Chapter seventy

Sean stopped in front of the broken gates of what used to be the Blue Moon pack. They were wolves growling and attacking the few still sane ones and he easily spotted Damien trying to fight off about fifteen wolves that surrounded children. He couldn’t believe his eyes and neither could he believe that this was the very pack he left earlier that morning to go check on Aliyah.
“It’s a mess,” Steven whispered beside him but he didn’t glance at him as he shape shifted too into his human. “Should we help high alpha?”
“If they spot us now, they will all attack us,” he said.
“If Blue Moon pack is like this, I don’t even want to imagine how my pack would be,” Steven shrugged.
“That’s alpha Alan,” Sean said as he saw the big brown wolf that seemed to be leading the rest in destroying the pack. His face suddenly turned to them and they hid behind the fence immediately, peeking at him. His eyes were white and his mouth drooled, “I can’t believe this.”
“How are we going to check on Monica now?”
“I am sure she would be in the panic room with my mom and Anita, I always tell them to go in there whenever there is a fight so it shouldn’t…” Sean stopped when he suddenly sighted a small grey wolf among the ones trying to attack the children that Damien was trying to protect. “Mom?” he frowned, his eyes locked on the snarling wolf, “it can’t be…” he whispered, feeling his eyes brimming with tears as he quickly searched around but couldn’t find his father’s wolf, maybe he has not been turned but where can he be? How can he still be sane and his mom would be turned, didn’t he protect her?
“Don’t worry, I am sure when all this is over Aliyah can heal them,” Steven whispered to calm him down.
Sean was still chiding his father in his mind when a grey wolf jumped from behind Damien and landed on his back. Damien growled and using his alpha powers, throw it away before any harm could be done. “Monica,” he said and tried rushing into the pack when he saw where the wolf landed.
“Sean, no,” Steven whispered, trying hard to keep him steady in order not to give away their hiding place but Sean was proving hard to tame and kept trying to get free to run to Monica who was now lying still after clashing on the wall and falling on the ground. Having no other choice, Steven had to use his alpha strength to pin Sean on the fence and his eyes glowed blue as he said to him, “get your senses back Sean, there is nothing you can do.”
“She is hurt!” he replied, panting heavily as he tried to push Steven away.
“And what can you do? Risk going to her and drawing the rest of the deranged attention and then end up being bitten by her? Let me tell you something Sean, you can only help her if you are sane, so get your act together and let’s figure out how to signal or help high alpha.”
His words seemed to have gotten to Sean as he calmed down and stopped fighting him.
“Come on Sean, you have always been the one with the brain around here, now I need you to put affection aside till we figure out what is going on. This could be the end of the Night Howlers and Nightwalkers race if care is not taken. Now, I don’t need a male trying to protect his female, I need my friend who always seem to know how to sum everything that is happening up. And trust me, if you can do that, you will be protecting her.”
Sean sniffled as the tears ran down his cheeks and he wiped them off forcefully, he glanced at Steven who was watching him and letting him catch his cool and nodded, sniffling once more and rubbing his eyes. “You are right, this won’t help,” he dapped at his eyes again as he kept sniffling. “You are right.”
“Hey,” Steven placed a hand on his shoulder and when he looked at him, he smiled, “we will get through this, we always do.”
Sean nodded and turned to peek into the pack again, his eyes going to where Monica was lying before only to see that she was back on her feet and snarling at Damien once more. He sighed, wishing there was a way he could help her but he knew his only chance is with Aliyah and he would need to keep his sanity if he wants to see that happen. Now he wondered where she could have hidden Anita, he was sure as hell that she wouldn’t have been with her when she was infected.
“Sean?” they heard and turned back sharply to see a figure walking out of the woods. When the naked body stepped out under the moonlight, Sean gasped seeing that it was his father and he was carrying a baby that had a cloth tied around her mouth. “What are you doing here?”
“Dad,” Sean said and walked up to him, taking Anita from him and kissing her forehead before raising an eyebrow at his dad.
“I’m sorry,” Aton said, “she wouldn’t stop crying and I don’t want to draw attention on us. I intended to untie it when we are far from here though.”
Sean nodded, “Mom and Monica…”
“I know,” Aton sighed, “I was on my way to the palace to meet you. It had been so hard sneaking out from the panic room but we succeeded, though I regret leaving Scarlet there but there is nothing I can do, I can’t carry them both.”
Frowning, Sean asked “what happened to the Luna?”
“Honestly, I don’t know. She seemed to be in a deep sleep and no matter what I do, I can’t wake her up, neither did the noise of the crying pups still in the panic room.”
“Why?” Steven asked.
Aton glanced at him and shrugged, “I don’t know. I just met her like that in Aliyah’s room when I had rushed over to get the alpha after the fight broke out.”
Sean turned and peeked at the pack, “how do we get Alpha Damien out of there? If he remains there then he might be turned.”
“He is just waiting for me to get out. We can’t get the children but as far as we know, they are safe here. Without their wolves they can’t get infected so…” he shrugged. “I will just mind link to him now that I am out and…” he stopped when a sound like a howl roared from the woods. They all glanced at the woods and soon, they heard paws beating the ground as the wolves started rushing out. They gummed their bodies to the fence immediately and closed their eyes as the wolves ran out of the pack and into the woods. The Nightwalkers joined as well, jumping from tree tops and soon, the night was awfully quiet like a stampede hadn’t happened like fifteen seconds ago.
Damien growled and Aton rushed to him immediately, “are you okay, High alpha?” he asked and the big Grey wolf shook its fur before its blue eyes landed on them. Aton nodded, getting the confirmation he needed in the mind link and then his eyes went to the chaos behind the wolf. What used to be a mighty pack was nothing but chaos and destruction. “How did it get to this?”
“I think we are the only sane wolves at the moment, with Aliyah and Gerald of course,” Steven said.
“Is this the end?” Sean asked, untying the cloth on Anita’s mouth and tossing it on the ground.
‘We have to go over to the palace, something tells me that’s where they are going. No matter what, we shall see the end of tonight,’ Damien’s voice rang loud in their minds.
“Yes, High Alpha,” they chorused before the sounds of bones shifting took place as they shifted into their wolves. Sean carefully grabbed Anita’s cloth in his mouth, making sure that his teeth doesn’t graze her delicate skin. With Damien’s command, they all rushed into the woods with Damien leading them.