thirty-seven

✧˖*°࿐ I KNOW I SHOULD, BUT I COULD NEVER HATE YOU
billie eilish

Avens head was still throbbing as she placed her fingers against her temple. She sat at the long table, memories of last night flashing through her mind.

She had decided to come for brunch considering her flight wasn't until later that evening. Bella sat beside her, batting her eyes at Dawson.

Aven rolled her eyes with a chuckle, picking her head up as she watched the doors open.

Luke was the first to walk in, adjusting the sleeves of his sweatshirt as Jack was behind him, smiling happily at the brunette girl trailing beside him.

Aven felt nauseous. She covered her mouth before taking a sip of water, keeping her eyes locked on her plate.

"Sleeping beauty." Luke's voice had her glancing up as he sat across from her, his brother and his girlfriend sitting beside him.

"Fuck off." Aven groaned, shaking her head. "How bad was your hangover?"

Luke raised his brows slightly. "Fucking horrible. I'm never drinking again."

"Sure." Aven laughed, he mocked her face before flipping her off. Her eyes couldn't help but trail towards the older Hughes.

He sat there, running a hand through his hair in a light gray t-shirt. Aven swallowed, flickering her eyes to the light-eyed girl beside him.

She laughed at something he said. Aven hated her. She flipped her hair from her collarbone, leaving her tan skin on display.

In that moment, Aven could feel her heart begin to shatter.

The necklace adorned her neck with perfection. Aven seethed, her eyes finally blinking as she caught Jacks eyes.

"That's a pretty necklace." Zoey complemented.

Siennas face lit up as she held it. "Isn't it? Jack got it for me."

The guilt on his face with evident as he looked between her necklace and her. Aven could feel the chairs vibration as she scooted out quickly. "Excuse me."

"Aven." His voice called slightly as she rushed out of the dining hall.

Aven could feel her chest heave as she rushed down the hall.

"Aven!" Jack called out, grabbing her wrist.

She spun around, shoving his chest. "Don't touch me. Don't even fucking speak to me."

"Let me explain." Jack pleaded slightly. "Please."

"Explain what?" Aven slapped her hands on her outter her thighs. "That you're a fucking asshole? You don't need to explain that, I already know."

Jack pinched the bridge of his nose. "I fucked up! Okay. I know. I'm sorry. She found it, what was I supposed to do?"

"I don't know why I expected anything more from you." Aven spat with hatred. "My dad was right. I wish I would've followed his rule."

"You don't mean that." Jack fought. "You don't. Look at me and tell me you regret it."

Aven couldn't. She stared down at his shoes. "I don't regret it. But I do wish that it was different. We were both better off."

"That's bullshit." Jack shook his head. "And your dad was right? What's that all about?"

"There was never a rule." Aven admitted, watching the way his face twisted. "He made it up. He made it up to prevent all of this. He didn't want me to get hurt."

Jack continued to shake his head. "That's not fair. And you think that's okay? He's the reason we're not even together, Aven."

"Maybe." Aven shrugged. "But you got over it quickly."

"I'm sorry." Jack apologized. "She was there and I needed someone. But I thought about you since the day you left. I still do."

Aven rolled her lips into her mouth. "Well don't anymore. 'Cause I want nothing to do with you."

"I don't want to lose you, Aven." Jack stepped closer to her, her legs bringing her backwards, creating space. "Aven."

"It's too late." Aven pursued her lips.

Jack breathed, furrowing his brows. "So, what about everything you said to me last night? What, are you just gonna blame it on you being drunk?"

"I meant what I said." Aven admitted, pressing her lips together. "But I shouldn't have said any of that. We need to stop doing this. We can't keep going back and forth."

"I don't wanna lose you more than I already have." Jack rocked on his heels, looking desperately between her eyes. "I love you."

Aven blinked, shaking her head. "I love you too. But you need to let me go."

She brushed past him, his hands wrapping gently around her wrist had her turning to face him. He stared at her with regret before dropping her arm, watching as she walked away.

thank u @Eclaire5
for the idea!!!