thirteen

✧˖*°࿐MY LOVERS THE SUNLIGHT
hozier

"It's impossible to dislike you." Jack smiled, their eyes meeting through the mirror as he latched the hook of her necklace.

Aven smoothed out her dress with a head-shake. "Yeah, what if they don't approve?"

"They will." Jack nodded, his hands digging into her hipbones as he kissed the side of her face. "I know it."

She nodded, trusting him as he held her hand, keeping their bodies side by side as they kept their intertwined fingers hidden.

They loaded onto the bus, Aven placing her hands on her lap as she sat beside Jack, as always. Nerves were scattered on the bus from the biggest game of the seasons. The New York Rangers.

"Nervous?" Aven asked, bringing her hand to fix his tie.

"Only a bit." Jack shrugged. "They're just really good."

Aven smiled softly at him. "Yeah but so are we. Plus, I should be more nervous."

Jack shook his head with flat lips, flickering his eyes between hers. "You're so special, Av."

Her lips turned up as she squeezed his hand. "What would I do without you?"

"Die of boredom." Jack shrugged. "I'm just the funniest person on this planet."

Aven hummed. "Yeah, definitely. If hockey doesn't work out you should switch to stand up comedy."

"Really?" Jack asked, beaming.

"No." Aven pursued her lips, breaking their eye contact as she stared at the seat before her, keeping her lips tight as she attempted to hide her laughter.

"Wow." Jack clicked his tongue. "I think our story might be over."

Aven glanced at him. "Yeah, okay. In your wildest dreams."

"I would never dream of that." Jack kissed the side of her cheek quickly, slouching back in his seat as he stared at the back of his coaches head. "Close one."

After the short ride, the Devils hurried off the bus, feeling cameras on them from the crew. Aven walked steadily in front of Jack, holding the folder in her hand.

"Let's do this thing." Jack muttered as they walked into the locker room.

"Jackey!" An older woman cheered, her blonde hair behind her ears as she embraced the boy, holding his face. "Oh, honey."

Jack blushed, placing his hands on her shoulders as she admired her second oldest.

An older man behind her brought his son in for a hug, tapping his back. "Looking sharp."

"Yo, Jack." The curly headed boy chuckled, the two hugging momentarily as Jack hit his shoulder, making him whine.

Aven watched, a smile on her lips at the reunion.

Jack glanced over to her, watching her awkward stance as her hands were folded across her stomach. "This is Aven."

"Aven!" The woman hugged her. "Congratulations on this position. I'm Ellen."

Aven smiled widely at her. "It's so nice to meet you."

"Jim." He stuck his hand out, Aven quick to take it as she shook it firmly.

"Uh, Luke." He nodded, the two shaking hands as he glanced at Jack wide-eyed. Jack scoffed, shooting his brother a scolding look as Luke stared at Aven.

"Boys." Ellen sighed. "I don't know how you deal with them everyday."

Aven laughed. "The team is definitely interesting. They keep me on my toes for sure."

"They must." Ellen nodded. "So, you played hockey?"

"Uh, yeah." Aven eyed the brunette teasing his younger brother. "I used too. I'm not really in that scene anymore...so coaching is second best. I mean, I love the sport."

Ellen beamed, scrunching her nose. "That's amazing Being so young you're living the dream."

"Yeah. I'm so grateful for everything. It was definitely nerve wracking." Aven folded her lips into a line.

"I could imagine." Ellen squeezed her shoulder. "He can't keep his eyes off of you."

Jack stared at Aven, his eyes drifting from her to his father, back and forth.

Aven bit her bottom lip. "I think he looks at everyone like that."

"Definitely not." Ellen chuckled with a smile. "It's funny. He kinda made this promise to himself to only focus on hockey but seems like he's focusing on a lot more."

Avens lips parted as she breathed, shaking her head. "Mother knows best, right?"

"I do." Ellen nodded, shooting her a wide-eyed glance as Jack approached them.

"I'm glad to see you two getting along." Jack grinned. "I hate to steal her away but we've gotta start getting ready for this game."

Ellen scrunched her nose up. "She's amazing. You choose a good one, Jack. Honey, you're welcome any time."

Aven smiled brightly. "Thank you, Ellen. It was so nice meeting you all."

"Told you." Jack muttered after they bid their goodbyes, his hand coming to squeeze her lower back as he kissed her jawline.

Aven laughed at the tingling sense left by his lips. "Yeah, yeah."

ellen>jack