one

✧˖*°࿐  THE START OF SOMETHING NEW
HSM

"Look at it as a helping hand. You know the plays, you've been playing your whole life." Chris smiled lightly at his daughter, his eyes flickering between her and the contract.

"So, I have to sign this and I'm, like, in it?" Aven furrowed her brows, tapping the pen on the countertop.

Chris nodded. "It's just for legal purposes. Once we do the draft, you'll be initiated. We have our team dinner where you'll get accustomed with everyone."

Aven hummed, signing her name on the line. Her dad shooting her an approval nod as he slid the paper across the table to Lindy Ruff.

Lindy cleared his throat, sealing the paper in the folder. "We're glad to have you on the team, Miss Taylor. We've heard you know the game well."

"Yeah." Aven shifted awkwardly. "I haven't played since, uh, doesn't matter. I'm a bit rusty but I'll get it down."

Aven stared at her hands, the red dress tight on her body, hair slicked back. Her father tapped her arm as they stood. The draft being televised, she felt her stomach twist.

Her heels clicked, drowned out by the chatter of the people in the room. Aven stood beside her father, watching him approach the microphone to speak.

She looked into the crowd, feeling eyes from every corner.

"On half of the Devils, we want to thank everyone. We have an amazing lineup this season and we're looking forward to adding some great talent. This year we have my daughter, Aven Taylor, joining us as an assistant coach." Her father introduced, peering over at her with a proud grin.

Aven smiled, tilting her head up with a slight nod as the applause made her cheeks turn red.

"With that being said, our first pick from the USA Team is...Jack Hughes."

The brunette approached the stage, his smile bright as he shook everyone's hands, throwing the jersey over his head proudly.

He stood beside Aven, glancing over at her as she stared forward. She swallowed, his cologne filling her nose.

Aven followed the rest of the coaches, Jack trailing behind her. The long table filled with people representing the Devils.

She sat, the unfamiliar boy sitting beside her in silence. He turned to her, sticking his hand out. "I'm Jack."

"Aven." She took his hand, her lips in a flat line. "Congratulations."

"Yeah, you too." Jack grinned. "Assistant coach is big, you know hockey?"

Aven chuckled, leaning closer to the table. "Uh, yeah. I used to play." Jack raised his brows, taken back. He laughed lightly.

"Oh, wow. Sorry, I didn't expect that." Jack bit his bottom lip.

"Really? Why?" Aven asked, their eyes meeting as confusion was written on her features.

Jack shrugged. "You just kinda look more like a cheerleader."

Aven parted her lips with a laugh. "You know, I think as a coach...you're gonna be benched. Like, forever."

"No, no." Jack palmed his face. "I just, shit, sorry. Not making a good first impression am I?"

"You're definitely making an impression." Aven raised her brows at him. "But, I'll take it as a compliment. First pick is impressive, you must be good."

Jack scratched the back of his neck, adjusting his collar. "I'm not one to brag."

"Oh, shut up." Aven cut him off, waving him off. "That's what they all say. Especially when they're really good."

"Depends on the day." Jack dragged his tongue along his bottom lip. "But I'll take the compliment, yeah?"

"Mhm." She hummed, rolling her eyes. "Well, for practice next week, you better be top performer."

Jack folded his hands, glancing towards her. "I'll score a hundred goals for you."

Aven couldn't help but feel her stomach tingling with butterflies as her lips lifted into a smile. "That's so thoughtful of you. I'll appreciate every one."

Jack winked at her, causing them both to laugh, cheeks turning a light shade of crimson.

live love laugh JH ❤️‍🔥