecting your pack.”
“I am protecting them. By keeping you people safe, I am protecting them. If anything happens to her, if anything happens to the little prince, do you think that there will be any of us left? Do you think that there would be a pack to protect? Listen, I understand your worries but I need you here, you have been a great help in the fight and also I need her…” Steven sighed and closed his eyes, “I need her close where I can see her all the time and protect her when the need arises.” He opened his eyes and he wasn’t surprised to see the shock in their eyes and he knew that they have caught on, on what he was saying. “Listen, I know that she has you but I also want her to have me, I don’t want her to be entirely alone. You should understand, please.”
Sean and Rasmus glanced at each other and then turned to Steven. “I think we are not the ones that needs to understand now,” Rasmus said with a light chuckle and Sean laughed, nodding in agreement.
Steven felt embarrassed immediately and his face blushed over including his ears and neck. He cleared his throat and stood up. “I need to go check on the pack and all that.”
“Yeah, you do just that, alpha,” Sean said and Steven ran out of the house in embarrassment.
***
Aliyah stood at the backyard of the cottage. She has been feeling cold lately and she doesn’t know why. She stood staring at the pine trees that stretched out into the forest. The cottage was in the offside of the pack and every time she sees this, she always wondered why Steven’s great-great-grandmother would want to live so far from the pack. Could there have been something the woman was afraid off or was she just much of an introvert and loves staying alone? The more she thought about, the stranger it seemed but then again, it was Steven’s family history and she wouldn’t want to pry.
A bolt of cold washed over and she shivered, tightening the blanket she was using to cover herself on her body. She had been inside her room all day but it didn’t help with the cold and so she decided to bask herself in the moonlight. Sean and Rasmus are talking about them leaving and their best choice is to go back home. Steven and Sean often traveled through the tunnels to the pack so that he could see Anita and even talk with Monica. He has been lucky a few times to talk with Monica but he has never seen Anita and being as young as she was, her mind link hasn’t been developed. According to Sean, her father had said that he should tell him when they plan on coming over so that they could create a diversion for them. As much as she bought the idea, she still couldn’t get over the feeling that it might not work. She just doesn’t know why.
“There you are,” she heard and turned to see Steven walking up to her. “I have been looking everywhere for you.”
“Is something wrong?” she asked, feeling the fear rise in her immediately, maybe that’s why she has been feeling cold all day.
“No,” Steven shook his head, “I just want to talk to you.”
“Oh,” she sighed in relief, placing her hand on her chest, “I was scared.”
“Don’t be and even if you are, I will always be here for you,” he smiled and grabbed her hand, “always,” his black eyes boring into hers.
Aliyah cleared her throat and removed her hand from his, turning back to stare at the trees. She would be a fool if she doesn’t know what was happening. Ever since that talk they had before Irene attacked her, she had been noticing that he was extra gentle with her —not that he always haven’t been since they arrived here— and he keeps promising to always be there for her to protect her and be a shoulder she can lean on. She won’t say that she doesn’t appreciate his effort but it has only been three months since Edward died and she doesn’t want to move on from him just yet, in fact, she don’t even think she would and it also can’t be with Steven because once he finds his fated mate, he would leave her, after all, no bond is as strong as that of a fated mate.
“Aliyah…”
“Steven listen,” she cut him off. “I can’t move on from Edward just yet.”
Steven smiled, “I know, and I am not asking you to. I just want you to know that I will be here and when you think you are finally ready, I want to be your first choice.”
“Come on Steven, you will forget about me once your mate stands right in front of you.”
“It depends.”
“On?” she asked with a frown.
“On how you want me. If you want me around then I will reject her for you.”
“No, it has not gotten to that and I definitely can’t let you do that.”
“Aliyah,” he reached up and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, “you just have to give me that chance and see if I can…” he paused.
Aliyah looked at him, wondering what could have happened but she saw his face turn pale and soon, fear was clouding his black eyes. “What is it?” she asked, sensing then that something was wrong and as if to confirm that for her, she had a scream, a blood curdling scream and it came from the pack. “Steven what is happening?”
“Aliyah, go into your room, lock the door and don’t come out and if you think danger is coming, go into the tunnels and go to your pack.”
“What is going on?” she asked, feeling as the tears cloud her eyes. “Tell me, Steven.”
Steven closed his eyes and when he opened them, he whispered, “Nebuzars are attacking.”
“Oh my God,” Aliyah felt her heart miss series of beats. The last time Nebuzars attacked, none of them could do anything and the only person that helped was Edward but where is Edward now? Is this the fate of the Black wind pack and it was because of her?
“Aliyah,” Steven grabbed her shoulders and shook her, “come on, go inside and no matter what, don’t come out. Rather, go into the tunnels. Do you hear me?”
“Steven, it’s all my fault,” she whispered, so that was why she has been feeling cold all day? Because this is the last day of the Black wind pack?
“Aliyah snap out of it, it is not your fault. None of this is your fault, now do what I tell you. Sean and Rasmus were patrolling so I am sure they have joined in the fight. Go, I will go and call them to stay with you.”
“But we have to help, they have to help. I am a warrior.”
“You are pregnant, and you are the one they want. So go.”
“Steven…”
“Go, now,” he yelled and turned then, running at inhumane speed. Aliyah watched him, she was tempted to disobey and follow him but he was right, she can’t do anything being heavily pregnant as she was and so she ran inside and locked herself in the room. It wasn’t long and she started hyperventilating so she started looking for a bag or paper box to help her. When she finally found one, she started blowing into it continuously until she was calmed. However, she felt something tickle down her legs, wetting her jeans and when she looked down, she discovered that her water has broken.

Author's note!
I bring good news, this book is now completed on other sites. Yey!!!
If you want, you can now rush to the sites and finish the book in one sitting. I hope you enjoy it if you choose to do so and please don't hesitate to leave a comment once completed 😊
Thank you all so much, your words means a lot to me.