thirty-five

✧˖*°࿐ WHEN YOU KNOW, YOU KNOW
lana del ray

Aven was silent. Aven was silent for an hour and twenty minutes. She slammed the car door shut as they had finally made it home, quick to open her front door.

"Okay, slow down." Chris shouted slightly, setting his keys down as he stared at his daughter.

She walked to the kitchen, grabbing a glass of water as she drew her eyes up to meet his. The red and glossiness of her eyes made him frown.

"Aven, what's gotten into you?" He asked, desperation in her voice.

She shrugged. "Nothing. I'm fine."

"It's Jack, isn't it?" Chris swallowed, watching the way she nearly flinched at his name. "This is all my fault. I just wanted to make this easily adjusting for you."

"What do you mean?" Aven asked, furrowing her brows together.

Chris glanced down at the marble counter. "There was no, like, official rule. I just made that up to protect you. I mean, yes it would've distracted him and it did but I wanted to protect you."

"Protect me from what?" Aven tilted her head to the side, knuckles growing white from her tight grip on her cup.

"This. You getting hurt. He was an eighteen year old hockey player coming into the spotlight...I knew he was gonna break your heart. I didn't want that." Chris admitted, a shameful look on his face.

Aven shook her head. "That's not true. I'm hurt because of you. Because you didn't let us be together. We were...happy."

"I'm sorry honey." Chris apologized with a frown. "You just deserved better."

"I guess I deserve better in a lot of categories." Aven shot him daggers, shaking her head as she placed her cup in the sink, brushing past him quickly as she reached her room.

She locked the door behind her, sitting on the edge of her bed with her purse still slung over her shoulder, she opened the bag, running her thumb over his distinct hand writing.

Aven took her phone out, groaning to herself as she placed the puck in her top drawer, falling onto her back.

"hi." The text popped up on her screen, having her sitting up with furrowed brows.

"who's this?" Aven bit her lip, watching the bubbles appear.

"your favorite hughes 🤪." She chuckled, shaking her head. "how'd you get my number, luke?"

"jack." He replied shortly. Aven gulped. "oh, sweet."

"anyways. you're coming to the devils new year party right? please. please." She could picture the pleading look on the boys face.

"i'll be there! drinks on you?" Aven replied with a laugh.

"i'm a minor. so are u! lol. yeah, i'll ask quinner."

Aven smiled to herself, tucking her knees into her chest as she named his contact. She brought herself to social media, staring at the photos in her feed.

And, there was that stinging pain in her chest as she clicked on Siennas profile.

Her feed littered with photos of Jack. Even ones with her adorning his jersey. Aven felt sick, she felt cowardly as the jealousy grew. She brushed her hair from her face, placing her phone down on her bed.

"You're better than this." Aven mumbled to herself, sitting up on her elbows as she bit her bottom lip.

She flopped over on her stomach, scrolling through the instagram app as she clicked on dms. She stopped until she found his name.

"hi, mark! thanks for everything the other night. sorry i was whacked." Aven felt like a child, the way her hands shook as she pressed send.

Minutes later, her phone buzzed.

"all good :) glad you're feeling better." He responded, her eyes running over the message numerous times.

"thanks! i hope i didn't say anything crazy."

"not at all! you're super cool. it was nice to talk to you. we should hang when breaks over."

Avens eyes widened, overthinking the simple message as she shifted on her elbows.

"i'm so down! can't wait."

She watched as he hearted the message, she slapped her hands over her face, rolling over onto her back as she felt her sheets mess up beneath her.

With shaky hands, she held the necklace, brows furrowing as her fingernail slipped between the gold.

She pulled it off her neck gently, narrowing her eyes at the jewelry as it opened. It wasn't just a necklace, it was a pendent.

A picture of Aven and Jack in the devils locker room. It must've been Zoey that had taken it. His forehead pressed against hers as her hands lifted to cradle the side of his face, keeping him close.

Aven chuckled the necklace across the room, folding over to her side with tears building.

a little texting...
this chapter is just to break up
the timeline a bit LOL
30k 🎉🩵