Chapter thirty five

Catherine removed the towel she placed on Aliyah's forehead and turned to the patient man behind her and sighed. "Well, it was tough but she will live," she smiled.

"Oh God," Irene sighed loudly in relief while placing a hand on her chest. She turned to Edward and smiled but the man didn't return her smile as his gaze and attention was on the unconscious Aliyah. She turned back to Catherine and said, "that's a relief, how long do we have to wait for her to wake up?"

"In a few days, she is out of danger and I must commend you, witch, your work was flawless. I never knew that witches can successfully operate C-section. This is an eye opener."

"Oh, don't be like that, it's just years and years of practice," Irene smiled.

"Practice, what for?" Catherine asked.

"Well, I have worked as a mid-wife to the humans for a long, long time, it all came due today and I am more than happy that I knew of it. We just panicked a little when it took long for her heart to beat, it has never taken that long in humans before and Sean suggested we come get you."

"Yes, but you forget that she isn't human and things that are applicable to them won't be on us, werewolves. But the good thing is, you successfully birthed the young prince, and the mother would live, all thanks to you."

"I am happy to be of a help," Irene nodded with a gentle smile.

Catherine's gaze went to the crib by the bed and she walked to it, "so this is the little prince," she said and when her eyes landed on the black-haired beauty, she turned sharpy to Edward, "this is a mini you," she smiled but like always, Edward didn't join in her humor and she didn't seem to mind, her eyes going back to the child. "What is wrong with him, I can't sense his alpha powers."

"He doesn't have it," Irene said.

"What do you mean by that, everyone saw Aliyah demonstrate it that day in the hall and besides, every first male child in the alpha family has the powers, why are you telling me otherwise?"

"It's not like he doesn't have it but a wizard had fed Aliyah a potion that numbed the powers, I am trying to concoct a potion that reverse the power of the poison. It won't take long. Right at the moment, he is only a demon child but once I concoct the potions and feed them to him, he would regain his alpha and nightwalker powers."

"Oh, I see, you can make the potion?" Catherine asked.

"Yes, I already have the ingredients."

"I see. What are they?" she asked, turning to look at Irene.

"Oh, it's rabbit heart, tortoise shell..." Irene was answering but then paused, "why are you asking though."

"Just to know. I am a healer, I like knowing things that deals with health. If it wasn't for my inquisitive spirit, I wouldn't have saved Aliyah's leg when she was poisoned by Garuda flower and wolfsbane."

"Oh, but you don't need to worry about that. Only a witch can concoct such potions."

Catherine smiled, "that is understandable," she replied and reached her hand into the crib to touch the baby. However, the baby's eyes snapped open then and she was thrown away from him. She got herself before she could land on the floor and stare at the crib in surprise. Edward and Irene were shocked at that as well and Irene rushed to the crib to carry the baby. The baby closed his eyes as she picked him up, going back to sleep and seeming a little weaker that he once was, courtesy of using his powers.

"What just happened?" Irene asked, staring at Catherine who was clearly still in shock.

Catherine shook her head, "I cannot begin to explain. You saw me, I only just wanted to touch him and then he..."

Irene sighed with a nod, "that is expected, it's a defense system. Clearly, he doesn't want you touching him."

"Clearly," Catherine responded with a deep breath.

"Why can't I see your wolf?" Edward finally spoke up and Irene and Catherine glanced at him to see his burning gaze on Catherine.

Catherine frowned, "my prince, what could you mean?"

Edward looked intently at her but shook his head two seconds after, "never mind, she's there."

"Thank you," Catherine sighed, her gaze going back to the baby in Irene's hand. "Is he already going to be as saucy as you?"

However, Edward ignored her and just went to sit beside Aliyah on the bed, he could feel the mating mark spark getting stronger which was a clear sign that she was coming back, guess the healer is really good at what she does. He reached up and caressed her face, he can't wait to see her looking at him once again or even smiling at him. He closed his eyes and thought of her smile and he felt a strong warm feeling flushing in his cold heart that he shivered.

"We should go," Catherine whispered and Irene nodded, seeing that the man had his eyes closed. They quietly left the bedroom while she held the sleeping baby. She knew the name Aliyah had always wanted to call him but she wants the girl to say it first to the boy's hearing, it was her right and she won't let anyone take it away from her.

As they stepped outside the room, they say Sean and Steven discussing and they came up to meet them, however, Rasmus rushed in then, looking pale and shocked. "Where is my prince?" he demanded.

"Rasmus, is everything okay?" Irene went to him to hold his hand but the man's eyes were scared and urgent and so she answered immediately, "in the bedroom."

Rasmus nodded and walked past her and throwing open the door. They all leaned by the door to hear his report. Edward didn't turn even though he knew someone had entered. Rasmus went on his knees immediately with his head bowed. "My prince, forgive me for my intrusion but I had decided to go back to the demon palace to know if there is any information I could gather there about the Demon king but I ended up witnessing a fight between the Cat and Snake demons. It was obvious from their word exchange that they each want to claim the Demon throne. I knew you would like to know about this, that was why I brought the news back to you as fast as I can?"

"Why should it matter to me?" Edward asked, surprising not only Rasmus but the eavesdroppers as well.

"But...My prince, what Hephzibah said this morning, you are the rightful king. You own the demon fire so the throne belongs to you."

"I don't want to be any king!" Edward yelled, turning then to face Rasmus with his burning blue eyes. "I have never wanted to be king, not as a human and definitely not as a demon. If the demons want the throne, they should be my guest. My only priority is keeping my mate and son safe, any other fight has nothing to do with me."

"But my prince, you can't say that. You are the only one that could save our race and that of your mates. If you don't help, the demon king would keep turning wolves and nightwalkers deranged and if that happens, we would all be extinct. In what world would your mate and son live in peacefully?"

"I will create a new world for them."

"But my prince, that is not right. You can't really ignore the needs of our kind, can you?"

"My dear Rasmus, it seems that your nose has lost it's power. Smell me, do I smell like a nightwalker? You lured me out where 'our' very kind teamed up with the enemies to kill me and your very father had plunged the bark into my heart, killing the part that make me a nightwalker or one of you. Now, I am mainly a demon and if I want to become a nightwalker once more, then I will feed on you and the rest of the second generation and third generations. With your powers combined, I can revive my nightwalker's part. So tell me Rasmus, are you willing to sacrifice your life and that of your parents to make me one of you again?" Edward asked with a raised eyebrow and Rasmus couldn't believe his ears. All he could think about was the dried corpse of the nightwalker they had seen that morning. So it was true, the prince is the predator of the nightwalkers?

"Exactly, just what I thought," Edward said, his eyes going back to their normal midnight blue. "You don't want to die, and since you don't want that, never you mention the demon throne to me again or your ashes would be the first painting it would get in five hundred years."

Author's note
And here we have Rasmus, the loyal servant 😊