twenty-one

✧˖*°࿐ HE SAYS HE WANTS TO AS WELL
BUT HES A LIAR
regina spektor

Aven had her arms crossed over her chest, the locker room smelling like fresh odor from the boys practice.

Chris came to stand beside her, laughing softly to himself. "What did you think of the practice?"

"Uh, I thought it was good." Aven nodded, glancing at Jack as he stared at the two intensely. "Do you actually have a moment to speak after practice?"

"Sure, honey." Chris smiled, rubbing her shoulder. "Make your way to my office in ten."

Aven nodded, watching the locker room slowly empty as she sat beside the brunette. "He said to meet him in his office."

"Did you tell him I was coming?" Jack asked, throwing the red sweatshirt over his head before brushing his hair back, a backwards cap concealing his sweat.

She shook her head. "I didn't really give details." She played with her fingers.

"Av." Jack sat beside her, taking her hands in his lap. "I'm gonna be there. We're doing this together."

"I know." She breathed, furrowing her brows. "This is just nerve wracking. I mean...what if he, like, makes me leave or..."

Jack grabbed her chin, cocking her head up. "We're gonna take it slow, babe. Just trust me."

Aven forced herself to nod, following behind Jack as the exited the locker room, complete silence between the two as Aven knocked on the glass door of her fathers office.

He sat at his desk, glasses on his face as he peered his head up, raising a hand gesturing for her to come in. "Ah, Jack." Chris chuckled in confusion, the brunette having a closed-lip smile on his lips as he shut the door.

"Hi." Aven sat, moving closer to the table as she watched her father place his glasses on the stack of papers, closing his laptop.

"Whats going on?" Chris asked, looking between the two. "Is everything alright?"

Aven parted her lips, staring down at the light wood. "There's something I need to tell you." Her father nodded, waiting for her to continue. "Jack and I...uh, we, like..."

"We're together." Jack finished, grabbing her leg as it bounced up and down.

Chris's face fell, the look of confusion now replaced with betrayal and sternness. "I'm not sure I understand. Together? Like, as in...dating?"

"I was gonna tell you earlier." Aven shook her head with a pleading look. "It's just, you made this whole big thing about not dating anyone on the team."

"For a reason." Chris sighed. "Was it that hard to follow? I can't be mad at you, Jack. But, Aven..."

Aven shut her eyes, keeping her head down, avoiding her father's gaze. "Im sorry. I know I wasn't supposed to but I just couldn't help it."

"So, this explains the rushing out of practice and how slacked out you've been, Jack. Do you see how this is effecting your life on the ice." Chris leaned forward, staring harshly at the teenager.

Jack parted his lips, seeming to have a moment of realization. "Uh, Yes. I didn't really notice."

"That was my point." Chris leaned back, jaw slacked. "You've been so caught up in my daughter and being with her that you can't see the reason you were brought here, is barely benefiting us."

"How is that true?" Aven spoke up, shaking her head. "Jacks been incredible. Yes, he's slipped up but he's a rookie."

Chris shook his head. "Rookies make mistakes because they aren't used to playing on an elite level. Rookies don't make mistakes because they're too busy staring at the bench or being late to practice because they're with the coaches daughter."

Jack scratched the back of his neck, furrowing his brows. "I'm sorry I'm letting you down."

"Don't apologize." Aven narrowed her eyes at her father, turning to Jack. "This isn't your fault."

"You're right, Aven." Chris nodded slowly. "It's yours." He cleared his throat. "Aven, go home. I need to have a word with Jack."

Aven parted her lips, her face growing hot as she flicked her light eyes between the two. "Jack..."

"Just go, Av." Jack spat, staring at the desk as he couldn't bring himself to look at her.

Aven glanced her father once more before exiting the room, letting the door shut with a slight slam as he paced, breathing harshly.

Minutes and minutes passed as she sat with her face in the hands, her knees bent as she sat in Jacks locker cubby.

The door shutting to the locker room had her jolting. Jack walked in, cracking his knuckles as he sulked.

"Jack?" Aven stood, her voice didn't make him flinch as he stood still, her body coming to stand before his. "Jack." She picked his chin up, their eyes locking.

"He's thinking about trading me, Aven." Jack bit the inside of his cheek, staring at the wall behind her. "Guess I was first pick for nothing."

Aven pulled her brows together, their shoulders rubbing together as he sat on the bench, his last name written above him. "I'm sorry. We're gonna fix this. I'll talk to him..."

"There's no fixing it, Aven." Jack snapped, but stayed calm. She bent down, her knees hitting the floor. "He said that one of us has to go."

"Then, I will." Aven shrugged. "You should suffer the consequences. I mean, we can make it work still."

Jack shook his head. "Loving you puts my career on the line." Jack sighed, finally making eye contact with her. "I'm sorry, Av."

Aven felt tears brim her eyes as his thumb came to meet her cheekbone. "Are you breaking up with me?"

"I'm doing this to benefit both of us. You deserve to be happy and be with someone who can give you what I can't." Jack lifted his hand to tuck her hair behind her ear.

Aven blinked, wiping her eyes. "Fine. I'm not gonna beg for you. I should've listened to my dad."

"Av..." Jack soothed, his hand falling to his side as she stood, shaking her head as she hurried from the room, leaving Jack to groan, cursing to himself as he stared at the walls.

oh, it's only getting juicier from here.
also, 7k reads i love you all.
cheers to that & jacks 100 goals.
so proud of my baby 🥹🥹🥹