fourteen

✧˖*°࿐ I HOPE YOU MEAN IT WHEN YOU SAY THAT
peter mcpoland

"Doesn't matter the outcome of this game, Jack. I'm proud of you no matter what." Aven kissed his lips softly before clipping the helmet around his head.

"My Aven." Jack smiled, holding his stick as his large gloves hit her back gently, joining his team on the walkout.

The starting players lined up on the ice, the arena quiet for the star spangled banner. Minutes later, the puck was dropped in the ice, Devs having control.

Jack was rammed into the boards, Aven cringing as she narrowed her eyes at the opposing player.

Jesper had the puck, his skates flying between the blue jerseys as he lifted it, leading it directly into the top of the net.

"Devils score!"

The team cheered as they boys huddled on the ice. First period was over, the score tied 1-1.

"We just need to sharpen up." Aven cleared her throat. "There's too many openings for them to get close to our net. If you don't want them to score, then we need defense. Think of it as...not letting them get remotely close to Vitek."

The boys nodded, talking amongst themselves as they hydrated. Aven sat beside Jack, keeping a slight distance. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired." Jack rubbed his eyes, his hair sticking to his forehead.

"Was that hit as hard as it looked?" Aven asked, rubbing his pinky with her own, her eyes flickering up to her father every few seconds.

Jack glanced down at the small touch. "I honestly was too focused to even feel it. I'm okay."

"Cmon, boys." Ruff wilded them up, adrenaline pumping through them during the second quarter.

Jack was quick with his stick, going behind the net before dumping into the goal, giving them the lead.
This continued, shooting goals, one more going in.

By the end of the quarter, the game had been 3-2, the Devs having the lead. Third quarter came quick, every fan on their feet with anticipation as the play unfolded.

Shouts and applause mixed from the crowds as the Devils scored again, showing a dominating side towards the Rangers.

The few jersey fans scattered in the mix of colors smiled brightly as the seconds ticked, then Devils have a clean 5-2 victory over their rival.

Aven hugged Nico tightly as the horn blew, signaling the end of the game. "We did it!"

"Yeah we did!" Nico's swedish accent was thick as he celebrated, tapping his teammates on the head as they walked back through the tunnel.

Aven listened to the coaches congratulating the boys on their victory, her eyes glued on the brunette as he took his gear off, his smile never faltering.

She walked out of the locker rooms and towards the bathrooms.

"Hey, honey." Chris jogged to catch up with her, she tuned her head with a small smile, facing her father.

"Hi, dad. What's up? Is everything alright?" Aven asked with furrowed brows as her father nodded.

Chris wiped his hands on his jacket. "Yeah. When we get back to New Jersey, there's someone I want you to meet."

"Oh, who?" Aven cocked a brow, intrigued.

"He's going to be interning. He wants to do something in marketing but he's with our team. Same age as you and everything." Chris smiled proudly. "Gives you a break from the hockey players."

Avens lips parted. "Yeah, sure. It'll be nice to a have a new friend."

"Mhm. "Friend." As long as it's not one of my players, feel free." Chris joked, but they both knew he was serious.

Aven forced a laugh, her father hitting her arm gently as he walked away, back to the locker room. Avens face fell as she breathed deeply.

"A friend, huh?" Jack had his lips in a flat line, coming around from behind the corner, his expression talking for him.

"Jack." Aven swallowed. "You know that's not what I want. I'm sorry."

Jack shook his head. "You did a good job covering for us. Just make sure he doesn't get too close to you or else this hockey stick is getting shoved up somewhere."

"Oh, I won't." Aven nodded, taking his hands in hers. "Besides, there's no one else for me. I just hate how secretive we have to be about us."

"Someday, Av." Jack moved a loose hair behind her ear. "We might just have to break the news by sending him an invitation to our wedding."

Aven gasped. "Don't spoil it! Don't tell me you're about to drop down on one knee."

Jack chuckled, kissing her forehead. "In the next few years. I'll practice my form until then, I'll make it perfect for you."

"Then I'll have to say yes." Aven groaned, playfully.

"You didn't have a choice."

chris = cockblocker
or maybe he wants jack...
3k reads!! smooches for all
thank you <3 so forever grateful.