twenty-two

✧˖*°࿐ YOU TOLD ME YOU LOVED ME
SO WHY DID YOU GO AWAY?
taylor swift

"Hey, honey." Chris knocked, holding a cup of coffee as he poked his head into her office, furrowing his brows. "Aven...what are you doing?"

"I'm leaving." Aven said dryly, the stacks of work papers on the desk as she grabbed her personal belongings,stuffing them into the box.

Chris laughed in shock. "What? Where are you going?"

"You can't trade him." Aven crossed her arms. "We broke up. I'm not gonna be selfish and crush his dreams just because my father won't let me see him."

"I'm sorry, Aven." Chris sighed, guilt across his features. "I just want what's best for the team."

Aven nodded with a closed-lip smile. "I get it. All good. I'm gonna reapply to Michigan. I can start for their after break semester if they want me. Maybe even play hockey."

"Michigan? Hockey?" Chris set his cup down. "Aven, calm down. You don't play hockey anymore."

"What if I want to? You're gonna tell me I can't do that too?" Aven shot back. "I'm not gonna sit around and let days pass. I wanna do something with my life."

Chris nodded. "I understand that. Is that what you want?"

"Yes." Aven nodded. "Of course what I actually want, you don't. So, second best thing. Starting over."

"I'll talk to the head coach at Michigan. I'll see what I can do." Chris leaned across the table, squeezing his daughter's hand. "Thank you for understanding."

Aven hummed as he left her office, she rolled her eyes at the back of his profile before taking her bag off the table. As she shut the door, the small box fell from her shelf, she furrowed her brows.

She bent down, picking it up as she flipped over the small card attached to it.

"Merry Christmas. I love you. From, Jack." Aven breathes shook as she sat, unfolding the white ribbon delicately.

Her head tilted with tears building in her eyes, the gold necklaces lying on her palm as she flipped over the square hanging from it.

"I love you to infinity." Aven bit her bottom lip as it quivered.

"I dropped it off before practice." Jack stood in the doorway, making her jump as she stared at him. "I was hoping you'd find it. I...I got it for you and I just thought I should give it to you."

"Thank you, Jack." Aven forced a smile, glancing back down at the necklaces in awe. "It's really beautiful."

Jack nodded with her hands folded, rocking on his heels. "Uh, Merry Christmas. Even though it's in a few days."

"Yeah." Aven pulled her brows together. "I, um, got you something." She stood, walking to the end of her office as he followed, she opened her closet. "I thought i'd have time to wrap it."

Jacks face light up as his eyes widened. "Av." His hands came to grasp the hockey stick as he flipped it over gently. "The CCM Jetspeed. Is this the FT6 pro one?"

"Yep." Aven smiled softly as he couldn't tear his eyes from it.

"This is expensive, Aven. You shouldn't have." Jack laughed lightly, her eyes narrowing at the small detailing under the blade, on the hosel.

JH #86

"Oh, yeah." Aven peeked over. "I got it custom. Just thought I'd make it more special." She shrugged with a chuckle.

"Thank you." Jack beamed, wrapping his arm around her, pulling her into his chest. Aven kept her palms pressed to his chest, her head tilting slightly into his neck as she shut her eyes momentarily.

He pulled away after a few seconds, sadness taking over his face as he forced a smile. "I hope my new teams will at least have my number."

"You don't have to worry about that." Aven swallowed, his face now twisting with confusion. "I'm leaving."

His lips parted with shock. "What? Aven, no. I can't make you do that."

"You're not making me do anything." She laughed, reassuring him. "I'm actually kinda happy. I'm gonna go to college. Guess this isn't for me after all."

Jacks features were anything but happy as she shrugged. He forced a nod, his voice hoarse. "Yeah, okay. I wish you luck."

"Thanks." Aven brushed his arm. "Thank you for the necklace again. I'll see you around."

Aven walked past him, feeling her eyes prick as she picked her things once more. "Merry Christmas, Hughes."

this one's a tearjerker.
thank u for 9k 💌